Masters of the Universe: Revelation - Netflix series

I can only imagine that the majority of people bitching about the show haven’t actually bothered watching it. What a great storyline with high stakes and emotion that expands the lore. I could see people being mad if this was a 20-30 episode season with Teela being front and center the whole time, but ******, it’s FIVE episodes. Two of which feature Adam heavily. I’m far from being part of the woke crowd, but if you can’t handle a few episodes where Teela drives the story that eventually
brings Adam back from the dead
it probably says more about you than the show.

And daaaamn, what a mid-season cliffhanger ending!

Ok... so He-Man sacrifices himself to save the universe and the next 4 episodes turns into a quest to bring him back.

I'm confused as to where/how this is a "bait and switch" and or woke. He-Man was in every episode as far as I can recall. As for Teela being the central figure... were all you guys that are complaining upset about Furiosa in the Mad Max movie?

Would it have made the viewing experience better for all of you if it was Duncan that had gone the quest? Or Orko and Cringer?

Why is it so upsetting that it's Teela?

The only observation that I had was, is it just me or is Randor a massive a-hole?

You treat your kid like crap because you think he's a useless laze about twerp, only when you find out he isn't you blow a gasket and blame everyone else for your treating your kid like crap? What a dick! :lol:

I'm confused as to where/how this is a "bait and switch" and or woke.
Ever since the first rumors of this being the Teela show emerged, Kevin Smith especially swore up and down that it wasn't true. He told us that He-Man wouldn't be pushed aside in favor of Teela, that it would be in the spirit of the old Filmation show, and that it was for the fans. But then it came out, and it either ruined, killed, or humiliated the characters people liked from the Filmation show. Smith has even admitted that he killed off characters just to annoy fans of the show.
The only observation that I had was, is it just me or is Randor a massive a-hole?
And his burgers aren't that good anymore, either.

Ever since the first rumors of this being the Teela show emerged, Kevin Smith especially swore up and down that it wasn't true. He told us that He-Man wouldn't be pushed aside in favor of Teela, that it would be in the spirit of the old Filmation show, and that it was for the fans. But then it came out, and it either ruined, killed, or humiliated the characters people liked from the Filmation show. Smith has even admitted that he killed off characters just to annoy fans of the show.

And his burgers aren't that good anymore, either.

Except... He-Man/Adam is literally the entire driving thrust of the show so far. The narrative is entirely revolving around resurrecting him, and he's been present in every episode, either "live" or in flashbacks.

But again, are you upset because it's Teela or would you have been as equally outraged if it was Man-At-Arms that was taking point in the story line?

How is it NOT in the spirit of the original show? Orko still can't perform magic properly unless he really needs to, Cringer is still a fraidy cat, and the Skelator henchmen are still dumb and bumbling. And who got "ruined or humiliated"? Tri-clops? Mer-Man? Lock-Jaw?? Weren't they more or less humiliated on every episode of the original show?

I'm watching this as I type so bear with me.

Ep. 1

-The animation is very well done. The opening credits and the artwork paying tribute to the wonderful packaging art of the toy line is a very nice touch.
-Teela seems awfully defensive for someone recieving a hug from a friend. Weird.
-Why is the Sorceress the only person defending Grayskull if it's protection is of paramount importance?
-Randor is sassy isn't he? He doesn't seem too nice to his own son.
-The transformation into He-Man looked pretty cool.
-Skeletor does sound like the Joker.
-Moss man looks like one of the demons from Ninja Scroll
-I get that they have to use exposition dumps, but it feels pretty clunky- the orb cracking scene feels pretty drawn out
-Man-at-Arms, Orko, and the remaining Eternian fighters are spectators while He-Man is absorbing the Orb's power, why aren't they racing down there to try and help?
-WOW! Teela.... comes across like a selfish bitch- so someone who was supposed to be her friend dies to save the ****-ing universe, and what does she do when she learns that he kept a secret from her? She scolds his grieving parents and her own mentor for witholding a secret that wasn't their's to share. That's cold. Like ice cold. They literally promoted her to one of the highest ranking positions in the kingdom and she's upset at everyone else for not sharing a secret that Adam asked to keep private.
-Why is the secret identity of He-Man and Prince Adam such an important one to keep? Considering this is the crux of everyone's motivation- now it seems like it would be helpful to explain. What detriment is there to Teela by her not knowing this information? Did it prevent her from moving up the ranks? If anything she should just be grateful the universe didn't end because Adam gave his life to save it. Instead she whines about how everyone is a liar and storms out.

-Why would she swear off magic, considering it's literally the source of the entire universe? That doesn't make sense to me. Her motivation really makes zero sense.

