Metro 2033 guns

BoxDimension

Hi everybody,
I'm a fan of the game series Metro and I'm planning to make a replica Duplet shotgun from the game. However, I don't happen to have the dimensions for the gun which is a problem. Can somebody help me out by giving suggestions? Thanks.

Advice on what material to use and how to make it look realistic would be great too. Thanks.
duplet.png

The dimensions of any item in a video game are a bit arbitrary. The best you can do is select a distinct part of the gun and select a real-world object and try to scale it to that.

One method is to find an image of a similar real-life shotgun, and look for similar features. Such as the barrels, trigger, and grips.
In a program such as SketchUp, or a photo editing program, you can pull in both images overlay them, and measure the in-game object.

This guide at Punished Props is a good start: https://punishedprops.com/2015/11/17/prop-gun-scale/

As far as making it realistic, you can look at other shotgun builds here on the RPF. Some people use painted PVC for the barrels, some people have even taken apart real shotguns and modified the wooden stocks and triggers.

Also keep in mind what your goals are. If it's for a costume, and you want to be able to pose for pictures the same way in game characters do, you may not even want an accurately sized prop.

If the character your dressing as is short and lanky, but you're tall fit, you may want to look at making the prop larger than you otherwise would, so that it's in scale with the character you're portraying.

Goes the other way to. If you were making weapons for a God of War costume, you don't want them "real size" because Kratos is a giant monster, and you'll look ridiculous carrying around an axe that's half your body length when it's only the length of the character's fore arm in the game.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back