Marvel Legends Ant-Man helmet revealed

Been spending alot of time prepping paint samples and studying reference images and still frames from my Blu Ray copy of the movie. My brain is going bonkers because there are a number of color variations I'm seeing, sometimes even from shot-to-shot in film, likely due to inconsistencies in the digital model work; we are either getting a uniform chrome look all over or a black chrome jaw section or, as best I can tell on the physical prop helmet, a solid color jaw and mouth section.
At this point, I'm forced to pick which version I like the best and go with it. Without having a screen used helmet to examine in person, I'm at the mercy of the inconsistency of reference photos and the ever-changing CG helmet in film.
There's a fine line between satisfying your minds eye and also trying to stay true to what the actual finish really is. It's going to boil down to absolute preference and finalizing a look that best represents what I feel I see overall when watching the movie. There is hardly room for a best of both situation.
Just two more weeks to wait until mine arrives, but I have more samples to prep, so I'll be using the time wisely.

I think I'm just going go with the screen used helmet that's on display as my sole reference. As that's what the prop is. Like you said it varies widely with CG and lighting.

I think I'm just going go with the screen used helmet that's on display as my sole reference. As that's what the prop is. Like you said it varies widely with CG and lighting.
yeah, I'm thinking the chin section is a slightly different colour but also has less of a sheen to it then the rest of the helmet, so sometimes it looks really different, other times not so much, depending on the lighting. color is almost smokey looking, has a tinge of brown maybe? I'm sure as the resident painting expert GeneralFROSTY already has a good idea of what the color may be ;-p

Attachments

• 28188047737_b1ac6de6aa_o (1)sm.jpg
    28188047737_b1ac6de6aa_o (1)sm.jpg
    709.5 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
yeah, I'm thinking the chin section is a slightly different colour but also has less of a sheen to it then the rest of the helmet, so sometimes it looks really different, other times not so much, depending on the lighting. color is almost smokey looking, has a tinge of brown maybe? I'm sure as the resident painting expert GeneralFROSTY already has a good idea of what the color may be ;-p
I'm seeing two subtle color tone differences in that photo. Could be lighting...maybe...but the mouth section looks a tad lighter than the side pieces and the circular vent in front. Itd make it more interesting to paint this way simply for color texture.

It’s interesting to note that the helmet X3RO posted clearly has a 2K clear over the chrome. One that was, in fact, applied incorrectly. I know this from experience, and I’m sure Jimmy you do too, if you don’t seal the chrome, the urethane clear will make the metallic pigment “run” a little.

My question is, was that done on purpose to achieve that finish? I’d have to see more photos of other helmets to see if the finish varies, but it looks like the Wasp helmet was done “correctly.”

It doesn’t look like the same clear coat was applied to the darker metallic areas. Very interesting. Well, to me at least!

Last edited:
It’s interesting to note that the helmet X3RO posted clearly has a 2K clear over the chrome. One that was, in fact, applied incorrectly. I know this from experience, and I’m sure Jimmy you do too, if you don’t seal the chrome, the urethane clear will make the metallic pigment “run” a little.

My question is, was that done on purpose to achieve that finish? I’d have to see more photos of other helmets to see if the finish varies, but it looks like the Wasp helmet was done “correctly.”

It doesn’t look like the same clear coat was applied to the darker metallic areas. Very interesting. Well, to me at least!
Yes, I noticed the clear coat immediately. It appears to have been applied at to high a pressure, causing an orange peel surface (that wasnt wet sanded or polished down) which results in a wavy surface that doesnt promote reflection of the silver underneath.
The dark sections dont appear to be cleared, and I do notice subtle edge-wear weathering, which could be deliberate or a byproduct of not sealing the color.
2K stuff is great but only if you put in the labor and money to achieve showroom quality results. Movie studios seldom grant prop makers such luxuries...

Could it possibly be a stunt helmet? I wish we had more high quality images of props from this movie D: seemed like there wasn't much of a priority on that compared to the original ant-man stuff. The first movie had making of videos that highlighted the suit. For the sequel they mostly just highlighted the CGI or talked about the wasp suit / fitting the wasp suit

Could it possibly be a stunt helmet? I wish we had more high quality images of props from this movie D: seemed like there wasn't much of a priority on that compared to the original ant-man stuff. The first movie had making of videos that highlighted the suit. For the sequel they mostly just highlighted the CGI or talked about the wasp suit / fitting the wasp suit
Its definitely possible it's a stunt helmet. They made alot more helmets for the original movie, but this one I have no clue.

