Man-Thing Marvel Sculpt

MikaelP

So I've just started sculpting, this is my third try. I'm sculpting Man-Thing with some interpretations since it is definitely not 100% accurate. Yes, that is two lightbulbs ase eyes. All who knows fear are burned by his touch...
While sculpting I look for creating an interesting silhouette and incorporate iconic features. After that I want it to look interesting, for example the jaw lines where a desperate attempt because his face started looking so flat during sculpting. About 4kg of clay was used.

3245_54a5429e9606ee514bb57dbe.jpg
23423_54a5429e9606ee5130e9a0fe.jpg
63456_54a5429eddf2b3379a9af9c2.jpg
65462_54a5429f9606ee512d914f05.jpg

My first two tries were King Kong and Spider-man. Those were just learning and full credit to the original creators of busts which I used pictures from for reference and inspiration. I use air-drying clay.

6745556_54a5429f9606ee514bb57dbf.jpg
4565_54a5429eddf2b30ea5608ca3.jpg

Last edited:
King Kong and Spider man were very pro. Look forward to watching future progress. Does the air dry clay allow for enough time to fully sculpt before hardening?

King Kong and Spider man were very pro. Look forward to watching future progress. Does the air dry clay allow for enough time to fully sculpt before hardening?
Thanks hapslappy! King Kong and Spidey were good because I looked at other busts just to learn to sculpt. Sculpting takes about 4 to 5 hours, and that is good enough for me. During sculpting I dampen the sculpt with water to keep it from hardening. Although the main problem has been the clay cracking. I've been trying different air-drying clay to see if it can be avoided that way. It seems this terracotta clay have not cracked yet. Spidey and King Kong did though.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back