Marvels Black Panther (MCU design build)

The Yin

Hello all,

I've been on the RPF for some time now, but haven't made a build thread, so this will be my first.
I've made a few costumes over the years but this one will have a lot of new points for me, so any help or pointers will be appreciated.

I'm starting off with the Cowl since I'v got no experience there, and would prefer to have as much time working on it as possible. The plan is to follow this technique, and hope that my sculpting skills don't completely suck.

Next would be the suit itself, and I am taking design ques from SMPDesigns. I'm wanting to have a Spandex base with Cordura and Worbla for the texture and details. Both of these are items I've never worked with before. :unsure

So far all I've done is read and stare at pictures, and pick out what Cordura I want to use, and put this screen grab collage together.

cowl details.png

This week I plan on working out some of the details for the cowl, and next weekend I'll be shopping for and buying the spandex for the suit.

We'll see how all this turns out
Stay tuned . . .

-Take your time with the sculpt. Getting symmetry is a pain in the ass, so if at any point you start getting frustrated, walk away for 10-30 minutes, give yourself some time to calm down.
-Worbla is pretty user friendly, just don't waste any of it. If you have scraps, keep them around. It is great for making tiny ornamental details.
-If you are sewing the fabrics together with a machine (highly recommended), make sure you use the right equipment/settings. Spandex likes to slide and (shocker) stretch under a sewing machine's presser foot, which can lead to uneven jobs. Definitely read up on that if you've never done it.

Those are all my tips based on what you've started. It is an ambitious project, but looks like you are coming at it from a great angle!

Thanks for the pointers Vox, the symmetry aspect of the sculpting is something I didn't really think about. I've been so focused in the details.

I've made a little progress, but just tonight did I start putting my room to full production mode.

I've started on a casting of my own head as an armature to sculpt on. First time casting anything, and I did the plaster bandage mold myself. Not sure how good my fiberglass head will look in the end, but it should be a similar shape to my own.
20160116_175640.jpg

Also, got started on a mock up. Just bought a white shirt and pinned it so it fits snug. I'll sew it tomorrow and see who it fits my Ducktape mannequin.
20160125_220432.jpg

I went last weekend and tried to find fabric that I was happy with, but alas, my quest failed. The two locations I frequent for fabric and sewing thingys weren't even helpful in knowing if they carried Jumbo Spandex.
I just found a place online that had a good selection and ordered a bunch of samples. When they arrive, I'll compare to see what I like, and test them against the Cordura samples I've got.

We'll see how all this turns out
Stay tuned . . .

I've made some progress, but still haven't started on the real work.

First, I still have my head armature to finish. If it weren't for the fact I want a cast of my head to keep with my duck tape mannequin, I would have just bought an armature. However, I have the clay. So once the head is done I can get started on learning to sculpt. :p

Second, I have my mock up (is that the right term?) for my pants and shirt done, on the mannequin and the designs for the shirt drawn out. I'm working off of very few reference shoots and the concept poster, so I'm kind of just mixing the 2 and hoping it turns out ok.

20160126_211301.jpg 20160201_205932.jpg

Third, I've finally got my fabric picked out (I think). Looking at what references I've got, I can't tell if the material is textured, or printed. I'm going to try and copy the look using Cordura, But as mentioned, I've never worked with it before. Nonetheless, I've got some spandex samples and picked the one I liked best, a 4-way Moleskin, 8oz. It's got some weight to it, like the jumbo spandex, but it has much better stretch, which I'll need since most of the costume will have Cordura over it.
Bottom left in pic:
20160201_221732.jpg

That's that for now. I'll see if I can get the design down on some patter paper tonight.

We'll see what's what when it is what it is.
Stay tuned . . .

Just finished mine but more adapting as time goes by :)

Dude, that looks great!
I'm glad to see others working on this. It's nice to see the details all finished to know that this can be done and look good without the assistance from CGI and aftereffect.
If you don't mind my asking, where did you buy the mask? Just in case my sculpting skills (yet to be learned) fail me. Also, how hard is it to breath in there?

Thanks for the inspiration.
Back to the build . . .

Looks great fellas. I saw the costume mask that marvel studios is releasing for Halloween. Looks pretty legit. I'll be probably using that with a proper suit made from a black dive suit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, I've made some progress on this. But it is very slow, and I've currently switched focus to another costume that I have to have completed by the end of March.
With the release of the newest trailer, I was finally able to see some of the detail in the finished costume. Too bad I already designed and started making some of mine. At least I haven't started on the helmet yet, so now I'll have great reference pics for that.
Here's a few shots of the progress and design:
20160222_220859.jpg 20160225_073814.jpg 20160301_073146.jpg

Attachments

• 20160225_073814[1].jpg
    20160225_073814[1].jpg
    968.1 KB · Views: 415
These are all looking good. I just finished 3d printing the cowl using the do3d.com file. Its amazingly detailed. Now I got to think about the fabric! IMG_5430.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5429.JPG
    IMG_5429.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 458
That is a nice helmet.
Also, now that the new trailer is out, you'll have a better idea on the suit details. I'm going the all fabric method, but there are a few places (i.e. snakepitstudios or gunheaddesign) that provide patterns for a dye sub printed suit.

Ah ok. Well for me I've ordered a subdye printed suit. And I'm going to attach leather to certain places using fabric glue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I'm still here.
My expectations for when this suit will be completed keeps moving further out. But I'll be at it till I'm done.
I've finished most of the cordura patches on the torso, and I was able to pin the front and back together for a test fit. I like it.
20160413_201134.jpg

I also finally got some material for the leather looking parts. There was a pleather/suede material at Joann's that I loved but could never find it in black. Last weekend I found they had a pleather from Yaya Han's fabric line. It was pricey, but I only needed a little. Plus, it has a good look and a bit of stretch.
20160409_175415.jpg

The next step is to confirm my shapes for the pleather parts and I'll cut some thin foam as a backing for it. I'm hoping that will give it some body and cause it to be raised a little.
Once that's attached I'll be able to sew the front and back of the torso together and finish the last of the cordura and stitching details.

Then it's on to the sleeves . . .

There's a decent looking mask on eBay. Type in 2016 Movie Captain America 3 Cosplay Black Panther Helmet Replica Adult PVC Mask

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back