Master Replicas Y-wing paint fixes

Wonderpants

I have a MR Y-wing that has picked up some scuffs and chips to the paint on its journey through life. Can anyone suggest what paint would be a good match for the factory paint mask and, as a newbie to model painting, if a regular brush or air brush would give a better result?

Would be good to see some pics of the damage. These were painted in varying degrees of heaviness - so it'd help to see how dark or light your is. If it were me I'd consider turning it into battle damage with some weathering - but that's just me!

battle damage isn’t a bad idea actually, would probably be easier than trying to match the base colour. (y)

Will have to dig it out (it’s currently in a box) for pics once my flat has been redecorated.

Would be good to see some pics of the damage. These were painted in varying degrees of heaviness - so it'd help to see how dark or light your is. If it were me I'd consider turning it into battle damage with some weathering - but that's just me!

The MR Y can be extremely dark. See the damaged MR example in the background next to an accurate Gold Leader (Nice-N by Andy Preston) in the foreground.

IMG_0607 (1).jpeg

What happened to the nose on that poor MR Y-wing!!!!!
Looks soooo sad, poor thing.

I do love Andy's paint work.

Here's my MR that I spruced up. I couldn't afford (or be bothered) to make it full greeblie accurate, but I did bung on a few bits of Hanomag I had laying around and replaced one or two pipes LOL.

IMG_1268.jpg

IMG_0672.JPG

IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG

Last edited:
Perfect opprotunity to have it fully repainted, the original MR paintjob is horrible actually the worst of all the ships they ever produced and very toyish looking, here's my accurately repainted MR

Attachments

• 20200518_145728.jpg
    20200518_145728.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 158
The MR Y can be extremely dark. See the damaged MR example in the background next to an accurate Gold Leader (Nice-N by Andy Preston) in the foreground.

View attachment 1345880
The MR version was almost destroyed in transit. It came to me for a rebuild and repaint to match the MR as much as possible. The colours were very hard to replicate due to the overlaying dark weathering and other semi translucent layers plus time in the light. In the end i rebuilt the nose and fixed the other issues. I Used Tamia grey primer plus a little TS32 (the tie colour) and some other colours (cant remember sorry) to get the best blend i could. once it was shot with the base, i blended it into the rest of the body to make the whole thing more seamless, and added the dreaded (read that as crappy) black weathering !!!!. If you really want to keep the MR colour scheme, don't worry to much about a super accurate match, just get the best you can and blend areas and panels all over the ship to make it less obvious where the repairs/repaints have been done. Here it is after the rebuild.
SAM_2502.JPG

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back