Meet the Dragonfly class Hvy Tender: Agro

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aegis159 @ Feb 3 2007, 02:09 AM) [snapback]1410633[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Capn Rahn @ Feb 2 2007, 06:04 PM) [snapback]1410537[/snapback]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aegis159 @ Feb 2 2007, 06:29 PM) [snapback]1410335[/snapback]
what, am I a buzzkill or something? hehehe..
[/b]
LOL, no. I've been sick for a week and not really been on the comp or even working on much of anything.
Heh, more later - including a response to your comments.
But now - off to the bathroom...:eek:
[/b][/quote]
Doh. No hurry there.
[/b][/quote]
Surely you'd want him to get to the bathroom in a hurry.? :p

J/K

No, seriously... looking forward to updates, when they are ready. :thumbsup

Get well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aegis159 @ Jan 26 2007, 08:39 PM) [snapback]1405480[/snapback]</div>
Looking good so far there Capn.

Few thoughts....

First, the color. I understand the use of the color in context to the overall backstory for your 'verse, but in the photos all of the details are completely washed out by the neon orange color. A grey primer or even as others have said, the part's original color would be better to start with while you're still adding pieces to the bird. You can always paint the ship with an orange at the end. Oh and i would second the notion of using an orange like safety orange rather than a neon orange...

Second the canopy/scale of the ship ratio. While the ribbing you added does add some more detailing to the exterior of the ship, following the same lines that the F-117 fuselage has done nothing to disguise the origins. This is even more evident in the canopy area. Also keeping the same canopy lines doesn't allude to the scale you've said you're shooting for.... It still looks like one big canopy, only now it's framing is more rough looking. Breaking up the profile of the forward section will help with this, as well as adding more separation between the two+ decks in the bridge section. I've done a VERY fast and rough version just to try and get across a little of what i'm talking about. You'll also notice that I greyscaled the image and it's a lot easier to see details on the nose section ....

Keep the updates coming..
[/b]

Yer right abut the grey - I wanted to see how 'glaring' the Racing Orange {Model Master spray} would be. It will all depend on how the CG version looks with various 'oranges' on her.

Ok, I am not sure about the revised cockpit - not finished, but I did wander about your suggestion path...

Not pretty, but it should clenat nice-like and I need to add a few more windows {portholes?.} in line from the horizontal points of the blue diamond {Pilots Den}. I've got some other ideas, but need to dig around in my gazillion parts to see what I have.
... Yep, Armored Veritech thrusters there 'in' the shoulders.
AgroD03.jpg

Tacked on detail for the 'booster' thruster ...
AgroE03.jpg

The 4 engines and wings - in progress... More Robotech.
AgroTE00.jpg

I think I am going to clean up all the paint and Sharpie marks {hee hee - Sharpie cleans up with alcohol.} and get crackin' on finishing this pup up.

Notice you're very generous with your purple filler. Are these pictures taken when it's still wet and prior to you smoothing it out, or are you letting it dry all gloppy like that? Is it easy to remove or are you faced with sanding hell?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treadwell @ Feb 10 2007, 04:47 PM) [snapback]1415981[/snapback]</div>
Notice you're very generous with your purple filler. Are these pictures taken when it's still wet and prior to you smoothing it out, or are you letting it dry all gloppy like that? Is it easy to remove or are you faced with sanding hell?
[/b]

I use it to fil HUGE gaps where a FLAT panel of styrene won't quite work. It shapes beautifully.

Easy as styrene to carve and if you don't pre-treat the join with Tenax {my suspension fluid for my putty formula} it can pop off {no damage} with a bit of effort AND you can toss the bit back into the putty bottle and reuse it - even with paint flecks in it - the welder dissolves the bonds in the dried paint and mixes with the putty. The paint/putty I put in a seperate bottle - just in case. So far the weakining of the putty due to Model Master paint 'flecks' suspended within has not occured.

Sanding - very nice ... and using a panel scriber on it dosent chip like other puttys I've seen {Aeromans anybody ...bleeeech}

All In All: It works pretty good.

I don't mind the orange so much, but I would weather the ever lovin' crap out of it to tone it down a bit.

Also, in the future, I'd also recommend working in the original parts' color or hit everything with a grey primer, just to make it less distracting.

I like where you're headed with this though - can't wait to see more progress.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Brass @ Feb 11 2007, 09:17 AM) [snapback]1416385[/snapback]</div>
I don't mind the orange so much, but I would weather the ever lovin' crap out of it to tone it down a bit.

Also, in the future, I'd also recommend working in the original parts' color or hit everything with a grey primer, just to make it less distracting.

I like where you're headed with this though - can't wait to see more progress.
[/b]

Thanks. LOL, yeah about the orange ... I got a wild hair and had shot it with a coat, just to see ... :lol ... oh well, sometimes ya just can't wait. And I have 7 or so variants of orange in my paint kit - so IF I decide to have the perm. base color as the "Operation Petticot" paint-job I will be able to "weather the crap out of it".

