Mad Max: Fury Road Costume Thread

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road Costumes Thread

That seems correct to me as well but the boots don't make sense. When they chain him to the car he's wearing the Under Armour boot. When he gets loose and moves around to the back of the car he's barefoot. Then once they crash/ stop, Max has his Rossi boot back. I think they know we're watching and are messing with us. lol

This topic has over 7,800 views. I'm sure someone reading this has most of the answers we're looking for and is laughing at all of us. Lol :lol

Speaking of photoshopped promos, has anyone else noticed the shotgun Max is holding in the poster is the Haw San Toys airsoft with the barrel plugs removed; which looks nothing like the shotgun he has in the photograph with Nux and the door.

PosterShotgun.png

Speaking of photoshopped promos, has anyone else noticed the shotgun Max is holding in the poster is the Haw San Toys airsoft with the barrel plugs removed; which looks nothing like the shotgun he has in the photograph with Nux and the door.

View attachment 375654

The photograph of the shotgun with Max with Nux is also shown on the Entertainment Weekly cover.
promo shotgun.jpg
The posters do look extremely Photoshopped and staged. Maybe the shotgun used for those are just for the promos, but then again the Entertainment Weekly cover is also a promo picture, so I have no idea. Lol

Last edited:

Agreed, which is why they might aid in IDing pieces, but can't be counted on to establish chronology.

He has more than twice as much weight in the new costume...Where was all this ammo in the previous movies?

I've obtained the previously identified magazines and staged them in my vest to see how they carry. As CharlesHouse commented, an immediate notice is how quickly the way the vest rides and hangs changes with the weight of even partially loaded magazines. If this vest were to be fully loaded as depicted in our collection of photographs; it would be not only awkward to move about in, but also fatiguing for any length of time.

I echo his comments about all this ammunition too. The obvious lack of modern firearms and ammunition was an appeal of Mad Max 2. I hope this movie does not create a "Waterworld Smoker's environment" where there is an abundance of ammunition just for the reloading, not realistic at all given the level of societal deterioration depicted.

Another gripe I have is the manner in which the magazines are carried - ammunition up. As a Master Police Firearms Instructor with over 23 years of experience; this method of carrying magazines is a recipe for disaster, especially in a desert environment. Debris and sand will fill up your magazines and cause malfunction after malfunction making your magazines, and ultimately your firearm, worthless. This method of carry also creates difficulties with inserting and removing the magazine.

The magazines identified so far all have a prominent lip on the base plate. This lip assists with removing the magazine from a pouch; so it greatly interferes with rapid deployment when carried ammo up. Add the exaggerated curve of the AK-47 magazine and two inserted into the bottom pouch is a tight fit and a struggle to remove. I now know the reason the pouch flaps were removed is because it barely connects the Velcro with one AK-47 magazine inserted - it is impossible to close with 2. This vest was never designed to carry the style of AK-47 magazines used in the movie.

BaseLip.pngMagCurve.png

Now more than ever I am convinced the bottom right hand existing pouch is not used and one was customized for the movie. The existing pouch is not internally divided like the top vest strap pouches are. The fit of the existing pouch is so tight the base lips of the AK-47 magazines interfere with each other. The curve of the AK-47 magazines also interferes with the use of the forward pouch. The extra pouch space around the Berretta and Uzi magazines creates the tendency for those magazines to move behind the other and ride up.

VestPouch.pngVestPouch1.pngVestPouch2.pngVestPouch3.png

Looking again at the available images provides evidence for two separate pouches in this location as you can clearly see a distinct division of pouches in this image.

DividedPouches.jpg

Looking again at the available images provides evidence for two separate pouches in this location as you can clearly see a distinct division of pouches in this image.

View attachment 376520
Good observations, Bonanza . I'm wondering what is that black part sticking out the bottom there. I'm guessing something is held there by webbing like the shotgun shells in the other picture. I'm also wondering what pouch is that on the side of it. The seam doesn't match any of the pouches on the vest

Last edited:

I agree the seam is unique at this point. It definitely does not match the stitching of the strap pouches. I think the black portion is actually a shotgun shell. I think the pouch has two rows of elastic stitched on, possibly a coyote color or really dirtied khaki to match the nutria color of the original vest.

I think he may also have shotgun shell carriers on the left side of his vest as well. In the photo below you can see a panel lifted away from the base of the vest. It is obviously not the screen mesh of the base and in the middle you can almost make out the brass lip of a shotgun shell. This platform almost looks as if it may be double sided and if it was attached completely to the base vest, you could stuff two extended magazines down behind it as on the right side of the vest.

LeftVest.png

I agree the seam is unique at this point. It definitely does not match the stitching of the strap pouches. I think the black portion is actually a shotgun shell. I think the pouch has two rows of elastic stitched on, possibly a coyote color or really dirtied khaki to match the nutria color of the original vest.

I think he may also have shotgun shell carriers on the left side of his vest as well. In the photo below you can see a panel lifted away from the base of the vest. It is obviously not the screen mesh of the base and in the middle you can almost make out the brass lip of a shotgun shell. This platform almost looks as if it may be double sided and if it was attached completely to the base vest, you could stuff two extended magazines down behind it as on the right side of the vest.

View attachment 376952
Good point. Definitely looks like a lip of a shotgun shell to me held by the webbing. Now to figure out where that pouch comes from.

I believe where the 40 mm grenade round is mounted is also a modification to the vest. The adjustment straps for the backpack panel could be loosened and then stitched to form the loop for the round, but my vest definitely does not have what appears to be two additional web straps rolled up around the buckles to the front of this round. It could be that they are elastic loops too; either way, they are mounted vertically as opposed to horizontally.

