MILLENNIUM FALCON 5' REPLICA

The vents were bespoke handmade items by ILM, pretty sure of this. Each vent is unique if you really look hard. Very slight differences between the six, which leads to the belief these were handmade, probably from acrylic. I chose one particular vent & drew from this & which served as the master for casting copies. This is why we get slight varienences in measures.
The vents are one of these parts that can look so wrong, or be spotted as 'off' viewing a Falcon model. Too tall or too flat. The top ring is a tricky thing to get right, it's all in the diameters to achieve 'the look'.
Of course to determine the vent size, the surrounding kit parts are the true guide, along with photogrammetry.

AAHHH! Where would we be without 3D Printing eh. Back to old school.:lol: Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing how you tackle the interior. Will it be Full or Partial?

Stu, I agree. I hadn't thought about this part much until now but it is certainly one of the focal pieces of the ship. I remember looking at these for quite some time when the Magic of Myth tour, and Science Meets Imagination exhibits came through Sydney. The beauty of the smartlouvre and the fan beneath was totally mesmerising. Especially the bent and worn louvres.

So great to hear how you arrived at your measurements for the piece. They look fantastic in both yours and Sean's threads.

The result that I got was fairly rough so its hard to know how much faith to place in it. And can't argue that the kit parts are the best means of ultimately determining the scale. Yours and Sean's builds stand testament to this for sure!!

Cheers,

AAHHH! Where would we be without 3D Printing eh. Back to old school.:lol: Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing how you tackle the interior. Will it be Full or Partial?

Cheers Nick...not sure what u mean by interior. I will be doing the cockpit with lights and windows, but there's not much else I can do on this model, interior-wise

Terrific work! Impressive to see all the renders.

Just one comment - you appear to be going for an ANH look, judging by the bottom pits. But the ANH Falcon didn't have headlights on the mandible tips, if that matters. :)

All done on the underside apart from a few pipes.

Getting the sub-assemblies slotted in was a relief too
DAwLIY3l.jpg

LIdRmPul.jpg

Of course it all needs priming and painting
uBG4rrkl.jpg
Qcrzu56l.jpg

NL5CySwl.jpg
QgsNSnRl.jpg

So next up is tackling the cockpit

Happy New Year guys...so a bit of a break but just about ready to start painting

Sorted out the rear engine lights and stuck a light in the cockpit too. Also tried a bit of weathering to get a feel for what she needs.
And finished the dish

thSMbG9l.jpg
OYo0FyEl.jpg

KIjIriYl.jpg

Just idling bright or...lightspeed skipping bright!
wVEhrMNl.jpg

Holy goodness how are you getting this done so fast and so amazingly?

Truly awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:):cool::p:D(y)(y)(y):love::love::love::love::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::D:D:D:D:D

OK sorry for the hiatus on this build but there was a re-stocking issue with the paints, which are from Guy at Archive -X. I have to say if u are looking to paint any Star Wars model then do not do so without these paints! They are perfect colours...exactly what u are hoping for when undertaking a prop like this. Really nice paint to use from a brush or air brush, great opacity and durability. I used the enamel range and boy, did they deliver for me. They look authentic to the period and just feel right.

Anyway here she is, finished.
First the initial blocking in of the plate colours and some washes, topical damage, etc
J2rfLDGl.jpg
v1EIsB8l.jpg

Then adding the dish/rings and the rest of the damage, scratches, carbon scoring with yet more weathering/decals
tzNmT8el.jpg

ov5PVqfl.jpg

58KzBcwl.jpg

hSDe9Arl.jpg

Xd6PYdll.jpg
raEwlOPl.jpg

wysmN4Xl.jpg

I'll be sure to get some better pics once she's in her new home but I want to say a huge thanks to everybody on the RPF who helped on this project...I had a blast making her

Perfect! :love: I've dreamt of building a studio scale falcon for a long time! You've absolutely nailed it! Congratulations!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back