Man of Steel Fabric update--Warner Bros Studio Museum visit.

On a side note, anyone planning on tackleing a spidey suit in the same manner?
Foam latex muscle undersuit (emphasizing on the traps, bicepts, and shoulders) painted metallic red for the red parts and metallic blue for the blue parts.
I'm thinking that even if, when moving, when the suit shifts and the undersuit colors don't align with the fabric color, it wouldn't be too noticeable.
Or just everything silver except the protruding muscles, those can be painted accordingly.

As for the fabric, montysaurus and bolteon59 supplied awesome sources, maybe go for a darker red and cobalt blue..?
Personal preference for how rich you want the colors.
I'm not quite sure if you could maybe send the glissnet to a fabric printing company to get the sewing pattern/web lines/honeycomb or brick pattern printed onto both the red and blue.
Or just stencil it all on yourself, which leaves a lot of room for customization and also, mistakes.
Now sewing the individual red and blue parts together will probably cause a migraine.

Another speedbump would be the neck, hands, and head.
With that, possibly a full body silver morph suit with the face cut out and a faceshell.

I don't know. Just a thought that's been on the back burner since seeing the first MOS Kal-El set pic.
If I had the funds, I would tackle this and make a wip thread.

On a side note, anyone planning on tackleing a spidey suit in the same manner?
Foam latex muscle undersuit (emphasizing on the traps, bicepts, and shoulders) painted metallic red for the red parts and metallic blue for the blue parts.
I'm thinking that even if, when moving, when the suit shifts and the undersuit colors don't align with the fabric color, it wouldn't be too noticeable.
Or just everything silver except the protruding muscles, those can be painted accordingly.

As for the fabric, montysaurus and bolteon59 supplied awesome sources, maybe go for a darker red and cobalt blue..?
Personal preference for how rich you want the colors.
I'm not quite sure if you could maybe send the glissnet to a fabric printing company to get the sewing pattern/web lines/honeycomb or brick pattern printed onto both the red and blue.
Or just stencil it all on yourself, which leaves a lot of room for customization and also, mistakes.
Now sewing the individual red and blue parts together will probably cause a migraine.

Another speedbump would be the neck, hands, and head.
With that, possibly a full body silver morph suit with the face cut out and a faceshell.

I don't know. Just a thought that's been on the back burner since seeing the first MOS Kal-El set pic.
If I had the funds, I would tackle this and make a wip thread.

Oh yes indeed, I've been thinking about it a lot (especially since I'm much more fond of the Spidey films than the Man of Steel film. I just can't deny that the costume design of the superman movie is incredible.)
It's an apt comparison, because James Acheson, the brilliant costume designer who designed the techniques used for the suits on the original Sam Raimi Spider-Man films (which have been tweaked and adapted but fundamentally unchanged for the next two films, muscle suits aside) was also the lead costume designer for the Man of Steel suits. His work on these feels like an extension of and the next step to take regarding the Spidey suit techniques he pioneered--augmenting the physique slightly with muscle layers (but not grotesquely) and using sleight of hand to combat the tendency of fabric to blur over and mask definition of musculature, incorporating a raised pattern element to better hide seams and make the suit appear more durable and also painting bold diagonals across the body to slim the waist visually, all of it is taken to new and different extremes with his work here, but still using the original principles he tried out on the Spidey suits.

I haven't attempted it myself yet because the project would be gargantuan, and I'm already wrapped up in and stressing out about finishing my replica of the Amazing Spider-Man 2 suit.

Last edited:
Ah...see I had a feeling mr. Acheson had some influence, but wasn't sure and I didn't look it up (shame on me). But I also took into consideration that it was just an influenced idea, the whole raised texture, seeing as how they went to the extreme on TaSM suit.
As a film director and amateur costume maker, when I do my spidey film (typical, I know) I was very much in love with the raised texture but not with the entire suit. TASM 2 suit is almost perfect, to me. In my opinion, knowing the first movie was just to re-open the door, the should of kept a little bit more from the design and incorporated it more in the sequels suit. The honeycomb idea was original in a sense. I would've kept that, but not make it raised on the red.
As far as the actual design for the colors.., they should've kept the arms and tweaked the legs. Adding the belt was inevitable.
But that is my opinion.
Now, thanks to the info you provided about the MOS suit, once I confirm sponsors from showing my first cut of my spidey film, I will go this route and remake the suit and re-shoot everything. Try and get the same crew together but other than their help with the tech, I kinda try to do everything. Script, storyboard, pre production, costumes, locations, post, sfx, editing, and final cut.
But yea, everyone and a lot of the threads have given me further knowledge and motivation to work harder.

Eventually, I will post past costumes and props I've made on here, I just don't have the time.
Maybe even the short films that I used them in. Maybe.

I have a question, are you into sfx?

Ah...see I had a feeling mr. Acheson had some influence, but wasn't sure and I didn't look it up (shame on me). But I also took into consideration that it was just an influenced idea, the whole raised texture, seeing as how they went to the extreme on TaSM suit.
The raised poly ink honeycomb on the TASM suit was an innovation under Kym Barret's team, who took up after Acheson left the series. I was referring to the raised webbing on the Raimi suit being analogous to the belt, wrist, back, and oblique details on the MOS suit, the former of which was employed to hide seams and allow pattern lines to be visible and distinct under any lighting conditions, though the principle of the chainmail pattern and TASM honeycomb are analogous on a smaller scale.

