Mjolnir kit, 3D printed

StormTheGates

Hi guys. I've been working on a personal 3d printing project in between time spent on games art contracts, in the form of a Mjolnir kit build. I do 3D games art for a living but I've done very little 3D printing so this is quite ambitious. I was just wondering who of you out there in RPF land have experience with 3D printing large/1:1 scale props and replicas?

The model isn't quite finished yet, still doing adjustments to shell/wall width and haven't decided yet how many pieces to split it up into, but here it is as it currently stands. Printing the handle might be a bit overkill, but I wanted a thread so that it can screw into the head. Also considering filling the head and/or handle with a mixture of resin and sand for weight and solidity. Experimenting with 3D printing can get very expensive very quickly, so it's something I'm keen to minimise.

mjolnir_WIP_04.png

I found a good 3D model earlier this week and have been researching how to get it printed. Found a commercial business locally that can actually print the thing in one piece, still need to work out the best way to approach it though. They can also 3D print in metal :D

I found a good 3D model earlier this week and have been researching how to get it printed. Found a commercial business locally that can actually print the thing in one piece, still need to work out the best way to approach it though. They can also 3D print in metal :D

I'd be very wary of that if the model has not been made 3D print ready, you could get all kinds of weird errors/misprints which can start to get expensive. There are places I know of that can print the head in one piece, but it starts to get very expensive because of how much space it takes up in their big mass production 3D printers.

This video may also be of interest to you guys, it shows how the Mjolnir props for Thor : The Dark World were made using an interesting type of 3D printing that I think involves firing UV light into a big block of liquid or powder.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. If anyone can tell me what it is they're painting it with in that video I will love you forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
The printer in the video is a SLS printer. It spreads a thin layer of powder and then a laser hardens/melts the powder. It then spreads a new thin layer on top of that and so on.
Have you tried uploading your file to Shapeways or a similar service? The website checks your file for errors and gives you a price. They print in plastic and several metals.

Have you tried uploading your file to Shapeways or a similar service? The website checks your file for errors and gives you a price. They print in plastic and several metals.

For a bit of fun, just tried the model I have - $42,000 to be printed in Stainless steel :lol

I think it looks like they plated the hammer in that video. Nickel plating maybe. Then it looks like simple washes to get the texture.

Ok so on further viewing it's definitely metallic when they are painting it, so that step is skipped over. Nickel plating is certainly looking likely! Hoping to have something to show by the start of November for when London Film and Comic Con comes down to Brighton.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back