Magneto Helmet X-Men First Class - New Master Last page

Pannaus Props

Sr Member
Hi gang
After finishing my Iron Man Helmet, I've decided to jump on something to try my "universal helmet" base.

What's that?
I thought it would have been nice to have a basic shape to start from insted of killing myself with sintra every time.

So I took a safety helmet and I've trimmed it and sanded it:

elmo.jpg

elmo2.jpg

Then I've added some loyal forex to make the walls of the helmet:

elmo3.jpg

You can see here the inside view:

elmo4.jpg

I've then close the gap with some plastiline (used mold-max this time so I didn't have to worry about silicone not curing):

elmo1.jpg

Once molded and got the first cast, I've started working on the magneto build:

1.jpg

2.jpg

I've warmed the resin and close the cheek covers:

3.jpg

I've then made paper templates to draw the "ornaments" or whatever they're called, put them on the helmet and started doing comparison with the movie shots. Looks pretty good so far.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Right now I'm going very fast and I almost can't believe it :D
The realy key to this was the universal helmet cast!

Thanks for watching!

Last edited:
Re: X-Men - First Class - Magneto Helmet

Helmet has to be sanded, right now it's all bumps here and there :D But i'm happy of how things progress ;) Thanks!

Great start! I love how you utilized a hard hat as a base. ;)
I don't know if it's the camera angle, but it seems the front bottom is a half inch too short, as I see your jawline and the helmet is suppose to hide that portion of the face.

Great start! I love how you utilized a hard hat as a base. ;)
I don't know if it's the camera angle, but it seems the front bottom is a half inch too short, as I see your jawline and the helmet is suppose to hide that portion of the face.

Yeah I know, camera angle is a little different actually, but I'll look into that ;) Thanks!

Looks cool so far, are you making a magneto color scheme or shaw color scheme?

Not sure yet, probably Shaw, but for the sake of accuracy I'll do the crest anyways :D

Thanks guys ;)

Small update ;)

6.jpg

7.jpg

Cut the ornaments on sintra having a lot of fun :p
Then I went on to correct the back part of the helmet:

comparison_side2.jpg

The green line is the original shape.
The red line is the former shape of the helmet
The yellow line is the new line of the helmet.

Also, as you can see, camera angle changes things a lot!
On the other picture of my helmet over shaw's face, it looked like the helmet was too short height wise...on this pictures looks even longer :D

I'll keep cheching!

Last edited:

I am a great admirer of your work Fulvio so this should turn out fantastic! All the different camera angles really tricked me a few times when building my Magneto, I think I go back and change something every few days at the moment! :lol

I'm following your post as well Joe and I think your helmet is just spot on! I guess this time we're using a similar technique :D I know camera angles suck big time for this movie. No precise shots :( Reference is really poor. Also, have you notice how the ornaments vary from angle to angle? ahhahah, it's been hell trying to get this right :D

How's the make up coming ? (that made me crack) :D

Here we go, small update:

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

This needs a ton of work done on the shape of the helmet, but I'm happy about the ornaments.
Also, looks like when wearing it, helmet it's where it should be. Pretty happy of the overall thing though ;)

Last edited:

Love the universal helmet concept! Also, your helmet looks to be coming along nicely. Can't wait to see it finished!

So, me not being picky, I've decided to get the ornaments off, since they were crooked a bit and not completely symmetrical.

I've also try to reshape the dome with some medium chavant. Thinking I wansn't oging to do a good job and not wanting to use bondo since I had a cold, I just tried. Now, it came out good, but I have a problem. Medium is not that tough and since I've a lot to do still, I keep getting my fingers and nails in the plastiline.

I wouldn't want to get if off and to the same thing with bondo...so...any idea on how to get the plastiline to get hard or to cover it with something....urethan resin? poliester resin? bondo? that thing is that they all heat up while curing and I fear they could melt the plastiline underneath...

Murphy's law is always accurate. I thought the dome would have sucked, instead it came out good ahahhah.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back