Meet the Dragonfly class Hvy Tender: Agro

Capn Rahn

Hey folks, an old-timer here returning after a looo...ooo...ooo...ng hiatus and I got stuff to show.

After an incident a coupla years ago involving some no-good-niks and unknowing Joss Wheadon, I decided to compile ALL of my writings {20 years or so} into me own Universe.

3 years later the foundation and framework are complete, as are dozens of stories and hundreds of story/character etc. arcs.

But here I plan to show the coupl'a dozen 'study models' of starships I have been constructing.

I hope to get honest and detailed opinions with the cavet that none are finished - all are in various stages of completion.

So - you folks game?

Oh yes - The Cap'n has returned ... :eek

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SmilingOtter @ Dec 30 2006, 07:44 PM) [snapback]1387239[/snapback]</div>
Absotively. And welcome back. Sorry you got assimilated and all...
[/b]

Thanks. Heh, I iz the one who assimilates and all that ... :angel

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lord_Gita @ Dec 30 2006, 08:21 PM) [snapback]1387257[/snapback]</div>
Sure, what game are we playing?
[/b]

Heh, the game is "Who can give an honest detailed opinion." beyond using single words or phrases such as "Cool", "Very Neat", "Looks good", "That Suks", "Whatta cra*fest" etc ...

Some OLD pics {2 years ago} coming soon...

BTW, is'na kitbashing sorta like assimilation?. :D

EDIT
*rap - no old pics to be found - must dig up cmaera, clear table and reshoot... arrrggghhh

The Cap is back in the HOUSE..... Great to see you on the board again. I can not wait to see some of your stuff.

-Bryan

Ok, here are a few pics of the ICV* Agro*;CCN* 1313-H*

Yes, it is neon orange - for now ... and yes there IS a reason ... bwhahaha AND it lacks the engines and wings - 4 of 'em.

ALSO: It should evoke a memory of another ship ...

ANYHOO PICS...

Look deep into my eyes...

AgroB.jpg

Aft View ... of course.

AgroA.jpg

Close-Up of the "Rail Engine" detail

AgroMED.jpg

Underside of the 'neck'

AgroND.jpg

Port Side

AgroP.jpg

Aft and Slightly Dorsal

AgroDA.jpg

Bottom.

AgroV.jpg

Engine/Wing Detail One

AgroE1.jpg

Engine/Wing Detail 2

AgroE2.jpg

OK, there iz something to yap about - 'member : T'aint finished ... but poke away and ask any questions...

*IVC=Impendent Vessel-Cargo
Agro=Australian slang for aggressively angry
CCN=Construction Contract Number
H=Heavy

WHOOPS - I fergot...

Thanks for the hearty "Welcome Back" guys...

I hope to be around and contribute fer quite awhile now that I am back on my feet again. I HATE being infirm... bleech.

Well Capn, im a newbie here, but i can see the similarities in your craft and another, I loved the TV series, and the movie and it was a shame that it all got cancelled.
Would this be a type of Reaver ship? I always thought thier ships were pretty interesting being cobbled together for certain purposes.
I also wish that, That universe shouldve been explored more.
So, what up with the orange paint?
And what size is she?
I see you like to use Star Trek parts alot.
I know alot of questions but im interested.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Apophis @ Jan 6 2007, 02:37 PM) [snapback]1391689[/snapback]</div>
Well Capn, im a newbie here, but i can see the similarities in your craft and another, I loved the TV series, and the movie and it was a shame that it all got cancelled.
Would this be a type of Reaver ship? I always thought thier ships were pretty interesting being cobbled together for certain purposes.
I also wish that, That universe shouldve been explored more.
So, what up with the orange paint?
And what size is she?
I see you like to use Star Trek parts alot.
I know alot of questions but im interested.
[/b]

Ship Type: LOL, no not Reaver, but I can really see why that could be seen as that. It is actually a medium/heavy cargo ship - about 100 ft or so longer than Serenity. The Agro is my homage to Firefly/Serenity, Joss Wheadon and the whole Firefly crew {production and ship}.

Neon Orange Paint: Does anybody remember a submarine movie called "Operation Petticoat" with Cary Grant? It was pink, but you get the basic idea.

Scale: N-Scale appox 295' beam {length}

Parts: Yep - Enterprise Cut-Away, Runabout, NX-01, DS-9, Maquis Raider and others - BUT there is also Typhoon Class Sub, F-117 Fighter, Star Destroyer, Robotech CatsEye Recon, Anakin Skywalkers Pod Racer, Freightliner Semi, Stingbat Experimental Helicopter, Lost In Space Movie Jupiter 2 and lots and lots of rod stock - half round, quarter round and triangular stocks. OH and my homemade putty: Purple Ships Tar.

