Limited Run Luke Skywalker The Force Awakens Lightsaber

As noone has written about it, i need to ask: Has anyone else this defects on his saberhilt?

Wow well that sucks. I see what you mean. Either mine are cool or I didn't notice. I'll be checking it out when I get off work. Hope you didn't just point out a flaw with my hilts that I didn't notice on a hilt that I was really enjoying. Have you contacted Dan about it?

Not yet, i first want to know if more of these are out there.

To be honest, being here in Germany i have no idea what we can do to handle that. Shipping it back to him is at least another 30-40$, additional at least a second time 20% for customs when a replacement arrives, based on the price plus shipping (they want to see the paypal for proof). After that i´m at around 150 for the saber + 45 for customs for the one i have in my hands, then 35 for sending it back + again 45 customs for the import of the replacement. At the end it would be around 275. :(

And if i prefer it staying shiny in general, just slighly weatherd?

Being a machinist know i pretty good what i can do, but each way would bring me one or another disadvantage from what i expected - a saber that´s cleanly machined (as the rest of it is). Then i could have finished it like i want, not the way i now would be forced to.

When the first comes off the machine this way, the shop should have corrected the setup/programming, not going on as if nothing happened. More than one? It seems to be really bad (or not existend) QC, something i didn´t expect from Dan. Yes, i´m disappointed.

Then send it back and ask for a refund or sell it to a member who wanted one but didn't get one. Continuing to post about it isn't changing anything.

I don't mean that to sound as rude as it did. Had some wine with dinner, yelled at Comcast, and am just now sitting down.

Last edited:
You can try to use some sandpaper or to put it 2 or 3 time into hydrochloric acid then wash it with water. It will remove most of your marks and look like this

IMG_20160712_234417.jpgIMG_20160712_234355.jpgIMG_20160712_234402.jpg

i'm still waiting for mine. i paid july 1. i know it is in the process of getting here, so i am just building up anticipation for it... :)

Then send it back and ask for a refund or sell it to a member who wanted one but didn't get one. Continuing to post about it isn't changing anything.

Sending it back is definately no option - i don´t believe i would get back all my expenses (saber + shipping + customs + shipping it back). That way i would end with no saber AND minus money.

I think the most fun i will get out of it with waiting for the missing parts, put it in a box in the basement and store it away for a long time. Oh, and complaining, complaining and complaining, showing the pics as a proof of quality at each opportunity - until i feel better. ;)

So I got the tri-ring package in the mail....Minus the tri-ring.
The envelope is all mangled and torn and even has melted/burnt plastic on it! I'm guessing some machine broke and shredded a bunch of packages including the tri-ring packages haha20160712_171822.jpg

You can try to use some sandpaper or to put it 2 or 3 time into hydrochloric acid then wash it with water. It will remove most of your marks and look like this

I know, but i don´t want it that dull/dark.

The touchmarks at the edges are no problem, i can sand them and keep the remains for weathering.

The toolmarks are the problem - i know what they are (once seen can´t be unseen) and they are deeper than the smooth surface around. As the surface around is what it should be, i would need to sand these areas deeper to get it really smooth, which would change the dimensions/form. Not mentioning that i don´t want to put many hours into this, that´s why i bought a already machined one. Thinking it would save me time.

Wow, that's crazy - it seems I was in the minority, and really fortunate, to get my Tri-Ring!

To Lichtbringer - I do have some machining marks on my pommel, and from looking at some of the other 'got mine' pictures on this thread, it does seem like a lot/most of the pommels have them to some extent. I do intent to work on mine with sanding sticks to try to minimize them. While I get the impression that a lot of the sabers had them, yours does seem extreme.

DarkJedi360 - wow, I never considered anything like the acid weathering, but I like how it looks! How dangerous is that to work with, and how difficult to get access to?

my whole idea on these marks, and yes i have some myself is. star wars is a used universe. i dont mind them at all, i have a few machining lines on the outer cubes, some warm water and extremely fine sand paper, and a buff job will remove them.

i still think this is a amazing piece and love dan's work.

DarkJedi360 - wow, I never considered anything like the acid weathering, but I like how it looks! How dangerous is that to work with, and how difficult to get access to?

It's very easy to do, very quick (5 min) and acid is cheap.

You have to be very careful with acid and should use gloves, glasses and wear a mask.
I would recommend to use it outside.

I filled a plastic box with acid and another with water.

I put half of the lightsaber into acid, then remove it and wait. After a few seconds, it will start smoking.
You have to wash it with water as soon as it starts smoking.

You can repeat this process until you like the result.

If a part is getting to dark, you can use some sandpaper (1000).

That came out great. Im also intrigued by by percentage. Lowes sells 20% under Muriatic. Great call on the safety gear. Good idea to have baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) on hand to neutralize in case of an accident. Also, if you've seen breaking bad, you know you have to use a plastic container. :)

It's very easy to do, very quick (5 min) and acid is cheap.

You have to be very careful with acid and should use gloves, glasses and wear a mask.
I would recommend to use it outside.

I filled a plastic box with acid and another with water.

I put half of the lightsaber into acid, then remove it and wait. After a few seconds, it will start smoking.
You have to wash it with water as soon as it starts smoking.

You can repeat this process until you like the result.

If a part is getting to dark, you can use some sandpaper (1000).

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back