Marvel Legends Ant-Man helmet revealed

That could be the case, but from my own tests even as close as last week, I can tell you that 2K over raw unsealed chrome will look JUST like that.

There are certain ways you can seal the chrome to keep a good mirror finish, but on this helmet? I would be willing to bet they didn’t seal at all... maybe my opinion would change with further photos, but that remains to be seen.

Small detail that in the end doesn’t really matter I suppose. If/when I do this helmet I would probably idealize certain things. No orange peel of course, and a brighter aluminum/chrome. For my tastes, I would want the aluminum areas of the face to be brushed as well, which it clearly isn’t in the film. Comes down to preference I guess.
Maybe you're using a different product than me, but here's one of mine I did a while back, the "raw" silver top coated without any noticable alteration of the reflection.
FB_IMG_1552523319588.jpeg

Maybe you're using a different product than me, but here's one of mine I did a while back, the "raw" silver top coated without any noticable alteration of the reflection.View attachment 999685

Just to be clear, topcoated with a water based sealer, or topcoated with catalyzed Urethane clear?

Urethane Clear has had an effect on every Chrome I’ve tried if the chrome isn’t properly sealed beforehand.. Like I mentioned, it looks dead on to the finish of the Ant-Man helmet that is on display which is why I bring it up. As far as products, I tend to use Alumaluster and Matrix Speed Clear. I can’t go too much into my sealing or topcoating process, but I imagine we probably share pretty similar techniques.

FC3A0362-E59B-4916-A549-8694409277BD.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain we are using very similar techniques, or at the very least we operate from the same school of thought when we approach how we do our work.
One of these days we will have a sit down and possibly share ideas!

I think with this project in particular, given the contradictions in reference material, final choice of look will boil down to personal preference and when it comes to materials and technique, there are a number of options to achieve the right results, it's just a matter of experience level and of course, patience!

Regarding the back flap staying open, in addition to taping the hinge close, removing the head harness helps a great deal. Instead I put small helmet pads on the sides and that's enough for it to fit me without the helmet wobbling on my head. Now the back stays almost completely flush when worn.

I mentioned before how annoying the eyepiece is unless you glue it in place so it doesn't shift around. I now removed it altogether and put a piece of padding above the eyes.

rNNuS9kh.jpg

Last edited:
I'm eagerly awaiting full reveal photos of the Taurus Studios helmet. Not that their paint job would be considered totally accurate to use as reference, but it'd be helpful to see their take on the finish and maybe help me decide which direction to take mine. I already have a ton of samples prepped so I'm ready to hit the ground running when my helmet arrives.

Boo, my helmet was supposed to be delivered today by amazon - now they changed it to basically, "we have no idea :D, well let you know at some point :D"

Got notification today that my preorder was charged and the website indicates the helmet is no longer in pre-order status, so I'm assuming mine will ship out any day now and anyone who haven't yet ordered one can do so now.

First impressions: this sucker has some weight to it! Definitely doesn't feel cheap in any way, except for that awful back flap, which although is an easy mod, it's still annoying for the time being until I can get around to overhauling it.
It looks so great as is, I cant wait to see it refinished!

First impressions: this sucker has some weight to it! Definitely doesn't feel cheap in any way, except for that awful back flap, which although is an easy mod, it's still annoying for the time being until I can get around to overhauling it.
It looks so great as is, I cant wait to see it refinished!

I figured as much, doesn't help that its 2 layers. If its a big issue I was thinking the inner shell could be removed, or at least parts of it as it looks like it is used almost like an inner frame. I like the design, not necessarily Ideal for some mods but I'm glad its obvious they put a lot of thought and effort into engineering it

55485961_2105360489571313_489403216912449536_o.jpg
Taurus Helmet. super nice, and bad ass looking. However, its missing the same small details as the Hasbro helmet from the looks of it, paint job does not look correct based on the props we've seen. Shape looks less accurate then the Hasbro, more streamlined (however it is possible it could be the angle, but it seems like it). Really awesome looking. An ordinary person wouldn't notice the discrepancies ;-p

Last edited:
View attachment 1004592 Taurus Helmet. super nice, and bad ass looking. However, its missing the same small details as the Hasbro helmet from the looks of it, paint job does not look correct based on the props we've seen. Shape looks less accurate then the Hasbro, more streamlined (however it is possible it could be the angle, but it seems like it). Really awesome looking. An ordinary person wouldn't notice the discrepancies ;-p
It's now up for pre-order.

Taurus Studios 1:1 scale Ant Helmet (Pre order deposit)

Apparently it's not wearable. That's disappointing. It's also their most expensive helmet. Usually they've been under $350, with the exception of Thor's Ragnarok helmet and now this.

Oof, that thing is super inaccurate. The snout is far too long and the entire faceplate is off. The Hasbro one is much better in terms of detail.

55708896_2108506412590054_5937946600599977984_n.jpg

Oof, that thing is super inaccurate. The snout is far too long and the entire faceplate is off. The Hasbro one is much better in terms of detail.
Yeah its not the most accurate, but its cool tho. This is the model they are using ^, reminds me of the do3d model lol (below)
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back