I used to do a little moddin' and kitbashing for Trek clubs- thus a BIG collection of Trek models to cob parts and greebles from. I pick up any neat models that are going clearance to add to my 'boneyard' of parts.

It looks like a really nice level of detail. The F117 really works well. I especially like the section on the back with the dish. Very cool overall.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(altername @ Jan 7 2007, 08:15 PM) [snapback]1392479[/snapback]</div>
It looks like a really nice level of detail. The F117 really works well. I especially like the section on the back with the dish. Very cool overall.
[/b]

Thanks, I was woried that the F-117 was TOO recognizable. But over all it looks good to me. What does the 'face' of the Ago look like to you {anybody}?

I have added some more to the ship, so I will post some more pics. At least with the neon orange base you'll be sure to tell what are the new parts.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Capn Rahn @ Jan 8 2007, 09:03 PM) [snapback]1393257[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(altername @ Jan 7 2007, 08:15 PM) [snapback]1392479[/snapback]
[/b]

Thanks, I was woried that the F-117 was TOO recognizable. But over all it looks good to me. What does the 'face' of the Ago look like to you {anybody}?

I have added some more to the ship, so I will post some more pics. At least with the neon orange base you'll be sure to tell what are the new parts.
[/b][/quote]

1st it's a wonderfull job of kit-bashing. :D and it's very interesting to look at for sure. Every thing looks like it relates to each other and it has a purpose.The only thing I don't like about it is it looks very unique...... until you see the the cockpit it screams Iam a stealth fighter up here.Now Iam not sure if this supposed to look this way or if it was intended to be totaly original.Iam not a fan of massive kit bashing on a build, I like to see the basic hull and structures but thats just me. :D You have done a wonderfull job and only you have to like it thats the bottom line, this stuff is supposed to be fun.
Regards,
Michael

OK I know that you saids you didn't want it but... wait for it... Its cool.

Now for the critique (AND THIS IS ONLY BECAUSE YOU ASKED FOR IT...):
  • The stealth fighter is too recognizable - prehaps a few antenae sticking out the front, or a small solar panel or too ;)
  • The Botom of the ship - even unfinished as it is - doesn't match the "style" of the top half. Its too "guts on the outside" when compared to the topside of the ship
  • While the operation pettycoat reference is cool - Its Too loud, as it sits. Perhaps some decaling and extra paintwork on some of the sub-assembles can tone down the "I'm Orange"
Now for the Praise:
  • The fit of the sub-assemblies is nice a tight
  • The peices look like the belong together and have purpose
  • The "style" of the firefly universe is absolutely captured, and this easily captures the "feel" of a sistership to Serenity
Very nice - Really

Jedi Dade

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(3D-builder @ Jan 8 2007, 09:26 PM) [snapback]1393278[/snapback]</div>
1st it's a wonderfull job of kit-bashing. :D and it's very interesting to look at for sure. Every thing looks like it relates to each other and it has a purpose.The only thing I don't like about it is it looks very unique...... until you see the the cockpit it screams Iam a stealth fighter up here.Now Iam not sure if this supposed to look this way or if it was intended to be totaly original.Iam not a fan of massive kit bashing on a build, I like to see the basic hull and structures but thats just me. :D You have done a wonderfull job and only you have to like it thats the bottom line, this stuff is supposed to be fun.
Regards,
Michael
[/b]

Thanks Michael.

LOL, yep I am more of an 'engineer' than an 'Artist'. As a general rule, I know what a part does before I add it on.

On the cockpit windows: I have added 'sills' using half round stock to change the shape of the window. I'll have to put up some more pics soon.

This is actually more than fun - this ship is a small part of a bigger universe I am building with the intent of making films in some media or other. That is why I am showcasing some of the ships before I have them scanned or digitized. Just to get a general 'feel' of what 'makers' and collectors like/dislike and the reasons why.

Heh, but I AM having fun...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jedi Dade @ Jan 8 2007, 10:00 PM) [snapback]1393310[/snapback]</div>
OK I know that you saids you didn't want it but... wait for it... Its cool.

