Making my first Bio!! pep style--from Chile. UPDATE! VIDEO!

sulaco

Hi guys..
i want to share with you my humble first step making this P1 biohelmet which I am building based on a pepakura model circulating on the net ......

immediately a thought.
The Pepakura model is good but it is far from the forms of the original bio, so, must be made many modifications to achieve a fairly close shape to the original P1.

as you know the Pepakura technique is: print, cut, fold and assemble a cardboard model on which applied resin and then put some bondo to smooth the surface, personally i preffer a resin called "solflex" which contains a polyester resin with fiberglass all in one and is "light cure" (don't know if that's is correct spelling), the downside, is expensive, the positive side, you can work without problems in artificial light with a very malleable putty, once you take it out the sun or put it under a ultraviolet ligth it will cure in 10 minutes! NICE!

i don't have pics of the pepakura process but have some of the rest of the process

in my backyard putting bondo with a small dental tool.
57402255.th.jpg.png

close up!!:
21065840.th.jpg.png

sanding night...
48381368.th.jpg.png

*yes i know.. i'm so bald .

here start the corrections of the pep shape.

too high
19688650.th.jpg.png

solving the problem
24628110.th.jpg.png

putting bondo (pic without sanding)
71010721.th.jpg.png

extending the "helmet flaps", put some cardboard on it, and later applied a layer of solflex and bondo.
19740807.th.jpg.png

the helmet with the new "flaps" and the "correct" shape of the dome
dscn3220.th.jpg.png

as well i made some correction to the mouth section but still "feel" wrong to me
dscn3222d.th.jpg.png

400 hours later of sanding and the first layer of primer
dscn3223x.th.jpg.png

still need a lot of work

making some comparison with a hollywood collecting model and i found a lot of differences so i was very dessapointed-...

comparativap.th.jpg.png

so i took my dremell and make some cuts to achieved the corrects dimensions, and also make the holes for the laser sigth and the thing with the "hose conectors..."

86931938.th.jpg.png

23208239.th.jpg.png

putting some oild based clay to make the shape
84101800.th.jpg.png

and then a layer of solflex on it, putting the clay away...
84069661.th.jpg.png

inside view
14948435.th.jpg.png

* Quick conclusion, the solflex can be applied directly on the clay and it won't sitck to it.!!

making the 3 laser "thing"

16524340.th.jpg.png

87892086.th.jpg.png

99294193.th.jpg.png

so it is waiting for the solflex and the coat of bondo...
soon new pics...

guys here's some new pics testing the sigth and also a video ...
enjoy

putting the laser sigth ..

dscn3300ha.th.jpg.png

extendening even more the flaps, now i'm almost happy with the result..
dscn3305t.th.jpg.png

all together with some primer on it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZTkqwvVxIw

i hope you can trow some lines to tell me what ya thinks guys!!
greetings from Chile!!! the very ass of the world!!! (but a beautifull ass after all)

57402255.th.jpg.png

21065840.th.jpg.png

48381368.th.jpg.png

19688650.th.jpg.png

24628110.th.jpg.png

71010721.th.jpg.png

19740807.th.jpg.png

dscn3220.th.jpg.png

dscn3222d.th.jpg.png

Great job on that bio...didn't realize a pepurka (sp?) could come out that good.
yeah!, well i think pepakura is very handy when you want to build armors, helmets and stuff, it is definitelly a great option not to mention that is a very cheap process, you can achieved very simetric shapes...
but in this case the 3d model have a heavy differences to the original bio, so like i said before, needs a lot of work...!!!

thats some wicked stuff man..... u got some patience
believe it or not, I'm not, !!!!
so I'm making a huge effort not to go and mold of the damn thing already, but I'm also kind of perfectionist so I'm trapped.
yes sir... trapped.

sorry for the double post-
cheers.

Really nice man. I've been thinking over a pep bio for a while. I just wasn't sure if one could turn out realisticly or not. Your's did so I may have to try one myself.

Wow, nice work, you certainly have a way with pepakura. At least, more than I do. I found it quite frustrating, but my finished pieces are quite nice. BUt for work to end result, wasn't worth it in my mind.

Great job :p

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back