Metal Movie Cap Shield on a budget **DONE!! FINAL PICS ON PAGE 4

Re: Metal Movie Cap Shield on a budget

Looking good!

Yeah, I would wait a day for full cure. The paint may seem dry, but may not really be after a few hours after. I made the mistake on one of my earlier shields trying to move to the blue paint too fast, and when I masked the red, some of the red came off when I pulled the masking tape off because I didn't wait long enough. It was a few hours, and it seemed dry, but it wasn't.

Here's the nut I used on the back of the large metal assembly which the smaller clips attach to. You can get them at any Ace Hardware. They are called T-nuts ... I think. Some have little metal teeth that you can bend down so you can mount it flat to the back of the shield. I used one like "C" in the second picture, with no raised teeth. Simply drill a hole for the raised threaded part to stick through and secure it to the back with some JB Weld. No drilling into the sled itself.

Last edited:

Here's the nut I used on the back of the large metal assembly which the smaller clips attach to. You can get them at any Ace Hardware. They are called T-nuts ... I think. Some have little metal teeth that you can bed down so you can mount it flat to the back of the shield. Some, like "C" in the second picture, have no raised teeth. Simply drill a hole for the raised threaded part to stick through and secure it to the back with some JB Weld. No drilling into the sled itself.

oh wow, and here i thought you were using binding post screws like this
Shop The Hillman Group 3/8" Aluminum Phillips Flat-Head Post Screw at Lowes.com=

I've gotten some PMs asking about the mounting tape. It's a 3M product used for exterior use. It;s INCREADIBLY strong. I used a 3" piece to hold the bracket in place temporarily and I could hardly pry it back off. Another option, although a bit pricier is a professional product called 3m VHB tape. It's what is used in automobile to attach panels, etc. But it might cost you $30 for a roll. The stuff below should do.

3M 4011 Scotch Exterior Mounting Tape Super Strong 1 By 60 Inch #6012884 at HardwareAndTools.com

Thanks for the thread Valor, Ill let you know how my painting goes tomorrow. Im all taped up and ready to go.

Painting the blue as I type ... well, kinda. Attached are some schematics to help with building the bracket assembly on the back. The small clip image is to scale. The larger piece is also to scale but also has dimensions to help if you can't print it full size.

Links appear to be dead :cry:cry

Man, this is really good. It is awesome that you were innovative enough to make an amazing shield without breaking your budget. Great work.

Mask it first, then use a scalpel at the end of the compass, like how he did the sand paper. This way you can draw with a marker and then repeat and go over with a scalpel or exacto knife.

By the by Valor, the duplicoat paint if frakkin awesome. I used one whole can just for the red, after the 4 th coat, she was practically perfect. Tomorrow night it should be cured. Cant wait to paint the blue on, if its anything like the red, it starts out light but by the third coat she deepens the color.I like a dark cobalt blue look. Thanks again for the tips.

Well I spent today putting a laquer clear coat on. A ton of it. It has dulled the beautiful depth of the anodizing finish, but I believe I can get it back with wet sanding and polishing after it cures.

Valor, Thanks for all the wip pics and the tutorials! Was curious, how did you go about cutting the rolled edge trim? what tools did you use?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back