Ep. 2

-I really dislike Teela's new haircut. It looked bad on Cara Dune too. It's just not flattering.
-Who does she think she is? Han Solo? Tossing that guy a bag of coins after destroying his food cart and saying, "Sorry for the mess."
-Okay so again, magic is literally the source of life in this universe, but Teela doesn't like it anymore? Why?
-Teela seems to lack any sense of empathy. An old woman is trying to hire her and Andra, claiming she will pay any price for a sentimental item that reminds her of an old friend and all she cares about is the money. Oh, so edgy!!! :rolleyes:
-Andra at the least gives enough of a **** to want to do something, but again, she wants to be a hero and get adoration, not save the world. How is that admirable? It speaks more to ego than anything else.
-Even when having a flashback her expression (in the present) never indicates she actually cares about her own memory.
-The idea of two cults (Technology vs. Magic) sounds cool in theory, but again, knowing the source of this universe is magic, and considering Tri-Klops spent years serving under Skeletor (who was a master of magic) seems again, weird. How exactly did Skeleor fail? He died. The universe is still there. I don't get it.
-So Teela's stick weapon can change into a staff, an axe, and a sword? Okay...... Given this is supposed to be a more realistic take, that feels silly.
-Hahahahhaa.... her stick is a retracting grappling hook too?
-Those acolytes look like purple Jawas. :lol:
-Why is Teela so bent out of shape about everything? What is appealing about her as a character? So far I haven't found anything I like about her.
-They are breaking a law by returning to Grayskull? What law? That line seems unnecessary.
-So Teela has renounced magic and turned her back on the people that "betrayed" her, and yet when the Sorceress is in danger she decides she has to do something? She's all over the place with this. I thought she hated her.
-Why is the Sorceress giving Evil-Lyn the last of the magic? Why won't she go on the journey?
-Teela is done with magic despite literally being told that the entire universe will die if they do nothing. How does her motivation make any sense? Why would she swear off magic itself if it's the source of life? She's happy enough to be alive, no?
-Cringer's speech was nice and all but it doesn't seem like Teela really liked Adam much. It would have been helpful if they'd established their friendship better from the outset. I feel like we're lacking context.
-So the fate of existence itself isn't enough to motivate her to go on the journey but when Cringer reminds her that Adam trusted her to save the world, that's what gets her to change her mind. Yeah, okay.... Is she that much of an ego maniac that it's only when she's left in charge that she will have any desire to preserve life itself and not because it's the right thing to do. I'm not seeing any redeeming quality in this character whatsoever.

Ep.3

-Why the flashbacks? Why not do a longer series where they could have shown these adventures up front to establish the relationships? These feel like an afterthought rather than necessary.
-It's the purple Jawas again! :lol:
-Why is Tri-Klops trying to stop people from having magic? THE SOURCE OF LIFE ITSELF IN THIS UNIVERSE. This literally makes no sense and yet everyone is split on this issue. So weird!
-Sasquatch don't like purple Jawas apparently.
-I always did love the Rotons.
-Man-at-Arms is apologizing to Teela? For what? For not sharing a secret that wasn't his to divulge? :oops:
-Wait, so Orko is sick and the Sorceress is not well, but Evil-Lyn can use magic without issue?
-Wait, so Cringer's little speech was enough to get Teela to care about Adam?
-Now she's trying to convince Man-at- Arms that he shouldn't care about Adam's grieving parents but about himself. I guess you preach what you practice and thus far she's only been looking out for herself.
-So Man-at-Arms raised Teela as his own daughter and she abandoned him because of Adam? Damn, I'm feeling that ice again. :eek:
-Wait so Tri-Klops is "hell bent" on destroying all magic (the source of life itself) for some unknown reason and yet he didn't think to go to Grayskull in it's weakened state? Dumb, dumb, dumb.
-Orko is somehow "well enough" to go on the journey but the Sorceress isn't?
-Why didn't Man-at-Arms or the other Eternians try to retrieve the Power Sword halves years ago if they are so vital to the survival of the universe itself? You'd think they'd get right on that.
-Teela's got a lot of nerve. "I don't know how I feel about the past, but do you want to make it all up to me?" I mean Man-at-Arms only raised you, trained you, gave you everything you have, and one secret, that again WASN'T HIS TO SHARE, and she still can't help herself and dig at a broken old man. Yet moments before she scolded him for having enough honor to try and care for his friends and stay loyal to the king. Pick a lane girl!
-Evil-Lyn and Teela hate living in the shadow of their counterparts. There's a lot of animosity there for two people who spent years alongside them. Why the sudden hatred now that they're dead? Did He-Man and Skeletor betray them somehow?
-Okay at least Mer-Man's motivation makes some damn sense! That was actually pretty cool!
-Man-at Arms warns Teela of the dangers of Subternia. Why is he not going with them? Why do I not care if this selfish character dies?
-At the mouth of Subternia, "I have to go. I understand if you don't want to not to go with me. This place is only darkness and terror. Like me. I'm all goth now." -Teela

