Marble Deck

Keichewer

Hello everyone! This is Keichewer, and my first post on this forum!

I would like to say hello to everyone, and ask for some friendly advice for an idea I have, see, I perform magic.

I would like to create a stacked deck of cards (2.5" x 3.5" x 1.6"), that replicates the look and feel of a solid smooth piece of stone. I have had a few ideas... but in reality, I have no idea what method I should go with.

Idea #1 Get two colors of sculpey, lightly mix them, and then shape it, and bake it

What I don't like about this idea is that while it *may* give the look of marble, it probably wont feel like it (as you can guess I want people to be able to feel it)

and

Idea #2 Make some kind of oil-based clay positive, make a negative out of silicone, and do a resin cast.

I know this idea is very possible, but I have no idea where to get supplies, and why I should one item over another.

With both ideas. I worry about getting a perfectly smooth finish on the initial form.

Any help or further advice and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Keichewer.

the problem with thin pieces of marble are that they can be quite fragile if there are even small inclusions at any point,

this of course depends on the actual thickness required, but most functional marble work is rather heavy duty or supported by a substrate.

what could be done is super thin engraved marble with an epoxy backing,
in lapidary such a substrate can be used for backing various thin exhibit pieces that need the structure for use in jewelry for an example.

i will have to see if i have any actual marble lying around, if i have i could try cutting a few slivers and get some load readings (for what they are worth, marble is a natural material and varies quite a lot)

sources: practical work with lapidary

Ah. My apologies, I forgot to mention my reason for going with an alternative.

All of the businesses in my area would cut the deck for me, but all quotes were a minimum of $300.

So I'm many ways I was just exploring my options.

And thank you for the quick reply my friend.

If you went with casting than I would suggest cold cast.
It's resin with marble dust so it is heavy and cold to the touch.

I'm sure it could be polished smooth and you could coat it in Future floor wax for and extra smooth shine.

if you went that route there is also several tutorials around the net for creating a pretty convincing marbling effect, i dont know if this could be directly incorporated into the casting material division 6 mentioned.

cultured marble could be an option but is essentially the same as the cold cast mentioned, marble dust and fragments in a binder, some can simulate marble by themselves others look like fine grain concrete.
it is stronger and more stable,

do you know what kind of thickness is needed? or at least in what range?

Wow everyone, thank you for all the great responses so far, I really appreciate it.

The stone doesn't have to be marble, that's just the image I have in my mind. I do want it to have the look, feel, and sound (if I were to drop it on a table from five or six inches away) of something very solid.

I would like it to be a little more than one and a half inch thick Oodain.

As far as cold casting with a stone powder in the resin, I am a little cautious about since I have no previous experience with it. Or even know where I should go to get the supplies for it.

Last edited:
at that thickness durability shouldnt be an issue.

unfortunately i dont have much experience casting resins so i cant help you there:confused

so 1 and a half inch is 3.81cm,cultured marble slabs come in a standard of 20 - 50 mm over here, in 10 mil increments, so perhaps there will be a local hardware store that has some scraps lying around, it is often used as marble for counter tops and the like.

that might, if the size is similar, allow you to create a prototype without casting.
the process of casting in resin doesnt seem to be that inaccesable either but there are others with infinitely more experience than me at that here.

Thank you Oodain. :)

I think I have sufficient information now to put this idea into practice.

As this mini-project progresses I will post a picture or two of the deck, and the routine that I'm using it for.

Casting something like that is really easy and straight forward.
A single open faced mold made over a prototype object.

Smooth-On is pretty much your one stop shop concerning molding and casting materials and information.
There are also lots of videos on youtube on molding and casting.

no problem Keichewer, happy i could help:)

i would love to see a picture of the process and product, whichever method you choose.

and thank you division 6 for the shop link, will probably come in handy at one point or another.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back