Mjolnir / General Paint Durability Help!

ChiCubsGordon24

Hey Fellow Makers!

I'm hoping I can get some suggestions on painting techniques. I'm having an issue on my Mjolnir prop where the paint is rubbing off fairly quickly from use as seen in the attached pics. I 3D printed everything in PLA plastic and SLA resin. I have a layer of primer then paint then clearcoat. Curious about other techniques that can be used to make a more durable finish that will withstand handling and use. Any help or links to other threads would be great.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190926_184408.jpg
    20190926_184408.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 287
  • 20190926_184456.jpg
    20190926_184456.jpg
    801 KB · Views: 269
  • 20190926_184501.jpg
    20190926_184501.jpg
    740.7 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
I would suggest a thicker clearcoat layer and better prep inbetween layers. Clearcoat shouldn't come off so easily unless scratched. Rubbing off is unheard of to me. What brand are you using?

I typically use automotive-grade acrylics, since they seem to be more forgiving then enamels at least IMO.

Well specifically in the handle rings its a resin print followed by a coat of rustoleum primer. Then 2-3 light coats of Alclad II paint then the Alclad Aqua Gloss sealer. I'm assuming maybe the resin print was too smooth?

What about cerakote? It's a durable gun coating application. Last I recal they had two versions, one you can bake on, and one that was air-dry. I think the bake one was only like 10-15 mins and you can bake pla in the oven to harden it.

Were the resin parts washed thoroughly with alcohol and soap and water after that to get rid of any and all residue from the printing process before priming?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back