TASM 2 suit is almost perfect, to me. In my opinion, knowing the first movie was just to re-open the door, the should of kept a little bit more from the design and incorporated it more in the sequels suit. The honeycomb idea was original in a sense. I would've kept that, but not make it raised on the red.
As far as the actual design for the colors.., they should've kept the arms and tweaked the legs. Adding the belt was inevitable.
But that is my opinion.
I agree that the TASM2 suit is lovely, Deborah Lynn Scott and her team did a great job incorporating elements that were explored by the previous designers and still created something of their own that was distinct and faithful to the comics. It's been a tricky task trying to match what they did, especially when it comes to the depth of the colors. I myself really like the direction they've gone with regards to colors and shapes on the arms, but I have lots of respect for the previous suit as well.

Now, thanks to the info you provided about the MOS suit, once I confirm sponsors from showing my first cut of my spidey film, I will go this route and remake the suit and re-shoot everything. Try and get the same crew together but other than their help with the tech, I kinda try to do everything. Script, storyboard, pre production, costumes, locations, post, sfx, editing, and final cut.
But yea, everyone and a lot of the threads have given me further knowledge and motivation to work harder.

Eventually, I will post past costumes and props I've made on here, I just don't have the time.
Maybe even the short films that I used them in. Maybe.
Interesting, good luck with your projects. I think we might be veering SLIGHTLY off topic in this discussion, but it's all good. :lol

I have a question, are you into sfx?
No, I'm an actor here in LA, but I have a lot of interest in practical effects and costumes.

Just received my cape material this week. Question I have is how do you sew it? I purchased 6 yards of it, so the cape will be huge and majestic, but again if it has no seams, and is a single layer then how do you put it together? going by length or width? Anyone?

"You can save them-you can save all of them."

Just received my cape material this week. Question I have is how do you sew it? I purchased 6 yards of it, so the cape will be huge and majestic, but again if it has no seams, and is a single layer then how do you put it together? going by length or width? Anyone?

It would depend on the width of the bolt, if it's longer than the length from you shoulders to the floor, you could orient the fabric horizontally and then work out how to cut the perimeter and how much to gather at the shoulders using the tons of length you have at your disposal, but if the bolt width is shorter than that, you could use its width as your horizontal element from which to gather, etc, and use your extra length to allow you to tailor the vertical dimension exactly where you want it.

It's tough to be sure from screen caps and promotional photos, but big capes like these tend to be cut in semicircular patterns so that all parts fall to the same length at your feet when the cape is relaxed and draping. That would indicate orienting the width of the fabric bolts to match with your vertical height from shoulder to floor, with your generous lengths laid out horizontally, so you have room to cut the semi circle shape.

Also, like I said, it's very tough to tell with all the folds if there are any seams in the cape, but there don't appear to be any. One things for sure, there are absolutely no horizontal seams in the cape, so if you had to use more than one piece to accomplish the look, you would want to join them with a vertical seam in the back, in the midst of the shoulder pleats, not the center.

EDIT
Here, for example, is a typical dramatic batman cape pattern showing how the semicircular aspect works, from Flash Dixon's build, though this one continues forward into what's closer to a complete circle than a semicircle to allow the performer to do that 'pillar of black' look where Bruce's body is all swallowed up by his cape.
IMG_0031.JPG

It's very hard to find shots of the MOS cape spread out that aren't CG-augmented, but it seems like we're shooting for something that can be accommodated with a semicircular cut.
newmanofsteelphoto1.png

man-of-steel-henry-cavill5.jpg

Man-of-Steel-Kal-El.jpg

man-of-steel-total-film-cover.jpg

the-man-of-steel-back-view-cape.png

Superman_Man+of+Steel_Costume_Back.jpg

Man%20of%20Steel%20Suit.jpg

qKJEWGN.gif

vI1bFMJ.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder... The more I look at that cape, the more I wonder if it's suedecloth or if it's cotton velour -- the stuff they make theater curtains out of. I know that's what was used in Return of the Jedi for the Emperor's guards. It's available in a variety of weights and colors, and comes in long rolls that are usually 60" to 120" wide. I hadn't asked when I was scouting for sources for my ROTJ Royal Guard, but there might also be double-sided versions of the fabric available... I won't have time until later tonight or tomorrow to run that down, if you want to in the meantime.

Also...

article-0-0E381B2D00000578-694_468x770.jpg

That thar is a red cape. It's annoyingly hard to find screencaps of him in his battle armor, but if the 1:6 scale figure is remotely accurate, that one has a red cape, too. Might be a different fabric and/or different color than his son's, but it's hard to tell.

--Jonah

When you finish that suit you can do a replica to buy? I'm very interesting if the suit is like the original in details. In case contact me on pM please tnk

When you finish that suit you can do a replica to buy? I'm very interesting if the suit is like the original in details. In case contact me on pM please tnk
This thread isn't about making or selling a suit, it's simply informational regarding the materials used for the film. There's no product to buy here, we're not in the junkyard. Please stop spamming all of the Man of Steel threads asking for a suit.

It a not my intention to spamming, if there are on the forum a specific part to Find sale product, i M interesting to know thank

Hey not sure if you saw my original post but have you got any info on the material for Faoras cloak? :)
Sorry for missing that, I don't, really. I didn't look too closely at it, but it was a thin material that draped and flowed kind of like Kal El's cape, so it might well be a similar microsuede material. I remember it had a bit of an irregular surface pattern and tattered edges.

Here's a decent shot of it, overexposed by a camera flash:
130602-MOS-FAORA1.jpg

Thank you, I am looking to make her other costume, the grey armour one. I will have to look further to see if the cloaks are different. :)

Has anyone else noticed that there appears to be a slit in the bottom center of the cape in this Gif? (look in the center-left of the image just as the cape billows up) I'm not a Superman expert so I don't know what has or hasn't been discovered about this costume yet, just thought I'd ask since I hadn't yet seen that feature mentioned in my reading.

-Nick

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back