Luke Skywalker Disney+ Costume Reference Thread

Eruonen

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
UPDATE: Current theory is that Mando and TBOBF have entirely different costumes. Summary in post #65 of this thread. BOBF working theory visual breakdown by janglesworthy in post #52

Alright friends. I've delayed long enough. I thought I might figure some more information out before I posted, but alas, the more I study, the less I know. I really love the look of this costume, it comes across as slightly more refined than the ROTJ version (sue me, I like the PT Jedi layer styles) but it seems much less simple, unless I'm just completely missing something (a real possibility).

Needless to Say, Spoilers for Mando S2 and BOBF S1.

So first a lot of pictures, and a few obvious observations, then a plea for help :lol:

So here's the main 'hero' and full body shots. From what I have seen, the Mandalorian S2 costume and The Book of Boba Fett costumes are the same. (I have cropped and adjusted the brightness/contrast on most of these.)

boba-fett1x06_0847.jpg
mandalorian2x08_2870.jpg

And closer on the Front:
boba-fett1x06_0621.jpg

And closer on the back:
boba-fett1x06_0972.jpg

And a small detour for the gi-like undershirt:
boba-fett1x06_1357.jpg
boba-fett1x06_1402.jpg

So there a four apparent layers. The undershirt, the tunic reminiscent of the PT, a vest that appears to be almost unchanged from ROTJ, and then the 'stol' turned PT 'tabard'. Then the obi and belt. Here are a couple more angles for various details. Notice the back of the collar reveals that the outer layer is a vest. The sleeves appear to be the undershirt sleeves, meaning somehow there are two vests, the tunic, and the JOTJ outer vest. The stol from ROTJ that used to go around his neck now terminates in his obi, like Obi-Wan in TPM and ROTS.

boba-fett1x06_0842.jpg
boba-fett1x06_2889.jpg

starwarsVI_1481.jpg
starwarsVI_1595.jpg

boba-fett1x06_0785.jpg
boba-fett1x06_0647.jpg

What's really tripping me up is that I can't figure out which of the four layers extend below the obi, and where the heck the go when he sits down!
In the first picture I showed where he's sitting in front of Grogu you can clearly see his pants, and the end of the two sashes, but the undershirt, tunic vest, outer vest all seem to have disappeared...
Now I my theory about the outer ROTJ vest is that it is split in the center (see ROTJ reference pics), and that it's very easy to kind of pull apart to widen the center gap to more comfortable while sitting, but the undershirt, which we have clear pictures of is gone, and the second layer also appears to be missing. Suffice to say, I think there's something funky going on in the construction.

So, yeah, would love to talk about all of this! Help, insight, and discussion welcome!

Last edited:
Yeah I gotta say that unfortunately for films , they have to make it look good ( fashion over form ) in what ever scenes they are doing. Some of it doesn’t make sense ..Really what you need is to see a scene where he stands from a sitting position to a standing one to see how those layers work and flow…

What I would do is try to make the outfit from the most detailed standing position and work the outfit from that since it would be considered the hero view/shot.

I would also suggest ( even though it’s a different character / outfit ) is to check out Rey’s.
Here —> Rey’s outfit thread
Even though it’s not the same , some of the same hurdles and discussion about the layers were figured out and can be applied to the other outfits like Luke’s ( similar material types too imo )

Yeah I gotta say that unfortunately for films , they have to make it look good ( fashion over form ) in what ever scenes they are doing. Some of it doesn’t make sense ..Really what you need is to see a scene where he stands from a sitting position to a standing one to see how those layers work and flow…

What I would do is try to make the outfit from the most detailed standing position and work the outfit from that since it would be considered the hero view/shot.

I would also suggest ( even though it’s a different character / outfit ) is to check out Rey’s.
Here —> Rey’s outfit thread
Even though it’s not the same , some of the same hurdles and discussion about the layers were figured out and can be applied to the other outfits like Luke’s ( similar material types too imo )
Good lead on the Rey thread. I’m also hoping they’ll show us more BTS, like Mando.

If in doubt look for images of the Hot Toys (or is it Sideshow, I get them confused) figure. There is one coming out towards the end of this year based on Luke's appearance in the Mandalorian. I actually preordered it.

What behind the scenes specifically? For Mando? If so I can point you to some places too :p:p

The Rey thread has some close up exhibit shots too of other characters.. it’s all interesting how they chose the materials for the characters of SW. for example… I like the textile materials they chose for Boba when the Tusken Raiders wrapped him in his official outfit after they accepted him

If in doubt look for images of the Hot Toys (or is it Sideshow, I get them confused) figure. There is one coming out towards the end of this year based on Luke's appearance in the Mandalorian. I actually preordered it.
I will definitely keep a look out for this!

What behind the scenes specifically? For Mando? If so I can point you to some places too :p:p

The Rey thread has some close up exhibit shots too of other characters.. it’s all interesting how they chose the materials for the characters of SW. for example… I like the textile materials they chose for
Yeah, like for Mando. I’m assuming they’ll release some sort of BTS episode for BOBF as well that will show Luke.

It's Sideshow, sadly all the publicity photos are with the cloak on... so it hides a fair bit of the costume. Sorry for the blind alley comment.

I'd take a look at The Dented Helmet, I was surprised at the tangential information they do have. You might also see if The Rebel Legion has added anything yet... they're kind of the costume Bible for fans.

I don’t imagine they’d have info on Luke’s costume though. I’m just referring to the behind the scenes content that Disney+ released for both seasons of The Mandalorian. I’m hoping they’ll release something similar for BOBF, because they’ll have to mention Luke, and I can see some behind the scenes footage!
Oh yeah I did t mean to derail the topic.. was only mentioning because of the Mando comment.. they have lots of research over there. ( for both boba and Mando) but yeah… I hope they do too with bts :D

I would be careful with hot toys. They get things wrong, Ep3 Obi is a good example of them adding things that are not part of the costume.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back