Ep. 4

-Her stick is a lantern now. Is this the Eternian version of a Swiss Army knife?
-It's a sword again!
-Subternia reminds me of the realm of the dead in Return of the King with the green glow.
-ScareGlow looks cool.
-Is Teela getting more muscular as the show goes on? She's crazy jacked.
-Am I watching The Last Jedi? What's with these dark spiky holes that the protagonist falls into?
-Why is it that the male characters are full of doubt and yet all the female characters are so sure of themselves? Do they have any flaws because I'm not aware of them. It makes it really hard to empathize with them.
-The character designs are really really well done. I gotta give them that.
-Okay, at least Evil-Lyn couldn't use her magic effectively in Subternia so that's something.
-* Teela in Hell* "C'mon, I'm waiting!" What a Karen! Next thing we know, she'll want to complain to ScareGlow because she wasn't scared enough. Does she do anything other than whine or crack wise????
-Robot-O looks so cool!
-So Teela's greatest fear is being inadequate because Adam didn't share his secret. Again, why is this so important to her? She's afraid of being isolated and abandoned, yet she abandoned everyone and went into isolation. So, how can she be afraid of those things when she's inflicted both on herself?
-Teela is essentially Rey. HER GREATEST FEAR IS THAT SHE IS AFRAID OF HER POTENTIAL TO BE GREAT. THIS IS NOT A CHARACTER FLAW. There is literally nothing standing in her way from achieving greatness and she literally had it in the first episode when she was given the highest rank within the Eternian kingdom. Being awesome at everything and then having nothing stopping you is NOT AN ARC! That's terrible writing. To her credit, at least Rey was likeable enough and strives to do the right thing, even if her arc was hollow. She wasn't a total narccicist like Teela.
-Now I'm just bored. Will this end already?
-She literally says she owns her power. So now she's even MOAR AWESOME!!!!!!! Please. :rolleyes:
-Teela did it all by herself. Wow! What a surprise!
-Now that I know she will never fail at anything and nothing at all is stopping her, then why should I care?
-Why is the gate to Moriah making a cameo in Eternian Hell?
-Orko is protecting Teela and the gang is straight out of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Except Dumbledore, I mean Orko, dies.
-The little dude sacrificed himself to save them all and what does Teela do when they reach safety? She suddenly blames and the turns on her own allies for no reason whatsoever. Get this girl some Lithium because she's psychotic!
-How can anyone like this character? She's egotistical, selfish, power mad, angry, never takes responsibility for her actions, blames everyone but herself and completely narcissistic.

Ep. 5

-Is that Justin Long voicing Roboto? I thought I recognized that voice!
-Lena Heady is a good choice for Evil-Lyn. She's quite good.
-So Teela is still pissed at Adam?
-:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
-So we got two flashbacks in previous episodes and we are supposed to buy that Adam and Teela were friends? I don't believe it.
-So why are they having a podrace in the middle of this?
-Oh look it's Wonderbread He-Man.
-Did Teela just smile????? :oops: Am I seeing things?
-Adam is depicted as a total wimp. He's literally being carried like a ragdoll by one of the previous He-Man. This begs the question as to why a puny teenager type was given the Sword of Power and not some muscle bound guy like the previous He-Men?
-Adam chose his lesser self? Why? Because he wants to keep getting humiliated by these guys?
-I'm waiting for King Grayskull to ask if I'm in good hands.
-"Give her space." -King Grayskull. Teela's presumably had years to come to her senses and realize not everything revolves around her, so giving her "space" isn't likely to get her to open her eyes.
-Again, why is Man-at-Arms not with them again? He could have reforged the sword and have been a huge help in Subternia.
-So Teela is again, blaming Adam because she couldn't mourn her friend. She never once seemed upset that he died, like at all so again this is a completely unwarranted response. Instead Adam has to apologize to her for what? This secret identity is such a weak thing to hang the entire premise of the show on.
-"I died!" -Adam. "Yeah! And the rest of us had to live with it!" -Teela This is the kind of response of a true narccicist. It's all about them and yet Adam feels like he owes her the apology when he did nothing wrong. :sick:
-The animation is pretty damn good. It's the only thing that has genuinely impressed me.
-Reforging the sword looks cool.
-Like really, really cool! :love:
-So Robot-O is dead now? Can people die in Preternia? How does that work?
-Teela isn't sad that her brother is dead? Andra who barely knew him was crying and Teela didn't shed a tear.
-So Adam wants to go with Teela when it's clear she doesn't wnat him there? WHY???
-PURPLE JAWASSSSS!!!!!
-Why does Teela have the sword? Why doesn't Adam take it and change into He-Man right then and there?
-Did this just turn into Ninja Scroll with the blood out of Adam's mouth. Adam is dead AGAIN? WTF.
-Oh, but THIS time Teela gives a **** about Adam dying? Yet they never resolved any of their issues.
-So Evil-Lyn, after claiming she was sick of living in Skeletor's shadow decides she wants to go back to serving him? Please!
-Skeletor has the power! Oh wait they did that in the 1987 live action movie!