I think I will clean it up and leave the 'natural color' of the parts, but post b/w pics - just to be even less distracting. :p

Well I got both the rear wing joint/bases installed and have gimmicked up the wings themselves to piviot with Aeroplane RC pivot hinges - the really big ones. I also cut the brass stock down the proper level on the engines themselves. Just to be able to start manufacturing the caps ... it is moving along, still slow, but still progress.

Then I started the starboard/bow engine joint/base ... gonna need more bashign to get it to 'level' properly in the x-axis - I but I got an idea... pics soon to be...

Ok, here it is with 3 of the wings on ... and a quite a few other changes - can ya spot 'em?.

Wings are variable on the Z-axis and the engines themselves spin in the X-axis relitive to the wing. That is if I got my axis' labels right.
AgroWS00.jpg

Close-up makes the face look HUGE.
AgroWB00.jpg

AgroWA00.jpg

No, the engines don't collide when transiting postions ... trust me. :p
AgroWD00.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treadwell @ Feb 15 2007, 06:59 PM) [snapback]1419614[/snapback]</div>
Hmm, I think it's getting too busy.
[/b]
Very Valid point - it does look REAL busy. That is the danger of kitbashing ... however, all that really needs to be done is filling holes and finshing support structures - not to mention the 4th engine.

I am thinking/hoping that sanding and a good paint job to tie elements together will reduce the visual clutter.

Well, I don't mean in fine greebly detailing so much as overall design. How many rockets/ thrusters on folding arms does this ship need? :)

Mind you, this is a very fun project to watch and I love kitbashing in general so keep it up. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treadwell @ Feb 19 2007, 03:57 PM) [snapback]1421909[/snapback]</div>
Well, I don't mean in fine greebly detailing so much as overall design. How many rockets/ thrusters on folding arms does this ship need? :)

Mind you, this is a very fun project to watch and I love kitbashing in general so keep it up. :)
[/b]
:p as many as it wants?. This chunky chicken needs all the wing surface it can get.

DoH. Did I forget to mention this thing started off life as a capital ship tug and tender?
That is the reason for the multiple engines. The one in the rear is the 'power thruster' used to push the ship to near light speed as possible{as shown in the Firefly 'Verse}.

Also, the current crew modd'd the ship as well {mech-bashed? :D }. I hope to get the CG version done up as the version shown above and then do a version as the un-modd'd vessel.

Bleah - Indy weather has taken it out of me ... more progress pics later.

But please - continue to 'opinion' fer me.

Here is some close-ups of the forward engines...

1}Looking down the intake - yep I am going for different from what has come before - at least what I have seen. :p
2}Sorta a 3/4 view - the orangy-red is the original color of the Robotech piece
3}Looking inboard at the port-fwd engine
4}The exuast - NOT finished, got ideas, but want to hear your ideaRs.

AgroED00.jpg

The gray-scale version for those with that pref ...

AgroEDgs.jpg

Hey folks ... new pics. Paint tests and new engine stuff. The "Battpacators" {Battery-Capacitors} are re-painted in international orange over the neon-o. Main body is in Testors Titanium Metal-izer {non--buffed at the moment}.

Other changes - can you tell? Let me know.

Agro00.jpg

It was a great start, but for me you over-did it... :(
So, in some way, yes, you killed your own tread... Sorry, but now it's really unpleasant for the eyes in my humble opinion...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ramiel @ Apr 2 2007, 12:33 PM) [snapback]1453678[/snapback]</div>
It was a great start, but for me you over-did it... :(
So, in some way, yes, you killed your own tread... Sorry, but now it's really unpleasant for the eyes in my humble opinion...
[/b]

Ok, what is overdone and how is it unpleasant to the eye? This a real question, not sarcasm. :)

I'll try to explain this, just give me some time to study again your model (and let me translate my comments in English), I think it could be "saved" (but if you like it as it is, you should go on, it's your model after all).
My comment was not intented to be offensive, just a personal opinion. :)
I'll post my comment ASAP.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ramiel @ Apr 2 2007, 05:27 PM) [snapback]1453897[/snapback]</div>
I'll try to explain this, just give me some time to study again your model (and let me translate my comments in English), I think it could be "saved" (but if you like it as it is, you should go on, it's your model after all).
My comment was not intented to be offensive, just a personal opinion. :)
I'll post my comment ASAP.
[/b]
Cool, thanks. I am not sure I have made everything clear on what this vessels function/size/etc was/is, so I need to see where I have 'mistranslated'. And that only works if a person gets honest and somewhat detailed input.

I understand it wasn't meant to be offensive - I did ask for Honest Opinions.

So, don't spare the nits. I'll be looking forward to your perspective. :D

I think I got the bridge 'canopy' sussed. It is the blue "V" ... clear blue over chrome - just a test. Oh, see the little guy sunning himself above the orangy canopy? That is a N-Scale train figure - the reason I choose to use train scales in my test-ship-building {IE: nice ways to show scale.}

Thanks for lookin' and even more if you give a detailed opinion.

AgroN4.jpg

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back