Modded Rubies ANH DDC Defender (Leia's) blaster

Inquisitor Peregrinus

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Joining my (badly in need of updating) Merr-Sonn build and my custom Westar-34 build is this newcomer to my stable. Some may already know it from the five seconds it was available online before the mad frenzy wiped out everyone who had them stocked. :p I managed to score a few for myself and a couple other folks.

So this is what I started with:

71nkSIWvvXL._UX679_.jpg

All the Margolin parts are dead-on. The Veyron Tomtit model radial engine cylinder bit is loosely accurate -- the distance from front fin to back fin is correct, the number of fins is correct, but the spacing is off, the tail end is too long, and the part inside the fins is supposed to step down from a larger cylinder to a smaller, rather than tapering like it does here. And the coil bit is the wrong length and diameter and number of coils.

So, as is my wont, I did some careful butchery. :D After taking measurements, the barrel went bye-bye...

DSC02364_zpsy0dhgpn6.jpg

...the sight mount got carefully removed (and is most of the way though cleanup and prep)...

DSC02365_zpsy1aesazl.jpg

...and I hollowed out the muzzle brake to get rid of the post that was helping join the two halves just inside the barrel opening (also, said opening is slightly to small). I filled most of the compensator with plumbers' two-part epoxy putty, cut in the vent before it set up, and have drilled out a pilot hole along the bore (need to get it to a drill press to drill out the barrel bore). Still some other cleanup left here, too.

DSC02366_zpsm4bn3z1e.jpg

Now, on to construction... As I've said elsewhere, I like to think of myself as a bit of a virtuoso with K&S brass tubing. Here are all the parts for the build (except for the coil) laid out:

DSC02367_zps9xpeww2k.jpg

...and with the different subassemblies started:

DSC02368_zpsym1e9nb1.jpg

At the top, that's a 1/4" brass tube, the inner diameter of which is the right size for a Margolin's bore. I'm using that for the spine of the barrel. Below that, from the muzzle back, the aforementioned modded compensator, one of the original Tomtit engine cylinders, the "plug" that slips down that central tube to help lock those pieces together and keep the barrel centered, then the substrate for the coil -- the rearward projection of which the sight slides onto, the sight, the next bit of tubing locks the sight up against the forward barrel, then the next plug for the main barrel, then the main barrel, then the rearward projection for it, which goes on last and will help anchor the barrel into the breech, with the help of more epoxy putty.

Now I need to sort out the coil and continue cleanup...

-Jonah

I'll be watching as I want to see if I can get any ideas for my mod.

Currently, I am thinking of cutting the barrel at the point between the coil and the front sight. I want to enforce the entire barrel with metal rod or tube and then have it extend out to use as the base for my add on coil, grill, and muzzle.

Like you, I also have the tomtit part. I am thinking of getting a 3D printed muzzle from shapeways.

Let me know if you find a good cord for the coil.

The muzzle that is part of the toy is pretty much perfect in dimensions and durability. I removed that post and the molded in notch, and the glue holding the halves together hasn't even twitched.

Reason I scrapped the entire barrel is I wanted to ensure roundness and not have to fiddle with smoothing the seamline. Also, so that the forward extension was the same diameter as the rest of it.

--Jonah

Last edited:
Very cool...watching your progress with great interest

Frank: You´ll be getting a resin cast of an actual muzzle along with your kit. You´d have to file out the slot and drill a hole, but it´s still better than a 3D printed part IMHO ;)

Markus

Yesterday evening I snagged a power cord to connect a Jackrabbit battery pack to some flavor of a/v equipment for 99 cents at Goodwill. One of these:

Dynalite_JR_UNI_G_Jackrabbit_II_to_UNI400JR_1232686800000_264202.jpg

Which is nice, because it retails for $70.

Now, since making this blaster and using some for the scope-thingie on my Merr-Sonn build will use up a quarter of this cord, I can get four or five more Defenders' worth of lengths out of this cord if anyone wants them. Markus, Paul, Frank -- I'm giving you guys first dibs.

Now to see what I can get done today...

--Jonah

Yesterday evening I snagged a power cord to connect a Jackrabbit battery pack to some flavor of a/v equipment for 99 cents at Goodwill. One of these:

http://static.bhphoto.com/images/im...abbit_II_to_UNI400JR_1232686800000_264202.jpg

Which is nice, because it retails for $70.

Now, since making this blaster and using some for the scope-thingie on my Merr-Sonn build will use up a quarter of this cord, I can get four or five more Defenders' worth of lengths out of this cord if anyone wants them. Markus, Paul, Frank -- I'm giving you guys first dibs.

Now to see what I can get done today...

--Jonah

I might take you up on that. I was just at my local goodwill and I saw a coiled car cord for an iPhone for $1. I am going back to take a look because i wanted to a measurement on the cord before buying it.

Frank: You´ll be getting a resin cast of an actual muzzle along with your kit. You´d have to file out the slot and drill a hole, but it´s still better than a 3D printed part IMHO ;)

Markus

Yep, got it today. It is a nice cast. Drilling the hole... can do. File... do you think my wife's pedicure file will work? :p

Just an addendum to mention the tubing I used is 9/16" for the barrel segments, stepped down in 1/32" increments to 1/4". For the bit that seats in the narrow end of the engine cylinder, it's stepped up two layers, even with the part end. Also, not shown was the slightly trimmed-down 1/2" CPVC pipe coupling that I use to join the muzzle piece to the engine cylinder.

--Jonah

Just an addendum to mention the tubing I used is 9/16" for the barrel segments, stepped down in 1/32" increments to 1/4". For the bit that seats in the narrow end of the engine cylinder, it's stepped up two layers, even with the part end. Also, not shown was the slightly trimmed-down 1/2" CPVC pipe coupling that I use to join the muzzle piece to the engine cylinder.

--Jonah

:cry:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:confused:eek:(:facepalm

Why are these suddenly so hard to come by? It seems they went under the radar for a while and then within the last week or so, poof, all gone. Aside for there being a mad run on them, did Rubie's pull the product?

Why are these suddenly so hard to come by? It seems they went under the radar for a while and then within the last week or so, poof, all gone. Aside for there being a mad run on them, did Rubie's pull the product?

I don't want to this thread away from Jonah's build, but we are discussing such info here: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=241937

@Jonah, what size tube/rod would I need to fit down the existing barrel. I would want it to slide in easily,

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back