Yes, I noticed the clear coat immediately. It appears to have been applied at to high a pressure, causing an orange peel surface (that wasnt wet sanded or polished down) which results in a wavy surface that doesnt promote reflection of the silver underneath.
The dark sections dont appear to be cleared, and I do notice subtle edge-wear weathering, which could be deliberate or a byproduct of not sealing the color.
2K stuff is great but only if you put in the labor and money to achieve showroom quality results. Movie studios seldom grant prop makers such luxuries...

Definitely, it has orange peeled pretty badly. Seeing that surprised me a little. What I mean to say is it looks like there is another coat of clear on top of the metallic finish to me. Looking at the helmet where it angles away and at the reflection you can see a film over the metal I believe. The way the pigment has dispersed looks like another clear sign of that being the case.

I love using urethane paints when I can. You are absolutely right, care needs to be taken for the proper results.

Re: Stunt helmet.
It is certainly possible. As I mentioned, I wish I had clear shots of any other helmets to see if the finish varies.

Last edited:
It's also likely a dulling clear was applied to reduce reflection on set. I know this happens often where a prop maker will supply a prop with a very reflective finish that doesn't work well on set, so its hastily redone to matte it down.
This could very well be the case here.

The only images i've noticed a a big difference in the paint job have been in these two advertising images, to me it looks like they both use the same suit, and it doesnt appear to be the same helmet as the suit on display in those high res images, also it does not appear to have a change in finish on the mouth piece on this helmet
ant-man-and-the-wasp-3840x2160-action-adventure-sci-fi-marvel-comics-14800.jpg
35975686_1775295679173294_5693349583187345408_o.jpg

Cant trust heavily photoshopped images or CG renders. Only the physical prop counts here and I'm still not completely satisfied with the selection of images we have of the actual, physical prop. And thanks to film grading and set lighting, not even the blu ray gives me any additional information.
Just gonna have to aim for what looks right!

These two shots are from CES, a different event and much earlier on then the other high res photo's. However...lighting sucks. icm_fullxfull.159824509_71ldi4gmzfgggs4sw8cw.jpg
icm_fullxfull.155579968_btgkiky7uc8c0sgsk4g4.jpg

Sorry for the late reply. I haven’t been able to check in too frequently. They will dull stuff down here and there, but in this case there is just too much punch to the gloss on the surface for there to be matting spray on that helmet. Again, in my opinion.

You are absolutely on the money about not being able to trust promotional images. Even screen caps these days are off the table. This helmet for example? Completely digital.
2CACE39A-622E-41DC-9EF7-F3C8DBE01AFC.jpeg

I missed out on the early purchase so unfortunately I won’t have one to paint until after April 15th. The wait is going to kill me! I look forward to seeing your results General Frosty. I know the work will be impeccable.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply. I haven’t been able to check in too frequently. They will dull stuff down here and there, but in this case there is just too much punch to the gloss on the surface for there to be matting spray on that helmet. Again, in my opinion.

You are absolutely on the money about not being able to trust promotional images. Even screen caps these days are off the table. This helmet for example? Completely digital.
View attachment 999656

I missed out on the early purchase so unfortunately I won’t have one to paint until after April 15th. The wait is going to kill me! I look forward to seeing your results General Frosty. I know the work will be impeccable.
The top coat definitely isn't dulled, but there could be a mid-coat applied that knocked back the silver reflection before the 2k gloss. Over application of the silver can also reduce its reflection.

The top coat definitely isn't dulled, but there could be a mid-coat applied that knocked back the silver reflection before the 2k gloss. Over application of the silver can also reduce its reflection.

That could be the case, but from my own tests even as close as last week, I can tell you that 2K over raw unsealed chrome will look JUST like that.

There are certain ways you can seal the chrome to keep a good mirror finish, but on this helmet? I would be willing to bet they didn’t seal at all... maybe my opinion would change with further photos, but that remains to be seen.

Small detail that in the end doesn’t really matter I suppose. If/when I do this helmet I would probably idealize certain things. No orange peel of course, and a brighter aluminum/chrome. For my tastes, I would want the aluminum areas of the face to be brushed as well, which it clearly isn’t in the film. Comes down to preference I guess.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back