titanic deck rails

wasp308

hi has anyone here formed the deck rails on a 1/350 minicraft titanic. i was wondering if the was an easy way of bending them. i was thinking about putting the railing in hot water to soften it up and making it easy to bend without breaking.

When i built mine back in 1997, i bought brass photo etched rails, benches and other parts.
You just bend them to shape, temp glue them onto something and spray paint them with a can of primer white. Then superglue them onto the model after the model is painted.

BTW, red primer is perfect for the bottom too, as well as a can of matt black and the primer white for the rest of the ship. Just be sure to spray the white first, as i didn't and it took a few coats of white where i was spraying it over the already painted black areas.

Keith.

If you're doing railings with plastic, tiny drops of solvent cement at the bend points allows for smooth corners, etc. Practice on some non critical parts first, though - the amount of glue needed varies with the thickness of the parts, the type of plastic they are made of and the formula of the cement. So, too many variables to sort without first doing a bit of experimentation. For example, some cements will allow you to bend right away while others may take a few seconds to soften the plastic so it won't snap while bending.

If you think this sounds tricky, using hot water with such small cross section parts will be even more so. Perhaps, if using heat, try an hair dryer instead. On low heat!

If you can swing it, Keith has the best suggestion. Gold Medal Models has an excellent photo-etch (PE) brass set for the Titanic, in fact several. Includes a whole lot more than just railings!

If you are asking this because you are using brass PE, hot water will have no effect. You need 'flame hot' to anneal the metal (heat red-hot then allow to cool slowly) to soften the brass significantly. I expect if you Google 'annealing brass PE' you'll find a ton of videos on the technique.

Good luck!

Regards, Robert

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back