Marvel Legends Ant-Man helmet revealed

Mine should be arriving next week. Can't wait to get my hands on it! It's in desperate need of a repaint, but as previously mentioned, very few detail fixes need to be made which is excellent. I'm hoping the scale isn't too off. It does look pretty huge compared to Rocketeer's other helmets. Although, I have his Civil War one and I can just barely get my head in it. I'm always afraid I'm going to crack the resin, so I never put it on. Hopefully this one is a bit more forgiving, yes still close to 1/1 scale.

to me it looks similar to his original ant-mans in size, although slightly taller, my guess is because the big chin section on the newest helmet. Check this out though, found another pic of a screen used helmet on a closer angle, the far right one. Damn that's nearly Identical.

Attachments

• compare.jpg
    compare.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 326
to me it looks similar to his original ant-mans in size, although slightly taller, my guess is because the big chin section on the newest helmet. Check this out though, found another pic of a screen used helmet on a closer angle, the far right one. Damn that's nearly Identical.

Wow, it really is nearly identical. That makes me so happy! Interesting how the chin section on the far right photo almost looks like is has a matte finish. I like that they went with a darker paint for the chin in most of the helmets - It does a lot to help it blend into the rest of the costume.

I'm definitely planning on a repaint for mine (had to pre-order since I missed the limited pre-release) and may offer a professional refinishing service for anyone interested.

One thing I'm gonna need though, and anyone else who plans a repaint, are really clear reference photos to determine the colors needed.
The Civil War helmet had a much more complex paint scheme, with many subtle metallic colors used on various panels of the helmet.
The V3 helmet is simplified as far as number of colors, but I'm wondering if the antenna sections are painted in varied metallic looks.
The main helmet is an Alclad-like chrome, the mouth section a steel or gunmetal, but maybe there is some aluminum on the antenna for a subtle variation in finish.
I can't say for sure without studying better reference.
Does anyone have promo photos or high res images from the film for reference?

GeneralFROSTY

also some high res photo's here:

Ant Man Costume

the darker "chin section" you mentioned varies, between different props and between the cgi helmet and the props, some scenes its not a different colour

Attachments

• paul rudd antman wasp helmet.jpg
    paul rudd antman wasp helmet.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 314
  • icm_fullxfull.155579968_btgkiky7uc8c0sgsk4g4.jpg
    icm_fullxfull.155579968_btgkiky7uc8c0sgsk4g4.jpg
    475.3 KB · Views: 326
  • icm_fullxfull.159824509_71ldi4gmzfgggs4sw8cw.jpg
    icm_fullxfull.159824509_71ldi4gmzfgggs4sw8cw.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 311
  • icm_fullxfull.155581004_mcfhd7pj1yoosgwso00g.jpg
    icm_fullxfull.155581004_mcfhd7pj1yoosgwso00g.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 299
  • crop.jpg
    crop.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 275
  • crop2.jpg
    crop2.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 275
  • crop3.jpg
    crop3.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 346
  • 29184670628_002f898c6b_o.jpg
    29184670628_002f898c6b_o.jpg
    799 KB · Views: 281
  • 28188047737_b1ac6de6aa_o (1).jpg
    28188047737_b1ac6de6aa_o (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 272
  • 41246076880_00e4d04fb5_o.jpg
    41246076880_00e4d04fb5_o.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 307
  • 43006782452_ef165f34c3_o.jpg
    43006782452_ef165f34c3_o.jpg
    817.3 KB · Views: 284
  • AntMan2_ScanlineVFX_ITW_07.jpg
    AntMan2_ScanlineVFX_ITW_07.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
GeneralFROSTY

also some high res photo's here:

Ant Man Costume

the darker "chin section" you mentioned varies, between different props and between the cgi helmet and the props, some scenes its not a different colour
Thank you for taking the time to reply with the images.
I'm still slightly confused about the color on the mid-section of the antenna. It's not gunmetal like the front or back antenna, nor does it look as chrome-like as the face. I'm thinking it could be an aluminum color (bear in mind, I'm thinking in terms of Alclad brand paints)

Also...to anyone who has one already, can you please post detailed pics of the interior, specifically ANY area where you see how this helmet can be taken apart.
In the interest of refinishing this helmet as cleanly as possible, while reducing the amount of masking needed, I would endeavor to paint this in parts rather than as a whole.

Incredibly excited for this helmet! Won’t be something I’ll be able to jump on the repaint right away, at least for a little while... but just thinking about it has been a treat. So glad Hasbro is putting out such awesome quality stuff.