I believe where the 40 mm grenade round is mounted is also a modification to the vest. The adjustment straps for the backpack panel could be loosened and then stitched to form the loop for the round, but my vest definitely does not have what appears to be two additional web straps rolled up around the buckles to the front of this round. It could be that they are elastic loops too; either way, they are mounted vertically as opposed to horizontally.
I noticed this too. Since they're rolled up the same as the other straps, I'm guessing they are the same straps and material used on the rest of the vest. Not sure how its attached though. The other straps wrap around the buckles so they don't hang loose like on the sides here.

(Pay no mind to the highlighted area)
5A_zps53b5f9de.png

jacket_zps6dc91ee6.jpg

(Also note that the bottom straps do hang loose and not rolled up)

The two by the grenade round doesn't look to have a buckle for it to be rolled into. I think an elastic strap is used for the grenade round. The strap close to his elbow you can make out the texture of the strap that matches the rest of the straps on the vest, but on the grenade the strap appears smooth in that photo. Not sure if the camera is not catching the texture or not though.

I wanted to comment on this subject as much as I am able, as I've seen MAD MAX FURY ROAD in advance screening ...twice now.
(Please don't kill me! :( )

Based off of the questions I've read through here, this is what I can add (with hopefully no plot reveal):

-There are, ostensibly, four versions of Max's outfit: Grizzly, Captured, On The Run, and Final Battle.
-The tubing on the shoulder is medical tubing, like in transfusions and such.
-Max's outfit/gear changes hands with characters-including his footwear.
-There is an earbud in Max's ear... and ithe style keeps changing in the movie!
-Three people drive the truck during the course of the film
-Yes,that is Max carrying Nux, and it does occur during the film.

And I would've preferred something else inside of the Glock pistol.
Perhaps a revolver or something more clunky yet durable.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

I noticed this too. Since they're rolled up the same as the other straps, I'm guessing they are the same straps and material used on the rest of the vest. Not sure how its attached though. The other straps wrap around the buckles so they don't hang loose like on the sides here.

(Pay no mind to the highlighted area)
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p108/xplay024/Mad Max Fury Road/5A_zps53b5f9de.png

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p108/xplay024/Mad Max Fury Road/jacket_zps6dc91ee6.jpg

(Also note that the bottom straps do hang loose and not rolled up)

The two by the grenade round doesn't look to have a buckle for it to be rolled into. I think an elastic strap is used for the grenade round. The strap close to his elbow you can make out the texture of the strap that matches the rest of the straps on the vest, but on the grenade the strap appears smooth in that photo. Not sure if the camera is not catching the texture or not though.

Is it possible that the two straps rolled up next to the GL ammo are the closure straps from the large pouch that was removed in that area? I havent tried to remove it yet so i dont know if the straps are sewn on seperate from the pouch. Maybe they rolled them up and stitched them in place?

image.jpg

I wanted to comment on this subject as much as I am able, as I've seen MAD MAX FURY ROAD in advance screening ...twice now.
(Please don't kill me! :( )

Based off of the questions I've read through here, this is what I can add (with hopefully no plot reveal):

-There are, ostensibly, four versions of Max's outfit: Grizzly, Captured, On The Run, and Final Battle.
-The tubing on the shoulder is medical tubing, like in transfusions and such.
-Max's outfit/gear changes hands with characters-including his footwear.
-There is an earbud in Max's ear... and ithe style keeps changing in the movie!
-Three people drive the truck during the course of the film
-Yes,that is Max carrying Nux, and it does occur during the film.

And I would've preferred something else inside of the Glock pistol.
Perhaps a revolver or something more clunky yet durable.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info, Randy and thanks for the link. Good read, it has me more excited for 2015. =)

I think this thread was trolled.

It's just been quiet since we haven't gotten any new material to go off on. I'm sure others who have been following this thread may have seen the screening too but are holding back because of spoilers, which I wouldn't want any posted anyway. Once more footage and pictures are released we can figure out more details along the way. That's part of the fun anyway.

Have any of you seen the couple of teaser pics for the Mad Max: Fury Road story in Premiere, October 2014 issue? Should be out any day, if not already. Anyone seen the story yet?

Pics show some details of Hardy's mesh/thermal shirt and the IV line braided thru the chains when he is bound to the front of Nux's car.

Also can be found at: http://tomhardyvariations.tumblr.com/post/99123925266/a-new-view-of-tom-hardy-in-the-mad-max

Mad Max New Pic 1.jpgMax Max New Pic 2.jpg

Maybe there will be some additional pics of Max's costume details and various incarnations. I for one am very keen to see the design for the leg brace.

Mad Max New Pic 1.jpg

Max Max New Pic 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Have any of you seen the couple of teaser pics for the Mad Max: Fury Road story in Premiere, October 2014 issue? Should be out any day, if not already. Anyone seen the story yet?

Pics show some details of Hardy's mesh/thermal shirt and the IV line braided thru the chains when he is bound to the front of Nux's car.

Also can be found at: http://tomhardyvariations.tumblr.com/post/99123925266/a-new-view-of-tom-hardy-in-the-mad-max

View attachment 385705View attachment 385706

Maybe there will be some additional pics of Max's costume details and various incarnations. I for one am very keen to see the design for the leg brace.

I saw this floating around but didn't notice the IV line at all. Thanks for pointing it out. Will be interesting to see these scenes come together on film. Hopefully we got more shots of the costume soon too.

Last edited by a moderator:

I was looking around at magazine pouches and came across these. The black one looks pretty close to the one on Max's left shoulder and has the elastic band that holds the medical tubing, the tan one looks close as well and has the double seam stitching. they also have the backing that goes higher than the front as we discussed the available pouches on the vest having no attached backing.

BK Pouch.jpg
Tan Pouch.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back