M-31 Firefox, scale plane replica

I reconize the the figures for this build. A budy of mine made them for you.
I watched massau sculped them for you. Yes he did do a good job capturing clint's look. He was right about your model, nicely done! I would like to be on the list but I too am a staving artist so I will wait to see if I can afford it
It is worth every penny you ask. The hours of work alone in doing this work then people don't even want to pay you enough just to make min wage an hour.
JR

Hey, William. It's been a while since I've checked this thread, I was saddened to hear about the loss of your father. :( You have my condolences.
Your model is coming along great, it looks incredible! I'm in awe of your talent. Can't wait to see this baby finished.:thumbsup

Bill

ok small update...
My friend who is a mold making master helped me make boxes this evening, these things had to be exact as the mold boxes will be key to ensuring a proper fit to tools being made within them. they also have to be interchangeable. here's the latest photos of this progress taken this evening. Now it's ti9me to clay up the master pattern for the RTV pour. Enjoy the photos.
Best,
Will
1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

First of all , thanks for the compliments, all of you and now

Here's an update.
I started laying up the fuselage this evening, while at the shop doing other things. I was able to get most of the left side clayed up and will build out to the box that will enclose the containment center. moving along again...
Best,
Will

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

This is looking fantastic! That clay up is top notch, not much longer now and you'll have a casting. Then it really gets exciting.

Little update,
I finally had a chance to clay up the remainder of the fuselage, now time to add registration and key system
in da mean time how bout some pics, enjoy!

Best,
Will

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

1c.jpg

1d.jpg

1e.jpg

Last edited:
not yet...had to mold up key system to be applied first...each urethane rubber casting takes 24 hours. I have four more castings to make..slooooowwwww geez!
Will

Howdy,
Big update here . I've been trying to finish off other pieces but had some time to work on the PP1 project. First, I finished claying up and adding registration keys as well as the perimeter key system. This permimeter key system took a wile to manufacture, but the result is worth it, then mold boxed the whole piece. After this was finished using mold release, I sprayed the entire project thoroughly. Finally after I was satisfied with coverage, poured the RTV. It's a lot of RTV silicone rubber as you will see, but necessary for this two stage molding process to work. After waiting 24 hours to demold, I carefully unboxed the tool and turned her upside down to remove the clay, being extra careful to ensure that the master pattern stayed locked in the upper RTV rubber mold. Removing the clay proved to be a breeze, as the mold release did it's job extremely well. After removing all clay( it actually came aprt in a couple large sections), I removed the perimeter key system, and boxed the tool back up for final RTV pour. Again waited 24 hours which ended this past evening so i undid the mold box once more revealing a large block of RTV silicone. Carefully I pried the halves apart and what you see in the last photos is the final result. My opinion is it came out perfect, no clean up and a major bonus in this field, the Master survived. Now comes the fun part, laying sheet wax in each half and remolding forming the resin cavity necessary to make hollow castings for the new resin hollow masters from which all final details will be added, bays recesses acess panels cockpit details, engine area details and what ever else is needed. Once this is done, I'll make the final tools . In the mean time, enjoy the photo documentation.
Sincerely,
Will
claybox1.jpg

RTVpourBox1.jpg

RTVpourBox2.jpg

RTVpourBox3.jpg

RTVpourBox4.jpg

RTVpourBox7.jpg

finalST1MD2.jpg

finalST1MD3.jpg

finalST1MD4.jpg

finalST1MD5.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. Been following the thread and really enjoy the step by step documenting. Even though i do not understand why you are doing some of the steps, Like the clay. Cool non-the-less

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back