Max Rockatansky Fury Road costume

Troxx

Hi! Whoa, my first thread on RPF!
I've been looking for a place to make cosplay diary for some time, lucky me!

Fury Road hit me hard (it's the only movie I have watched three or four times while it was in theaters). Four years later, a friend of mine who was thinking about Furiosa cosplay gently pushed me into this guzzoline-infused madness.
And now it is one if my favorite costumes.

madmax_nightstory_ph07.jpg
DSC_23781.jpg

DSC_22921.jpg

DSC_22061.jpg

Creating this costume was an absolute joy (and total mess, of course)

First of all, a huge credit goes to madmaxcostumes.com, thanks to them I knew exactly what to buy (when it was an option) and had close to zero investigation work

Jacket & pants
I was lucky enough to have fitting jacket in my closet
Sanding paper and rubbing alcohol removed leather paint and gave me a decent weathered and discolored base

Снимок.PNG

At first I thought about getting some street dirt to give jacket a realistic brown-ish tint, but stumbled on GODLIKE POWDER PIGMENTS
Although working with them is extremely messy, the result was so worth it!
Some light touches of clear coat allowed jacket to hold pigment (thus allowing me to evade getting beaten on conventions by other cosplayers with *clean* costumes)

OQPNL8Y0H0Q.jpg
Снимок21.PNG

And couple of seams (an echo of Max's humongous adventures hehe) finished the job

4.png

Since it was absolutely impossible to get a real pauldron, 3D printing did the job
OQ0Df2Z6v9g.jpg
22Снимок.PNG

Bullet Farmer ammo vest
Probably my favorite part of this cosplay, a modified South African M83 vest
1661715715333.png

Though I had to use cheap modern version, it came out looking pretty authentic
Q5QcwxWjrJ0.jpg
45.PNG
1661723266582.png
1661720560024.png

The vest was modified along madmaxcostumes.com guideline (really can't thank them enough for such detailed work)
All magazines (except two 7.62 AK mags) and a 40mm grenade were 3D printed by my buddy.
Still wondering why Max didn't use those two possibly full 7.62 ak mags to reload Furiosa's SKS (or 9x19 mags to reload glock\beretta) BUT FINE

ElxcfvB-v2o.jpg

Due to... budget limits I had to figure out something to resemble Chris Reeves Spec-Ops knife and sheath
bece134f-95ca-4c2d-8ce0-49d3851954ff.jpeg
1661722109597.png

Leg brace
Easiest and the most logical way was to buy a real one and do a little overhaul
Unfortunately, parts of the original brace harness had to be left as they were, otherwise brace wouldn't hold on it's place at all (funny enough, in some scenes Max has his brace desperately hanging below the knee)

123123.jpg
42.PNG
42311.PNG

Nux's double barrell shotgun
Since in 2019 I wasn't much into propmaking and 3D printing, I got this shotgun ordered, but will still drop it here for the complete picture
EWcpZXGfQF4.jpg

A couple of elements that I won't talk about here (they are either insignificant or inaccurate to lack of the budget)
Boots were supposed to be Under Armour Valsetz boots (I used the closest option I could get + dirt and weathering helped a bit)
Pants got processed the same way as the jacket (sanding, alcohol, powder pigment), so not much to say about them
Leg panel and holster were basically torn with a saw knife and weathered with acrylic paint\pigment, but there are no decent photos left :(

DSC_0047-1.png

So... that's about that
Throwing some scene photos on top (featuring my friend Olga (instagram.com/frau_haku)

and even some action, if you can get through my "acting" part (surprisingly, no part of the costume was damaged)

Thank you for your time!
Hope it was somewhat interesting to read!

DSC07875-2.jpg
dDv0U3o3sfg.jpg

Fantastic job on your build looks great and cool photos. Impressed with all the details and replicas.
As always, everything could have been done better :D
Thank you!
Well done ,costume look's great(y)
Thank you, sir!
Great stuff, Troxx!

Looks awesome :cool:
Thank you! I really appreciate a warm welcome like this!
Very well researched and executed. Thanks for the tips and brands for the different parts of your costume(y)(y):cool::cool:
Well, almost all research credit still goes to madmaxcostumes folks, but I am happy I could spread their work further!

What a fantastic project! That's the kind of costume where you can really see the love and detail the maker poured into it!

May I inquire what sort of shirt you used (or is it a sweater?) and how you aged it?
Love your Idea with the Powder Pigments! I'll try that one out in future projects for sure :)!

What a fantastic project! That's the kind of costume where you can really see the love and detail the maker poured into it!

May I inquire what sort of shirt you used (or is it a sweater?) and how you aged it?
Love your Idea with the Powder Pigments! I'll try that one out in future projects for sure :)!
Thank you!
It is some sort of knitted thermal shirt
I used pretty basic combination of watered down acrylic paint. I applied it in rounds (from less concentrated to more) to control the gradient

Thank you!
It is some sort of knitted thermal shirt
I used pretty basic combination of watered down acrylic paint. I applied it in rounds (from less concentrated to more) to control the gradient
Thanks for your reply :) I see, this is the same one recommended by Fury Road - Mad Max Costumes if I'm not mistaken... They seem to not have too many versions in stock anymore but maybe I find something similar - thank you very much in any case :)...

Woah this is really impressive! Spot-on with all the elements, colors and weathering. Dude, I wouldn’t want to mess with you in your gear (o’course it has nothing to do with that fire-stick. LOL!)

Woah this is really impressive! Spot-on with all the elements, colors and weathering. Dude, I wouldn’t want to mess with you in your gear (o’course it has nothing to do with that fire-stick. LOL!)
Ahhaha, thank you!
But you would be ok, actually, clearcoat sealed it surprisingly good :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back