Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

The official Star Wars channel on YouTube posted this video in light of the 40th anniversary of Empire yesterday:

There are some nice shots of Mark training with the V2 at 05:27. I believe this footage is known, but I'm not sure if it was available in 1080p yet. I also got the feeling that there are some additional shots of the saber in this video. Anyway, I thought I should post this here in any case. :)
You can really see that there is a lot more black paint on the hilt, but it has already begun to chip away... especially on the emitter. The brass paint on the windvane is also very visible here.

No wonder the V2 is this beat up. :eek:

Great video. Thanks.

I just want to say, we really have no reason one way or another to believe this to be the v2. It could be any of the stunt sabers made from the aluminum castings. And I also am not sure that they would use a rotating blades for practice fight choreography during this period.

Hmm - very interesting to note that at during 5.38 Mark's saber clearly has a black stripe ANH blade & at 5.28 there is a single frame showing how much flex it's getting on full contact. Together with the general welly they're giving it throughout this practice these are definitely not wooden. I propose this is positive evidence that at least some stunt blades at the end of ANH were composite (as has been speculated elsewhere).

Yea someone suggested they had a lot of fx blades on hand/unpaired and just used one of those? I asked because the v3 has shown no evidence of being used for fx really i dont think

I believe it is the V3 as Halliwax said, but it is interesting we do get to see the emitter face with some chipped paint at 5:45!

I believe it is the V3 as Halliwax said,
Just to help Halliwax feel at home again I'm going to disagree with him based on this view from the recently release higher res training footage - namely a whacking great gash across 4 of the grenade rings. IMO this is a previously unidentified cast stunt.

GashDup01.jpg

Y’know, we’re always trying to match up old footage and photos with surviving props, but we should remember that there are likely multiple versions of the same prop (especially stunts) which were lost, stolen, or destroyed. It could well be that numerous cast stunts were made, that only the V3 survived, and that we’re actually seeing some other, long-lost prop, here.

Just to help Halliwax feel at home again I'm going to disagree with him based on this view from the recently release higher res training footage - namely a whacking great gash across 4 of the grenade rings. IMO this is a previously unidentified cast stunt.

View attachment 1379974

I’ll argue until I’m
Blue in the face on this one mouse.. I’m so positive I’ll bet my life on it...

Is there a photo with a list of the NAMES of the pieces of the lightsabers? Because sometimes I see a word and have NO clue what I’m reading. Yuma? Pummel?

Help! Lol!

~Chuck

Is there a photo with a list of the NAMES of the pieces of the lightsabers? Because sometimes I see a word and have NO clue what I’m reading. Yuma? Pummel?

Help! Lol!

~Chuck
The pommel is the bottom part of the saber where the d-ring is. Yuma refers to the stunt fighting saber that was used for the sail barge fight scenes. Those scenes were shot in Yuma, Arizona. It is widely accepted that the Yuma lightsaber was later cleaned up and modified to become the Hero saber as we know it today.

The lightsaber guide book at the link below may be helpful.

Help! Lol!

~Chuck

IMG_9364.jpg

That’s the names of the sections

There are also names of the actual saber version

In the photo below

V1 hero too
V2 middle
V3 bottom
IMG_9366.jpg

Yuma is the saber he uses while swinging at the bad guys on the sail barge

Each saber has a nick name.. usually named something quick. yuma because that scene was filmed in the Yuma desert

Wampa graflex, the graflex used in the wampa cave

Dagobah/ ranch saber, the one used on dagobah..

Like others have said Seth has gone above and beyond cataloging all this information and storing in it one place

It’s an amazing read which he updates regularly when new discovery’s are made

IndyFanChuck - also note that Luke's ROTJ sabers were originally created as stunt/duel versions of Obi-Wan's saber from ANH, so the parts and their locations carry over from that:

saber comp.jpg

A couple of the terms carried over as well, simply for ease of discussion and probably for lack of better descriptors. "Wind vane" describes the part on the rifle grenade grip of the Obi-Wan saber prop - this part would spin and activate the grenade's detonator in-flight, after the grenade was fired from a rifle:

wind vane.jpg

"Booster" refers to the "recoil booster" part on a machine gun barrel, which was located just behind the flash hider on the muzzle end of the gun - this is the part on the Obi-Wan saber between the Graflex clamp and the faucet knob "pommel."

OB1 008.jpg

And of course the dictionary definition of "pommel" is a "rounded knob on the end of the handle of a sword, dagger, or old-fashioned gun." So, since a lightsaber is the equivalent of a sword, the term fits.

Awesome info! Thank you guys for educating me.

I mean this very sincerely when I say how INSPIRED I am when I learn all the amazing facts about how these props were put together. They are such a huge part of my life and I geek out over all the Lightsaber parts and info!

Thanks again for being kind!

Also quick question to make sure I understand. Obi Wan’s actual lightsaber (or one of them) from ANH became Luke’s screen used RotJ lightsaber? Did I get that correct?

Attachments

• BEB79865-7A43-48F2-81E5-834474CBD03E.png
    BEB79865-7A43-48F2-81E5-834474CBD03E.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 211
  • 1EF103BE-6248-4DAF-9466-47DD74B7569D.jpeg
    1EF103BE-6248-4DAF-9466-47DD74B7569D.jpeg
    677.9 KB · Views: 211
  • 18067722-148F-4BD2-AF43-1556AA72AB10.jpeg
    18067722-148F-4BD2-AF43-1556AA72AB10.jpeg
    682 KB · Views: 259
  • DA7F1E05-7BD5-4B8A-BBED-4517BDF57D8F.jpeg
    DA7F1E05-7BD5-4B8A-BBED-4517BDF57D8F.jpeg
    672.7 KB · Views: 264
  • 31652869-C980-495A-8D7E-4CF5009FD8CE.jpeg
    31652869-C980-495A-8D7E-4CF5009FD8CE.jpeg
    371.9 KB · Views: 188
  • 50D8CB17-58E5-4CB4-A39D-6E95E432AD1B.jpeg
    50D8CB17-58E5-4CB4-A39D-6E95E432AD1B.jpeg
    595.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 41E25738-B48C-432C-84B5-ACE6A8ABBF6E.jpeg
    41E25738-B48C-432C-84B5-ACE6A8ABBF6E.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 240

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back