Marvel Thing 2015 build

I am so tired of cutting shaping and gluing stones in place. Here is the progress to date.
0825151514.jpgThis shows the Velcro strapping that is now in place. I found commercial grade stuff that is used to attach fire extinguishers to the wall, seems to hold up very well.
0825151517.jpgYou can see where i have started to hollow out the upper arms to receive the lower arms( you can see them in the back ground).
0829151508a.jpgSo many curves and so many custom cuts. Very slow process
0831151631.jpgI used a very thin matte foam much like what i used on the fingers to cover up the inside of the shoulder pocket.This allows for a more reasonable surface for the stone effect, paint and airbrushing. Also a side note for any new to working with foam, if you get spray paint on the foam it dissolves the adhesive spray glue and all of the foam just pops off, no fun.
0831151630.jpgview from back. I will also be adding Velcro to the overlapping stones. If you see in the picture there are a few stones that one side isn't glued to allow for the Velcro.
0825151517a.jpgTotally unrelated but wanted to give a shout out to my son who is doing an Ironman suit for NYCC this year. He does amazing work with foam, wish i could get him to post on here.

Last edited:
Great update once again,Hap :thumbsup hard work will pay off,I promise you (don't be tired of gluing the stones...'go nuts' with them! :cool).
And how awesome is it to have people in your immediate surrounding that are also into crafting.I tried to introduce my brother to it,but no dice...
Keep it up ! The suit looks better with every update :popcorn

Big update , Lots of photos. Sorry for cramming so many pics in one post.

So just as I suspected the meshing of the upper arms into the forearms and hands has proved to be a real nightmare. The issue is that the arms are simply to massive to have a decent looking joint and I didn't realize this until after i was all done. So we devised a solution albeit not a great one, but to be honest I am out of ideas, time and energy.
0902151355a.jpg0902151355.jpgStarted work on the belt. Its Faux white leather wrapped around EVA Foam. The belt will of course have FF4 Insignia on it.
0902151448.jpg0902151450b.jpgFirst dry fit with the hands.As you can see not even close. after hours of adding foam and taking away foam we had a look we were at least satisfied with. I will post those pics with the final pics in a few days.
0905151139.jpgI know this seems a little weird but I needed a pliable material to act as the sleeve between upper and lower arms that I could paint to match the stone and just seemed like good idea to use my under amour boxers.(Yes Ladies they were clean) The next pic shows how they are attached.
0905151329.jpgThis is a picture of the upper arm. The suit is upside down so you are looking at the elbow joint. This spandex will allow the arm to flex and open at both the inside elbow and outside elbow and at least keep some of its integrity. Again not what I had envisioned but I think it will fool the eye enough.
0905151329b.jpgThis is looking down into one of the forearms. the Velcro will attach to the sleeve from the upper arm. We could have just painted my spandex under suit the same color but it wouldn't change the fact that you would see my little arm . This will at least give the illusion of some size.
0905151410.jpgFront view chest. scarring done ready for stone effect spray.
0905151433.jpgBack view also ready for stone paint.
0905151425.jpgHands prepped ready for stone paint as well.

The suit is scheduled to be cosmetically finished this coming Wednesday. Just in time for my submission into the NYCC Costume contest. There are still several things I want to tweak but now I can take my time on them after the pics for the contest are done.

Hap,how about a thin layer of foam with bricks as an outer layer,and another thin layer under that one to cover for any gaps while bending the arm?
Just a thought...
Your build is really getting there ! :thumbsup

Hey George I actually tried that. no matter what I did the foam would wad up when in certain positions and he looked like a wrinkly old man or the bricks folded in on themselves. I did full paint prefit before I started paint this morning and I am pretty pleased with the look. ill get the pics posted as soon as I can. The belt has to be redone though..( it is 5 inches wide and it looks way to little on him so going to have to make another maybe 8 inches this time.
On another note my son made me aware this morning that just because I submit for the costume contest in NYCC doesn't mean they will let me in!! I was like WTH. I JUST ASSUMED ANYBODY COULD JOIN WHO WANTED ..LOL. This will be very disappointing if after all this work I don't get accepted.

Hap,the only (valid) reason they wouldn't let you and your amazing (and above all original) costume into the contest would be because the registration has been closed.
I couldn't think of anything else,but I sincerely hope you get to enter !!! I'm rooting for you and your son to win the contest :thumbsup

If it is a full on competition then they may have limited spots and a heavy vetting process. If they ask for reference photos, build logs etc. then it is a good sign that they are cutting out any chaff prior to the actual manual review / skit / judging etc.

Your build is pretty much guaranteed to get through mate so I wouldn't worry. Before you know it it will be clobbering time.

Ham.

Some have asked about the dimensions of the suit, so instead of pm I will just post stats here. He stands 6' 7" and is over 5' wide at the shoulders ( I have to go sideways through doors and even then I get stuck). Some have said the feet and legs look small. I have to agree that on the video and pics they do seem small, I'm assuming this is because of the angle of the camera and the overwhelming size of his hands and arms. His feet are over 2' long and 14" wide. His thigh measures 39" around. This is a very large costume. I wish I had thought to have my son stand next to me, he is 6' 3" tall and 185lbs. he looks like a 12 year old boy standing next to the thing..lol

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back