Luke's "Jedi Equipment Box" + Interior and a year of found parts / builds.

Well done! I dig the backstory to your box's history. Did you have any issues with the paint adhering to it? Did you prime it first?

Cool stuff!

I think I may have those exact Kowa lenses sitting in a box waiting to be installed on a new set of my “famous” Custom Macros!

I even have a bunch of old Hirose connectors like the one you used on the side of your Eumig. Plastic and metal versions.

I really like the paint job on the box!

Well done! I dig the backstory to your box's history. Did you have any issues with the paint adhering to it? Did you prime it first?
Thanks man! I think all good "in universe" prop replicas should have a great back story, for me it's half the fun of building the thing and it really helps me with the weathering if you know the "history" of the box.

I did prime it and had no problems with the paint adhering. I didn't actually bother using any white paint on top of the primer, just went straight from primer to clear coat. I just used white primer and then painted the orange on over the top before a clear coat then weathering, I did give the box a really good cleaning first though to remove any oils etc.

Last edited:
Cool stuff!

I think I may have those exact Kowa lenses sitting in a box waiting to be installed on a new set of my “famous” Custom Macros!

I even have a bunch of old Hirose connectors like the one you used on the side of your Eumig. Plastic and metal versions.

I really like the paint job on the box!
I think those Kowa lenses are basically perfect. I was really drawn to them as soon as I saw them. I'd love to see your "famous" custom macro's when you've got them finished, what colour are you planning to paint the lenses? I was quite happy with the colours I chose, but I think there's probably even better colours out there that I may have to find if I build them again.

The Hirose connector found me in a box of old cables I had, it was excellent to find as I didn't have to go and break apart some old VTR or monitor with an EIAJ connection which was my original plan.

Thanks mate, I'm pretty happy with the box. Not bad for a first attempt anyway.

Thanks for the reply - I should have included this question with my original: to get the crisp lines over the knobby surface, did you clear coat the tape line before laying down the color? I looks like you managed to avoid any bleeding under the tape due the irregular surface texture.

This looks amazing. Coincidentally I bought the exact same box to store my Han Solo DL44 - greebled it up and added some aurebesh stencilling etc. I also just thought the box looked very Star Wars when I saw it!

Thanks for the reply - I should have included this question with my original: to get the crisp lines over the knobby surface, did you clear coat the tape line before laying down the color? I looks like you managed to avoid any bleeding under the tape due the irregular surface texture.
I believe I did clearcoat the entire case prior to the tape lines, but just a small amount of clearcoat. Then I waited longer than I wanted to for it to dry, after which I put the tape down and carefully pressed by thumbnail into the tape along the lines I was painting to make sure it didn't bleed through. Combined that with just doing very thin coats until the area was covered meant that there was very little bleeding.

This looks amazing. Coincidentally I bought the exact same box to store my Han Solo DL44 - greebled it up and added some aurebesh stencilling etc. I also just thought the box looked very Star Wars when I saw it!
Oh wow, got any pictures? I'd love to see a different approach to the same box! It's just the right size for a DL-44, I bet it looks great.

First I think it looks great. Any idea what this box was originally used for British equipment wise? GC
Thanks Mate, Absolutely no idea unfortunately I think it's probably some kind of weapon component. I'll try and dig out the before photos and see if they give any information.

First I think it looks great. Any idea what this box was originally used for British equipment wise? GC

Thanks Mate, Absolutely no idea unfortunately I think it's probably some kind of weapon component. I'll try and dig out the before photos and see if they give any information.

I can actually help out with that. According to the eBay listing, it was "Originally used to transport KITE Image Intensifier", which appears to be a scope/sight for a rifle.

I can actually help out with that. According to the eBay listing, it was "Originally used to transport KITE Image Intensifier", which appears to be a scope/sight for a rifle.
Perfect thanks Mate. That's the one. You've demonstrated yet again that theRPF is the place to identify random old objects.

One final find to finish off the year. A vintage Folmer Graflex (no patent). Stamped New York.

P1040456.JPG

P1040447.JPG

P1040453.JPG

I can't decide what to build with it, what would you do?

Last edited:
Here's the interior finally unveiled. I may do a couple of bits here and there, perhaps a couple of touch ups to the weathering but it's pretty much finished.

P1040460.JPG

The leather pouches on the top are attached via magnets, and behind it there's a little acrylic shell that holds Luke's Micro Welder. To the left of the welder I may add an Imperial Commlink at some point as I feel like that little rectangular area is just screaming out for something.

P1040466.JPG

In the bottom half there's a load of Jedi food capsules, which I know are completely wrong for the original series but they fit so nicely in the foam that came with the box I couldn't resist.

There's also a leather holder for the Kobold Droid Caller which expands to hold the lightsaber if needed. Also I know the lightsaber has the wrong D-ring, I will get round to swapping it over at some point, although I quite like the triangular one so I never end up doing it.

P1040462.JPG

Here's all the contents laid out (except the belt which I forgot to include), with the contents of the pouches next to them. I went with the Medal of Yavin for one pouch and a leather coin purse with Imperial credits inside (the coins are monopoly money).
P1040469.JPG

and there you go! My attempt at Luke Skywalker's Equipment Box. It was great fun to build and I learned a lot. I might sell it at some point (purely so I can build another one) what would you change for the next version?

Last edited:
Awesome! I was wondering what you thought Luke might store in his case. Really cool to see what you came up with.
Thanks TuckerMan, I'm pretty happy with what I came up with. I tried to go for anything that Luke would theoretically be carrying around with him, basically anything that he would have on his belt or in his pockets, excluding any Imperial devices that he has throughout E.g. Grappling Hook.

Very impressive !! I love the box! I think it’s perfect and ties into the swu. I can totally see Luke chuck this into the xwing…. Since you have a data port.. I would throw a couple of blinky square leds next to it! Give that port some purpose! :D:p
Fantastic job man!

Edit— I see a little round one! Perfect!

Very impressive !! I love the box! I think it’s perfect and ties into the swu. I can totally see Luke chuck this into the xwing…. Since you have a data port.. I would throw a couple of blinky square leds next to it! Give that port some purpose! :D:p
Fantastic job man!

Edit— I see a little round one! Perfect!

Thanks Triin, really glad you like it. SWU "in-universe" stuff is such fun to imagine. I'm really chuffed you think it's worthy. Haha, I love those little LED cases, I was very tempted to use loads of them, but in the end I thought one did the job.

I find it hard packing my own case for travel so no idea where i would start with what Luke would pack! Great work. You show that just because you have a budget to work with you can still get awesome results. Love it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back