Making Hand Molds - which way is best

Darkraven

I need some advice,

I need to make casts of my hands so i can make the hands for my predator suit, ive been told a couple of ways of doing this and before i rush into either one id like to know which is best

the first one is to make a box that can fit your hand with the figures stretched out with enough room on either side so the fingers aren't touching the wall of the box you then pour in the alginate let is set then pour plaster into the mold and bingo a cast of your hand.

the second is to make the alginate slightly thicker and cover it on your hands, let it set then wrap plaster bandages around and gently pull your hand out and then pour in the plaster to make the cast.

Which one is best?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Raven

I would go the box route. More time to make the boxes but easier. Be sure to use the strongest plaster you can find to cast them or the fingers will break easily.

I would go the box route. More time to make the boxes but easier. Be sure to use the strongest plaster you can find to cast them or the fingers will break easily.
That sounds very useful Biohunter76 because I was going to get a starter kit from Smooth-on and that has enough material to make some plaster hands to make some good Predator gloves.

Thanks Biohunter

ive found two sorts of alginate one says normal and the other is slow set which gives you 3 - 4 minutes of working time but it doesnt say how much working time you have with the normal stuff

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back