Now for the critique (AND THIS IS ONLY BECAUSE YOU ASKED FOR IT...):
  • The stealth fighter is too recognizable - prehaps a few antenae sticking out the front, or a small solar panel or too ;)
  • The Botom of the ship - even unfinished as it is - doesn't match the "style" of the top half. Its too "guts on the outside" when compared to the topside of the ship
  • While the operation pettycoat reference is cool - Its Too loud, as it sits. Perhaps some decaling and extra paintwork on some of the sub-assembles can tone down the "I'm Orange"
Now for the Praise:
  • The fit of the sub-assemblies is nice a tight
  • The peices look like the belong together and have purpose
  • The "style" of the firefly universe is absolutely captured, and this easily captures the "feel" of a sistership to Serenity
Very nice - Really

Jedi Dade
[/b]

LOL, OK OK - Thanks Jedi Dade. I still love the first-impression reactions, so bring 'em on.

Yep - working on altering the look of the f-117 - pics coming soon.

The bottom of the ship {in the above pics} looks like a de-nuded turkey carcass after Thanksgiving. It has the furthest way to go before being finished.

In addition the the "Operation :petticoat", the neon orange was to 'homoginize' the base color - most folks can't seem to see past the multicolored parts {like on the bottom} to see the whole ship. The vents and other items {that wouldn't be 'Simonized'} will be shaded appropriately, jet exuast, rust, chrome and the like. Not to mention that I have several shades and a 'clear' of neon orange to enhance the scale with hi-lights and shadows.

Thanks - I try to trim pieces accuratly, but my purple putty is a GREAT aid in filling large gaps.

As to Firefly - I hope it is not TOO close to Serenity. It is supposed to be a homage, not a rip-off ... hopefully.

I like it. I agree with all the praises so far.

You could reduce the reconizability of the stealth fighter by changing some of the geometry. Especially the cockpit. The trim might not be enough, IMO. If, when filling the cockpit void, instead of continuing the structural lines to a point like the original canopy, you could draw a line between them, basically chopping off the nose. Or even add a rounded enclosure. That, and adding greeblies that break the lines of the stealth fighter structure, could help disguise it.

I don't mind an orange ship, but neon? Perhaps a much flatter orange, with weathering and panel lines, etc.

(I, for one, enjoy seeing kitbashes before they are painted, with all the different colored parts. ;) )

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treadwell @ Jan 9 2007, 02:48 PM) [snapback]1393774[/snapback]</div>
I like it. I agree with all the praises so far.

You could reduce the reconizability of the stealth fighter by changing some of the geometry. Especially the cockpit. The trim might not be enough, IMO. If, when filling the cockpit void, instead of continuing the structural lines to a point like the original canopy, you could draw a line between them, basically chopping off the nose. Or even add a rounded enclosure. That, and adding greeblies that break the lines of the stealth fighter structure, could help disguise it.

I don't mind an orange ship, but neon? Perhaps a much flatter orange, with weathering and panel lines, etc.

(I, for one, enjoy seeing kitbashes before they are painted, with all the different colored parts. ;) )
[/b]

Hey-O Treadwell. Thanks, I hope the mod I have done will help. I was also thinking of using the engine cowling from a classic Cylon Raider just behind the eyes.

LOL, Yes, I will be shading the neon orange - I've got about 6 shades of neon orange and even a clear orange. The story arc for the neon is as thus: Low on $$$ the Cap'n of the Agro tells the Agro's ShipWright to go ahead and find the cheapest anti-ablative paint - well, never tell an engineer to get anything 'cheap'. The ShipWright gets the neon orange cheap because of an over-order by the local DOT for safety orange for markers and the like. Very tough stuff, but BRIGHT orange. The Shipwright INTENDED to get a basic matte black to cover the undercoat ... BUT...

While in the paint drying dock {Think a HUGE hanger with postionable plasma light assemblies to 'set' the paint.} chaos ensues and the Agro and Crew have to make a hasty departure just as the final undercoat is finished - or nearly so. The idea is going from so hot to cold during the setting time of the paint changes its properties. For the good or bad, I don't know yet... hee hee.

Anyhoo - PICS.

NEW COCKPIT WINDOW DETAIL - Will be silvering the little downpointing triangle at the bottom.
AgroCP.jpg

NEW TORX ENGINE DETAIL
AgroPSED.jpg

NEW PORTSIDE DETAIL
AgroPS.jpg

NEW UPPER BOW VIEW
AgroUB.jpg

I would think that an orange hull would be a good thing in some cases. If you have an emergency in space, chances are you'd want to be as visible as possible.

Just like Galactica's "Blackbird," but in reverse.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back