Also...to anyone who has one already, can you please post detailed pics of the interior, specifically ANY area where you see how this helmet can be taken apart.
In the interest of refinishing this helmet as cleanly as possible, while reducing the amount of masking needed, I would endeavor to paint this in parts rather than as a whole.
I just took mine apart. There's some 30 screws inside the helmet. The helmet is comprise of a dozen pieces that cone apart. It's going to be a bit of a puzzle to put back together. It's a lot more complicated than the Black Panther or Iron Man helmets. Once you pry the face off from the interior piece, it's easy to unscrew and remove the electronics and lenses. You will have to mask the top of the face in order to paint the jaw.

Shots of the interior - a lot of molded detail, even a honeycomb pattern in some areas. Looks like faceplate and side jaws are one piece, then you have the mouth piece where the battery pack is. The ears look to be separate pieces too. The top of the skull is separately attached, as is the back skull. For those thinking about having a removable face plate, looks like you'll have some cutting to do.

image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg

Shots of the interior - a lot of molded detail, even a honeycomb pattern in some areas. Looks like faceplate and side jaws are one piece, then you have the mouth piece where the battery pack is. The ears look to be separate pieces too. The top of the skull is separately attached, as is the back skull. For those thinking about having a removable face plate, looks like you'll have some cutting to do.

View attachment 995370 View attachment 995371 View attachment 995372 View attachment 995373
oYo39pU.jpg

yhg33WM.jpg

I'm happy to see the black and silver areas are separated, this negates the need to mask for painting those areas.
Can you tell me if the black frame that surrounds the red lenses also is removable?

I think the black frame is just painted part of the face.

After removing all the screws, the helmet pretty much falls apart and I didn't pay much attention to the order of everything. Several pieces are interlocked with one another. It didn't seem like you can access the screws to remove the faceplate before taking the rest of it apart first.

I think the black frame is just painted part of the face.

After removing all the screws, the helmet pretty much falls apart and I didn't pay much attention to the order of everything. Several pieces are interlocked with one another. It didn't seem like you can access the screws to remove the faceplate before taking the rest of it apart first.
My business partner is a wiz at taking things apart and putting them back together correctly, I'm lucky to have him so I can focus purely on the paint process.

Putting it back together wasn't so bad after all.Fortunately there IS a more efficient way to remove the faceplate.

Remove the top of the helmet only, which is comprised of 9 screws. Don't worry about the hinge or the backplate.There are 2 hidden screws that are otherwise inaccessible near the top. Then just unscrew the face (6 screws inside the face + 2 near the antenna + the eye mask). You can then pry off the faceplate.

nC2IHz5h.jpg

Last edited:
Received this item last week and returned it immediately the morning after. Was not pleased compared to other legacy helmets I own. It was huge (like previous comments have mentioned). Aesthetically, it was not even pleasing to keep as a collector's item compared to my cosplay helmets from God of Props/Rocketeer. Even if a repaint was done, you would still need more modifications and the helmet is just too bulky for my liking.

It'd be nice to see a real side by side comparison, but the odds of that happening are pretty slim.
I always thought the helmet in Civil War and Ant-Man 2 was much bulkier than the first movie.
Looking at images from the movie, Paul Rudd's frame and height DO contribute to the helmet looking much larger than say the Iron Man helmet, which is much narrower and compact.
I will disagree that a repaint won't improve this product. It will, tremendously and as soon as I get my hands on one, I'll prove it.

Yeah, detail and proportion wise this helmet is awesome. No one else has made a helmet as accurate as this, there's a difference between a good helmet an an accurate helmet. I have an original rocketeer ant-man helmet, and it was painted by General Frosty (ArtisanFX) The paint job is amazing, and the modelling is very clean and great quality, but its not an accurate helmet, I still love it, and cosplay with it. But for the accuracy and value of this helmet I cant wait to get my hands on it. I messaged Hasbro and asked them about it and they said it is 1/1 scale with the movie helmet, And I've actually heard its a little big from some people and a little snug from others so I'm thinking Head size likely comes into play as well, unfortunately 1 size fits all screws a lot of people over :p

Yeah, detail and proportion wise this helmet is awesome. No one else has made a helmet as accurate as this, there's a difference between a good helmet an an accurate helmet. I have an original rocketeer ant-man helmet, and it was painted by General Frosty (ArtisanFX) The paint job is amazing, and the modelling is very clean and great quality, but its not an accurate helmet, I still love it, and cosplay with it. But for the accuracy and value of this helmet I cant wait to get my hands on it. I messaged Hasbro and asked them about it and they said it is 1/1 scale with the movie helmet, And I've actually heard its a little big from some people and a little snug from others so I'm thinking Head size likely comes into play as well, unfortunately 1 size fits all screws a lot of people over :p
Exactly. I'm guessing itll be "big" on me because I'm a 22" head size. I learned a while back through the Indygear forum that I have what some consider a smaller hat size. I think if you're wearing this helmet without the extra bulk of the leather suit, its gonna look bigger on you, especially if you're just wearing a tshirt or something, it just looks different on your frame that way.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back