Sooooo..... final thoughts. Yeah I hated it. Teela is unlikeable and I don't find a single thing about her character relatable or empathetic. She's a total narccist and even if they bring Adam/ He-Man back into the story death clearly has zero consequence or meaning. For all the credibility that is being heaped on this series, thus far I don't find any of the character motivations to be believable or even remotely interesting because they make no sense at all. It didn't help that Kevin Smith was dishonest about the show from the outset and you can buy the lie and claim it isn't so but the evidence is there. He claimed Teela wouldn't be the lead, and yet she was. He claimed He-Man wouldn't be sidelined, and yet he died twice, this time it might even be for good.

I know there are another five episodes left but honestly it was hard enough to slog through these so we'll see. But I wanted to give it a try and see it for myself. Where can I donate to the scholarship Eternia will set up in Prince Adam's memory?

Last edited:
It makes zero sense. If everyone knows that the source if life itself is magic then you'd think everyone would try to preserve it. Why magic "failed" anyone is not clear. They also establish that the lay people are rationing magic and they even fight amongst themselves for wasting it. Why wouldn't Tri-Klops want to try and control magic instead of denouncing it?

Last edited:
It's a clumsy metaphor at best then. It's like getting angry at water itself for being unavailable. You know life depends on it, yet it "failed you", but life wouldn't exist without it. Even the lay person knows this.

It's a clumsy metaphor at best then.
Not really, there has always been grifters in real life, selling their deluded ideologies for financial gain and power.
In this instance there is a literal power vacuum with the loss of magic, He Man and Skeletor, it is perfectly reasonable that someone will try and fill it.

So many parallels with what is happening IRL.

I like the idea as a concept and even said so in my initial post, but given that life wouldn't exist without magic, and everyone knows it, why anyone would denounce it? Then again you raise a good point that he's only using it to attain power, though that still doesn't explain why Teela hates it so much.

I like the idea as a concept and even said so in my initial post, but given that life wouldn't exist without magic, and everyone knows it, why anyone would denounce it? Then again you raise a good point that he's only using it to attain power, though that still doesn't explain why Teela hates it so much.
For me, Teela is stuck in the anger phase of grief. Exacerbated by just learning her best friend (2 best friends?) has been lying to her for years and died by the very magic he was protecting.

Now she's been manipulated into getting the gang back together.

I don't buy for a second that she cares about anyone but herself and getting angry at magic feels like displaced blame, something she does constantly throughout the five episodes. Maybe she'll come around and learn to take responsibility in the next five episodes, but thus far she never admits any failure or blame on her part and is quick to accuse others. She knew the risks of her friends going into battle and getting mad at Adam for dying to save the world feels selfish on her part. Adam is noble because he was willing to pay the ultimate price in service to others, something Teela is clearly unwilling to do. That's why I have a hard time buying that she's supposed to be a hero.

No one is forcing her to go on the journey. She could very well have said no and been on her way. The only reason she wants to go is because her friend wants to be a hero. It's also important to note that she was hired to go back, not because she had any conviction or crisis of conscience to do the right thing in spite of her friends "betrayal." She never strikes me as growing in empathy either throughout the journey which would at least give her an arc. Perhaps they're saving that for the last half.

Besides I'm not sure why other characters didn't go after the two halves of the sword years before Teela came on the scene again. If they were so important you'd think they would get right on that instead of letting magic drain away until the last second.

Last edited:
I'm in a unique position to have really liked the new MOTU-R series.

The He-Man cartoon debuted on TV in 1983 and I was 9 years old, the perfect age to become a huge fan and watch the show and collect all the toys.

The problem is, I was never a fan of He-Man. I was 1000% Star Wars/GI Joe/Transformers/MASK/Robotech, and I never owned a single He-Man toy. I never watched the He-Man cartoon unless it was because I was waiting for it to be over so I could watch one of the cartoons I actually wanted to see.

I had friends with the He-Man toys, and I knew the basic story beats and characters, but I was never a 'fan'.

So as a person with only a pop-culture knowledge of the He-Man universe, I was able to really enjoy the new MOTU-R show. The animation was amazing, the story was interesting, and I enjoyed the character arcs. It was fun, and I enjoyed watching it.

I'm hearing Netflix is probably going to hold on to part 2 of season 1 until next year. This gives them time to work on season 2 and not having a big gap with no MOTU:R. I can't wait to see the rest of this.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back