Mark 46 build 3D print

Which catalyst primer did you use if you don't mind me asking? Also, how was working with it compared to other fillers/primers? I'm experimenting with different filler/primer options for smoothing/cleanups.

This is the one I'm using. I think its much better than a rattle can. It almost puts a epoxy like coat over the PLA and sands pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will you use any enamel paint or directly go with metal paint?

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk

Will using both enamel and lacquer.

- - - Updated - - -

Put the front abs and lower back together today. Going to put a hinge one side and heavy magnets on the other. Here is the back in progress. Lots of sanding to do still on this.

I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me get printing, but she has a major concern- scratches. We took Wonder Woman to a convention, and after 2 days, her printed bracers were covered with marks, and I'll have to sand and entirely repaint them. From wearing the pieces you have, have you damaged the paint at all? I'd like to not have to re-do the finish after each wear.

I have a foam mk7 that I coated with smooth-on 65D, and each time I wear it, I have to check the insides of the thighs, the sides of the chest, the abs, the inside of the arms, the shoes, and the helmet for scratches and chips in the paint. I want to give all my money to DO3D, but the boss won't let me unless I get confirmation that repairs are minimal and/or simple. :) Thank you!

Last edited:
I have a foam mk7 that I coated with smooth-on 65D, and each time I wear it, I have to check the insides of the thighs, the sides of the chest, the abs, the inside of the arms, the shoes, and the helmet for scratches and chips in the paint. I want to give all my money to DO3D, but the boss won't let me unless I get confirmation that repairs are minimal and/or simple. :) Thank you!

I totally understand the concern. I'm going to run a test with spraying 2K Urethane clear coat over my paint job a little further in the project with hopes that it will protect the paint job. Scratches however are pretty much inevitable.

I totally understand the concern. I'm going to run a test with spraying 2K Urethane clear coat over my paint job a little further in the project with hopes that it will protect the paint job. Scratches however are pretty much inevitable.
Have you worked with 3d prints and that clear coat before? I use a rattle can clear coat, and it does nothing to stop the scratches. I'm wondering if I could cover it in plastidip or something that won't scratch as easily...

Have you worked with 3d prints and that clear coat before? I use a rattle can clear coat, and it does nothing to stop the scratches. I'm wondering if I could cover it in plastidip or something that won't scratch as easily...

Haven't yet, but I definitely plan on using a 2K clear coat (Uses a catalyst/hardener) as opposed to a rattle can clear coat. Unfortunately a rattle can clear coat does not have a catalyst that would give that little bit of extra strength. Don't get me wrong, it will still scratch with a 2K, but it will make it much more durable. Basically its the same stuff used on cars.

I'm looking to wear this suit up to every weekend, so I can't have too much battle damage. I think we're looking at a foam build, and covering the pieces with 4 way stretch fabric. I'm worried about rips, but those should be easier to deal with than repainting every joint after each use.

As someone who isn't incredible with making things look perfect, I always resort to battle damage to hide and accentuate ACTUAL damage or imperfections. This 3D Print is the first time I'm trying to get a "perfect" looking Iron Man suit, but still might do very slight weathering around the edges. My Mk 7 foam suit is beaten to DEATH but still looks good because of the "damage" painting job. 11898676_1000914809960478_7534339938729516943_n.jpg

Thanks. It's duplicolor sunburst gold

Suit test. Just need to work on the sides a little to keep together better and touch up the seam. Still thinking I might have to remake the chest and shoulders a little bigger?

Suit test. Just need to work on the sides a little to keep together better and touch up the seam. Still thinking I might have to remake the chest and shoulders a little bigger?

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums...5-E3ED-4A22-948E-2DD71FD37D28_zpsqojndvjj.jpg

Hi, for the red colors I noticed you mentioned two different reds, sunburst and metalcast, did you put a coat of one color and then the other? Which one goes first, and does it make a difference in the end based on the paint layers you did? Aside from that, I'm loving the look so far

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums...5-E3ED-4A22-948E-2DD71FD37D28_zpsqojndvjj.jpg

Looks great!

Remaking the chest and shoulders is entirely up to you. If you think the fit is too tight, go for it. If not, I would suggest to leave it this way.

You do need to decide before you make the back :)

I think the proportion is dead on. The mk 46 is very organic and form fitting, so I think it looks great. Im just jealous you're skinny enough to fit in the build. I'll need to work on that.

Thanks you probably confirmed that there was an identification on my sunburst can fron duplicolor because its almost brown and i use a really pale grey primer

Envoyé de mon SM-G530W en utilisant Tapatalk
47c4082e74ad4740364eae434f4a20d8.jpg

I would really spend more time on bondo and sanding, to get that guy "production smooth"
If you talk about mine well Yeah i know its ugly I dont really like it too but I have a lot of study to do and i need to finish the suit for july 6th and i still need to do the whole legs ,one bicep and both shoulder and I only have 150$ remaining out of 600 $ and i need to buy all my paint can and another can of bondo because i wont have enough for my helmet and shoulder plate and also need to buy my electronics things for the lights Im hardly trying to find a job to get some money but on 30 request no one called me back so i try to use the less bondo and paint as I can. I already got to put a mark on buying a 3d printer this summer sadly but I want to make a better one or remove all the paint on this one after the comic con and finish correctly what I started ☺

Looks ugly? You're insane! This is the best mk 46 build I've seen out there. I think you are well on your way with this one.
Nno ahahah his mark 46 is awesome Ahahahah i thought you talked about the picture of my faceplate

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back