Marvels Black Panther (MCU design build)

The costume was recently put up on display and I'm sure you folks could get some use from this.

^ THIS!

It's what I've been looking to find all along. Too bad I'm so far into the build and have finalized some design decisions. But there are still a lot of details I haven't worked out and these pics will help tremendously.

Looking at the screen used suit closely, it seems that the main detail on the body is from a Black Mesh material on top of a Spandex suit. Then the Leather and Vibranium pieces are on top of that. Alas, I would have made some different design choices if I'd seen pics like this sooner. There's always the option of doing a another suit in the future. :D

Still moving forward, at a very slow pace, but forward nonetheless.
In the beginning I talked about wanting to do the mask first and work with clay since it was new for me and la la la, blah blah blah, well I DIDN'T. I've gotten a lot of the cloth done and never even heated the clay (Monster clay). What I did do though was buy a mask off of ebay. I happened upon a Very Nice latex mask for a Very Low price and I had to buy it.
Here it is.
20160423_154625.jpg

There are some changes I'll make (the eyes), but the overall detail is very accurate, since it is apparently an official marvel licensed product. I like it a lot.

20160426_182644.jpg

I still have to cut and sew the Cordura to the pants, and then cut and sew all the pleather bits on, and then buy, cut, shape, paint and attach some Worbla for the Vibranium parts. And boots and gloves.
I'm not done yet.

This is looking really good so far!! Is that the Rubies mask? I've been waiting for it. Can you post a link to the seller please? Thanks

I actually found this on Ebay when looking at some other mask. It sold out quickly and I didn't know till after I got it that it was the Rubie's one. I'm not sure were else it may be getting sold at.

Just wanna share my suit and details here with u. I made a dye sub suit. And was disappointed by the quality and coloring. But in the end I decided to use pleather and cordura for detailing.

This is how it looks so far. Other parts I sprayed w fabric paint. Not done by a long long shot yet.
e2d29786c310242ef08535ea49bb07e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on the hunt for some boots, which is always a challenge.
I've got a few I'm liking but there are cons for each one.
First was these: The price is good, but the looks are only okay. They would need some heavy modding.

Next were these: I love, love, love the look, but can not find them in my size (US12 ~ JP 30). Plus the price is nice.

Then there are these: The price and the look are fine. It would take a little modding. My only problem is the soles of the shoes not being black. I'm not sure if it would be possible to dye or paint this, since I would think anything added would quickly ware off as the shoe is walked in.
(Edit: a quick google search has shown me that dying a shoe sole is more doable then I thought)

Any suggestions on boots or on how to mod these to work better??

Last edited:
have you tried monk weave fabric on top of what you have now to get the texture of the costume? https://www.onlinefabricstore.net/b...xlNtJ9uDVWHuXkMYM48COrqsh_20TCecfwhoCN7_w_wcB

That looks like a good texture, but I'm not sure if that's exact. It would probably look cool anyway, but I had already bought and started using the cordura long before I saw these screen used pics.
I'm hoping they have the suit at SD Comic-Con so I can see it in person. But I'm also planing on having mine done and in use by then.

So I went on and bought these boots and these gloves.
Both of which will need some heavy modifying, but that's the hobby.

Also, I got a sample of the Monk Weave fabric. It's got a nice look, but I'm still not convinced. Plus it doesn't have a nice feel to it, and I've already settled myself on the Cordura, even though it's not an accurate look either.
20160517_174939.jpg 20160517_174955.jpg
20160517_205949.jpg IDK, maybe just my preference.

Here's the latest during a fit test. Working on some detail stitching on the Cordura, then it's on to the pleather.
20160522_111040.jpg

I'm not sure how much this will help but I obtained a swatch of the production fabric of the Black Panther costume

2dHSeuv.jpg

I used flash and the brightness sort of destroys the quality but I hope it helps in some way

I'm not sure how much this will help but I obtained a swatch of the production fabric of the Black Panther costume

I used flash and the brightness sort of destroys the quality but I hope it helps in some way

Wow thanks for sharing!
That is very different from what I thought I was seeing.

Still here, still not done. It's getting down to the wire and I've got shoes and gloves and worbla to work with still.
Latest updates:

Put some not-screen-accurate lenses in the mask. Soda bottle, window tint, hot glue, duct tape. If need be I can swap it for some grey latter on.
20160609_203923.jpg

One thing this costume was missing is any kind of pouches, So, I managed to add some pockets to the seam of the pants. It's my first time making pockets, but I think it turned out alright. I'll know for sure once the pants are assemble and I try them on.
Closed Open
20160619_121026.jpg 20160619_121039.jpg

And here is what things are looking like currently. Still nothing is fully sewn shut (just taped inplace right now). Maybe by the end of the week I'll have that done. Maybe.
20160619_135653.jpg

This is incredible! Keep up the good work! I was looking into my first build being Black Panther and I was wondering if you had any advice or things you would have done differently?

This is incredible! Keep up the good work! I was looking into my first build being Black Panther and I was wondering if you had any advice or things you would have done differently?

Thanks, it's been a very long project for me, so I'm glad to see it all coming together.
Since I started this project before I had good reference pictures I would have designed a few things differently.

I think the biggest change I would make is in my fabric search. I had decided early on to use Cordura for the texture, but if I was able to find a fabric that had some stretch and the right texture, that would have saved a TON of time. Or if you find a nicely detailed printed suit and then add on the leather (Pleather) and Vibranium parts, that would save even MORE time.

Thank you very much. How much do you think you have spent on this? I need to budget my build so I want to scratch-build it since Dye-Subs are kind of out of the question.

It's hard to say exactly how much I spent, since there was a lot of extra stuff bought, and some things I bought but haven't or will not use. Also some was used for my sisters costume.
Here is a general brake down.

Gloves ($13)
Boots ($40)
or These ($55)(they were not in my size, but I got these for my sister)
socks ($7)
Cordura ($12 per yard) maybe 2 yards used
Spandex ($12 per yard) maybe 3 yards used
Mask (~$30)
Worbla

Totaling these items, plus a small amount of Worbla puts the cost near $200. You might be able to find a cheaper spandex you'd be happy with. And the boots and gloves are optional, you can almost go with whatever you like there.

Also, keep in mind, most of my time was spent planing the Cordura layout and then cutting and sewing on dozens and dozens of little pieces. If you could find a spandex that had a suitable texture, you could eliminate that part of the project all together.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back