MADAME WEB

Oh right... Don't get me wrong. I wasn't necessarily saying that was a BAD or unoriginal concept. I was just saying it could dampen or hinder interest when the trailer seemed to really portray that concept as the hook.
I see where you're coming from, but, judging by the trailer, this seems like it's going to be a big part of the movie so I'm not surprised that they showed it in the trailer. I'm sure that if they didn't, there would be plenty of people, esp. here on the RPF, who would complain about it after watching the movie. They'd complain about it being bait and switch because the trailer didn't show any of this and made you think that the movie was going to be something different.

This could explain the lack of Peter Parker, if it is the way the film actually goes.
Madame Web Theory
There's no Peter Parker because none of these Sony produced Spidey-verse movies are set in the MCU, they're all part of their own separate universes. By that I mean that none of the movies they've produced so far exist in the same universe as each other. Venom is in its own universe separate from Morbius, which is separate from Madame Web, which will almost certainly be separate from the upcoming Kraven movie, and they're all separate from the MCU. The closest we go to any of these movies connecting to the MCU was in a stinger scene in either one of the Spider-Man or Venom movies where we Venom's alter ego/host, Peter Brock(?), sitting in a bar and briefly slips into the MCU before slipping back into his own, Spider-manless, universe.

There's no Peter Parker because the movie is set in the year 2000.
It's also because Peter Parker/Spider-Man doesn't exist in the universe(s) that these movies are set in. They're like the old Marvel & DC movies and shows where the titular character of the show or movie is the only superhero in their world and none of the other members of the Justice League or Avengers exist in that universe.

Why does this look so cheap and hilarious to me?

IMG_1931.jpeg

It's also because Peter Parker/Spider-Man doesn't exist in the universe(s) that these movies are set in. They're like the old Marvel & DC movies and shows where the titular character of the show or movie is the only superhero in their world and none of the other members of the Justice League or Avengers exist in that universe.
I'm not up to date on the Venom and Morbius movies but I thought they fixed it so that Spider-Man is in the Sony movies? They have that Kraven the Hunter movie upcoming as well.

I checked out the trailer. I remember Madame Web as an old woman. But we'll see what they do. I was most looking forward to the popular blonde actress as Spider-Woman. But she only has a few clips in the trailer. I watched bits of her in the first season of that hotel cable show which is hilarious as well as Euphoria and she's a pretty good actress.

This looked really bad to me at first and I couldn't figure out why. I like Dakota Johnson and the plot seems pretty standard fare...took me a minute to realize it's the music. Feels very...CW to me. Like the first episode is going to be her alone in the cafeteria writing in a journal about how no one understands her. Doesn't match the tone of what's going on. The movie might actually be good, assuming they didn't use the same sound designer that they used for the trailer.

This looked really bad to me at first and I couldn't figure out why. I like Dakota Johnson and the plot seems pretty standard fare...took me a minute to realize it's the music. Feels very...CW to me.

Wow—you nailed it.

That’s why this appears cheap and embarrassing looking to me…

Very similar:

Last edited:
The concept of going back in time to fix things has been done for decades. Groundhog Day being one of the most popular versions of it, but I remember watching a TV show episode in the 1980s where a man on a road trip that goes wrong was stuck in a time loop. He was only able to break it by ensuring everything goes right. Then I watched Groundhog Day and thought, "Hmmmmm, this seems familiar."

Side trail, I know... and everyone has their opinion... but in MINE, Groundhog Day is ALMOST a perfect film. Just a serendipity of solid cast, wonderful story, just the right amount of comedy, and released at the right time. Bill Murray was just being "Bill Murray," but in the best of ways.

(Plus, I had a crush on Andie MacDowell, and my future fiancé could have been her little sister)

Am I Right Bill Murray GIF by Groundhog Day

Andie Macdowell Please GIF by Groundhog Day

-XVnX28Pk1oBJnug9dDI4jt7V26cACLcB%2Fs1600%2FCole_J.jpg

Side trail, I know... and everyone has their opinion... but in MINE, Groundhog Day is ALMOST a perfect film. Just a serendipity of solid cast, wonderful story, just the right amount of comedy, and released at the right time. Bill Murray was just being "Bill Murray," but in the best of ways.

(Plus, I had a crush on Andie MacDowell, and my future fiancé could have been her little sister)

View attachment 1762468

View attachment 1762469

View attachment 1762470
Well, I think first and foremost congratulations are in order for your future fiancé.

But the one thing Groundhog Day never explains, in any capacity that I can recall, is how the Bill Murray character was able to figure out that if he just fixes everything that goes wrong that day he can break the loop.

One of my favorite movies is Constantine. I listened to the director's commentary wherein they say the movie doesn't have to overtly explain what's going on, but as long as the characters understand what's going on it will organically permeate the story. For example, when Constantine is about to remote view something he asks, "Which way is East?" and then reorients the chair. The filmmakers know the significance of that and didn't feel the need to explain it. Also, before he visits hell the woman asks if she should remove her cat from his lap. Constantine says, "Nah. Cats are always half in, half out anyways." Again. No explanation. But the filmmakers understood it.

I'm a fan of the MCU where a lot of weird stuff happens. I don't need them to overtly explain it. Asgardians can, inexplicably survive the vacuum of space. Fine. They don't need to look into the camera and make a statement about it. All Asgardians can breathe and talk in space. Got it.

So, all of this is a long way of saying...how the HELL did the Bill Murray character piece together the idea that he had to make the day perfect?

But the one thing Groundhog Day never explains, in any capacity that I can recall, is how the Bill Murray character was able to figure out that if he just fixes everything that goes wrong that day he can break the loop.

As I understand it, he never figures it out. After the many thousands of times, he has finally made his peace with it, accepted his reality, devoted his efforts to only helping people, and truly fallen in love. I believe that once he's fully accepted things, that's when the cycle broke.

As I understand it, he never figures it out. After the many thousands of times, he has finally made his peace with it, accepted his reality, devoted his efforts to only helping people, and truly fallen in love. I believe that once he's fully accepted things, that's when the cycle broke.

Attachments

• referee-ill-allow-it.gif
    referee-ill-allow-it.gif
    442.2 KB · Views: 21
As a trailer it is a complete failure for me. I was vastly more interested in what this projects potential could be before actually seeing what they put together. It will take considerable amounts of good word of mouth to get me to consider watching this.

Wow—you nailed it.

That’s why this appears cheap and embarrassing looking to me…

Very similar:

In defense of the CW Batwoman TV show, the first 3 or so episodes I watched were actually pretty good. I'm going to get back into it one day.

I'll tell you what I'm really concerned about, I read a while back that Olivia Wilde is going to direct a Spider-Woman movie. So I recently watched Don't Worry Darling. And although the movie looks good and seems well made. There is so much in the movie that says the writer or director is one of those people simply just steals from far better movies. Or worse possibly lacks true creativity.

Madame Web is going to be one of those cable movies for me. But watch it still manage to at least break even on an 80 million budget. A movie like the last absolutely horrible Black Christmas still made money. So I wouldn't be surprised if the business people behind Madame Web know what pieces of the audience they are getting for this movie. But we'll see. I've been wrong before.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back