Marty McFly 1985 costume, where is it now?

Kevincupp. I am going to have to disagree with you on the color of the McFly jacket. The base color of the jacket is an acid washed black down to grey. It is not blue.

I am quoting myself here because the statement I made above is not true. I spent today going through the half dozen Guess jackets I have from 84/85. I actually pealed back stitching and the jacket is in fact blue. Kevincupp you are correct. The jacket is acid washed blue down to a grey color. The acid washing didnt fade the same on the seams.

Indymagnoli's new vest.
mag-vest-color_zps1me7eb0c.jpg

The first Class-5 vest I found was the correct size and pattern but was blue. At that time, now maybe three years ago, I emailed Magnoli Clothiers site about a copy in the correct color. I had another Class-5 vest that was the correct color so I was looking for a color match. The Medium size, like in the film fit me perfectly, but they still wanted to sell me a tailored version.

He explained there wasn't enough demand for his vest to warrant any updates and that they were happy with their pattern. It is nice to see an update but at that price it is still not a color or pattern match and looks about as poofy as a quilt. The Class-5 brand was top of the line gear in its time and their vests are filled with real goose down. It wasn't that I was looking for a freebie but I felt that the correct pattern would have been worth something off the price. A month later I found the real thing so I never bothered with a copy.

That was a sample we worked on that I posted for color in another thread. You'll notice there is also a vertical stitch missing next to the snap on the wearer's left side. These will be corrected on the final pattern.

The original Class-5 did have unevenly spaced buttons though.

Last edited:
As far a color match goes I own 11 class 5 vests in various shades of orange. You can't really color match their products, as the color varied so much.

This picture does not do it justice as to how different the oranges are.Class 5 colors.jpg

You guys have multiple Class-5 vests and I don't even have one?! The jealousy and longing is real! (Anybody have a spare XS..? No? Ok I tried.)

It's interesting seeing both the color variations and overall different styles of the vests. I don't think comparisons like that have been shared before, at least not all in the same photo. Really gives you an idea how much the color varied.

It's actually stone-washed dark blue. Take a look at TheRealMcFly's photo above, it has good detail. I have a jacket in the same color, and if you look closely, you can tell it was dyed a very dark blue, and then stonewashed to give it the uneven lighter look. That's why there's such division on this issue, it was such a dark shade of blue that it looks somewhat gray after being distressed, especially after being photographed in different light, so some folks make totally gray replicas (like making a jacket from the more commonly-available gray Guess Marciano with black leather on the shoulders), and some make them too blue (like Headgoonie's).

I have this magazine. There are no more photos of the lining on the inside, the best photo is the one on the cover. Here is a photo as clear as I can get it. Headgoonie has done a pretty good job reproducing the inner lining.

View attachment 436322

Just saw this. Haven't checked in in a while. Thanks so much!

I read an interesting article on Hollywood Reporter called ”The Memorabilia King vs. the Studio Detective: The Never-Before-Told Account of an Epic Battle Over Stolen Movie Props.”

It mentions BTTF towards the end:
[...] He contends that his three Marty McFly jackets from the Back to the Future series, "the most important of the items that I did get back," were ruined by improper care. "You could put your finger through 'em, they were so badly damaged and scrunched and tattered," he says. "It was just horrible. Terrible condition. They were worthless. I put them in a box and sold them to a guy for a couple hundred bucks."

I'm not sure it is. I own a section of the restored Spina jacket that came off pre-restoration. The backstory is that it was sold by Screenused in great condition in 2004, but was stored poorly and wasted away. It went back to auction and then to Spina.
Oh that's interesting, you might be right. I know there were multiples of these made but not a ton.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread again, but I was listening to Rob Klein guesting on the latest 'Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of' podcast, and he confirmed that at least one of the original McFly Guess Denim Jackets and a Class-5 vest are in a private collection. The vest was sewn to the jacket during filming to keep it in place when MJF was moving around, and they are both still sewn together today. I don't know who the collector is, but it's comforting to know there's at least one still out there!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back