7.kevoris-Bill
8.LZeitgeist-Smile lol?? -2
9.szarchie-Archie
10.Darth Clayton-Jeff
11.GELForever-Martin
12.autoprops713-Dave????
13.RKW

Howdy,
Everything is still a go on the project. I just got back some pics of the photoetched pieces for the instrument panel. These pieces will be assembled and molded for the finished resin version masters.
on to the pics...

308edxf.jpg

2jdoqe0.jpg

4d52dck.jpg

Hi Pete,
Yes there is a speciafied scale. the 1/12 miniatures were 63" long.
The full scale version is supose to be 756" or 63 ft. You are correct this model replica is 1/32 scale, making it 23.625" long...do you want on the interest list too?

Will

well,
I'm not gonna lead anyone on thinking it will be an inexpensive model. I hope for this to be the definative model replica of the Firefox bar none, a super detailed replica featuring everything seen in the film, I'm hoping to make the cockpit canopy positionable as well. The invaluable reference (over 12 years dedicated research) I have will allow for this replica to be made to exacting standards, or better hopefully, than the original filming miniature
This will be a highly detailed replica of the film prop miniature, so it won't be a less exspensive version. Start saving now,if interested...there are alot of factors to dictate the final cost of such a beast, we'll see

Howdy,
well I just received a screen used 63"Firefox Wing tip, it even has specs and rips from the explosive charge set to the plane at the end of the film, the second Firefox,Col Voskovs plane. I'd say considering the material it's made from, carbon fiber with a urethane foam core, it has stayed in remarkable shape since 1982. I think fans will find it interesting to see the actual color of the plane. It is a very dark grayish blue, kin of hard to describe. I do recall a scene of the film where Mitchell Gant throws the toggle in a wierd pattern in order to avoid an incoming missle from the second Firefox, flipping the plane endover end. In this scene, the Firefox appears to be a silvery, bluish chrome, metal looking aircraft. This is a popular color desciption used when describing the plane from the film. I've recreated this bluish chrome color simply by taking a pic outside in the sunlight. It is actually the many layers of semi-gloss clear coat that is reflecting giving this unique look. These other photos show the wing tip in relation to my hand and keyboard.
I took the wing tip to the local paint pro shop and had them carefully scan it for color matches. They came up with three, though there is a lighter fourth on the bottom you may notice. with this new knowledge, I'll make the painting guide to match the 63" filming miniature photos I have, so that anyone can replicate it if they wish, including paint codes. With these paint codes it will look very dark gray,almost black, but with a slight unique blue hue to the gray just like the film model. In the mean time, enjoy the pics.
Sincerely
Will

35898xu.jpg

4gzc1ly.jpg

2yjucyt.jpg

2w3vpxx.jpg

47wfsdk.jpg

2jb4n6a.jpg

3y43l3a.jpg

2wcmiya.jpg

That's great news. Any progress on the model it self?

It's good to see that it looks blue in actual sunlight as I wasn't sure if it was caused by the blue screen. Your photo makes it look just like it did when it was flying over the ocean.

Although you can see the subtle changes in colour between panels what I can't tell from those photos is if the entire wing is semi-glossed or if some panels are left matt. The full scale mockup certainly gives the impression of a combination of matt & gloss panels but I can't decide on the filming miniature.

Making those panel lines remain lighter is going to be a SOB to do. I can't decide if it would be better to use a light wash and risk lightening the surrounding areas or simply dry brush in some grey pastel into the grooves.

howdy, sorry took a while to post,
Yes the entire wing tip and plane are clear coated...this is the reflection you see. When I spoke to the guy that designed and painted the final film version of the Firefox about 11 years ago, he stated that to achieve the varying panel look, the layers of clear coat had tints to them at various shading levels. After this, the entire plane was coated with clear semi-gloss as well as that UV coating for creating the matt for filming.
Best,
Will

To all,
I finally got a chance to do a tiny bit on the Firefox..worked up the nerve and worked on the instrument panel master, so far being all brass. Thanks again to John F. of MMI for the P.E work.
Best,
Will

2zoetf4.jpg

Howdy all,
while another project is priority at the moment, I did get a chance to mold and cast a test of the new masters for the engine nozzles and burner cans. I really like the results.
Enjoy,
Will

30ib5f9.jpg

47uf8sl.jpg

2mpbw9k.jpg

3yhg7j4.jpg

Those look crisp and full of detail.

Nice.

No hurry on my end as more time means more chances to save up. :$

Too many toys and not enough money.

Bruce

Firefox Interest list, in no particular order

1. Falcondesigns-Alexander
2. mbmcfarland-Mike
3. BrianM-Brian M
4. KarlBud420-Bruce
5. JediG60racer-Brendan
6. tardis55-Mark
7. kevoris-Bill
8. LZeitgeist-Smile lol?? -2
9. szarchie-Archie
10. Darth Clayton-Jeff
11. GELForever-Martin
12. autoprops713-Dave????
13. RKW-??
14. Hacksaw-??
15. Dobber- Chris
16. Hed-??
17. Jon Kunatz
18. Silvascoob-?
19. Hermes Trismegistus
20. DirkJello- Jeff
21. Hirgon

Howdy,
I was at the shop working on a couple projects and had brought the Firefox with me as well. I got quite a bit done on it waiting on the laser cutter files to run. I finalized everything on the nose, smoothed up the fuselage, and got the aviation hump behind the canopy all finalized. It's a match to the filming mini now. It was a slow process but worked out well in the end. Now she's all primered, ready to mold minus a little area in the rear where I need to fix a broken splitter on the inside of the engine shroud. Anyway, here a few pics of progress.
Will

mstr24c.jpg

mstr25c.jpg

mstr26c.jpg

mstr27c.jpg

mstr28c.jpg

Holy Guacamole, William.

Good to see you here and keeping the afterburners lit.

Wish I'd known about this site quite a while back.

PLEASE tell me you've had some luck with that helmet project you and I had been drooling over all this time- I'd love to know how far along you've come.

FX [aka Russ.]

Seeing the fuselage sat like that on the box reminds me of the scene from the movie when it's about to run off the edge of the ice flow.

Would make a good diorama for the model I think.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back