Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

Sloth, one thing that's jumping out at me in your render is the thin silver right angle traces sitting non-centered on top of the wide vertical traces. To me, they are sitting perfectly centered and the blurriness of the source pic is the only thing allowing one to think they could be off-centered. Are you sure they don't contact the very top of the gold traces?

I know that the Team for the new battle front game was in the Lucas Archives...they posted this pic on their website...it could be a great shot of the V2 Originalsaber with the Vader stunsaber:

22128933sp.jpg

This was posted and talked about earlier either in this thread or the other. My thinking: it's a prototype for the MR V2. The original belongs to Brandon Alinger of the Prop Store. Check back to page 25 on for the info.

I know that the Team for the new battle front game was in the Lucas Archives...they posted this pic on their website...it could be a great shot of the V2 Originalsaber with the Vader stunsaber:

It's worth noting that, while nicely done, these are only 3d models of the props. But thanks for the reminder about them - they certainly seem to have been made with direct reference to the original items and could provide useful clues.

Edit: I found a blurb about the process they used to create the 3d models of original props and costumes for use in the game:

Part of that collaboration has been DICE getting access to Lucasfilm's vaults, the models, costumes and sounds of Star Wars. Using a technique called photogrammetry, DICE turned hundreds of photographs of real Star Wars props into 3D models, making the ships and Stormtroopers of Battlefront film-accurate. Fegraeus called the game's models "a perfect replication" of what moviegoers saw in the films.
http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/17/8444145/star-wars-battlefront-preview-release-date

And more: http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/how-we-used-photogrammetry

If there are any other angles of that Luke lightsaber model, they might provide some further reference on the shape of the lever.

Last edited:
Ah ok...I´m not really a lightsaberexpert.This 3D-Models are really well made.
I posted this because EA posted some great pics of real props from the archives like this ROTJ-Vadermask.So I was thinking the sabers could be also real.;)

22129119uv.jpg

Sorry to noob this thread up - but what are the options (or future options, given new references) for acquiring/building an accurate Luke V2? I take it this isn't a found part job like the other OT sabres, but I'm interested in the board and clip. I wonder why the clip was curved.

@anakinstarkiller is currently on working on run of the most accurate sabers to date (check Project Runs).
slothfurnace is working on the card/connector.
roygilsing is working on the clamp lever. Dunno why it's curved; the real-world part has been guessed, but never identified.
@Romansempire has accurate clamps (and soon to be Graflexes).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to noob this thread up - but what are the options (or future options, given new references) for acquiring/building an accurate Luke V2? I take it this isn't a found part job like the other OT sabres, but I'm interested in the board and clip. I wonder why the clip was curved.

Go back to like page 30 and have a fun read :)

I still believe that the longer lever is from another camera flash clamp or piece of camera equipment and not something random like a ski boot strap.

I think the Graflex lever broke and they just pulled the lever off another camera and replaced it on the Graflex clamp screw. I've been looking for a while without much luck.

I did come across this other brand of flash clamp and thought while not looking anything like the V2 lever it might help lead me to the correct flash clamp. I wasn't sure if it was the same size as a Graflex clamp but I snagged it off ebay cheap anyway to see how it compared.

28455071408964-vi.jpg

25455071405132-vi.jpg

Unfortunetly it's closer in size to an MPP clamp then a Graflex. I'll either re-work it with sidebars and make in a Vader or I'll keep it as-is for a custom build.

21455071401627-vi.jpg

22455071402182-vi.jpg

I'll keep looking for a lever on a vintage camera and if find anything I'll post it here.

I love those rivets inside that clamp, James Kenobi 1138. Are they rivets or weld spots of some sort? I would go custom saber with that if it were mine.

That's a De Mornay Budd clamp! The inside of that clamp actually squeezes together, it's not all one solid piece like the clamps we know. The lever intrigues me as well - a member sent me a pic of some flashes he's collected, including this one, and none of them have a V2 type lever. One does have a Graflex looking one, I'll have to dig through my inbox again. I agree it's from camera equipment though - keep looking everyone!

I remember someone pages back once mentioned the lever was from something called like a "camera boot clamp" but he never followed up on where he got it from.

i can't believe those are 3d images, they look so real!

They completely fooled me the first time I saw them. The Vader saber model has all the same scratches as the real prop (theres a long scratch crossing one of the screw holes on the right, for instance). I was going to say they could have scanned the V2, since it exists, but there are two clamp sidebars. If they paid attention to the holes between the grips on the ROTJ Vader, they wouldn't have added a sidebar to the V2.

Speaking of the V2, has anyone paid attention to the Windvane area? I'm wondering if there's anything other than black on there - I'm under the impression this prop got one paint job back in ANH and it could provide clues to what it looked like originally.

They completely fooled me the first time I saw them. The Vader saber model has all the same scratches as the real prop (theres a long scratch crossing one of the screw holes on the right, for instance). I was going to say they could have scanned the V2, since it exists, but there are two clamp sidebars. If they paid attention to the holes between the grips on the ROTJ Vader, they wouldn't have added a sidebar to the V2.

Speaking of the V2, has anyone paid attention to the Windvane area? I'm wondering if there's anything other than black on there - I'm under the impression this prop got one paint job back in ANH and it could provide clues to what it looked like originally.

Go back a page to post 1167--I've been trying to figure out the ANH paint job myself. I'm thinking a black coat over the whole "grenade" with a second bronze layer added to the "windvane." The thing I can't figure is the emitter. It looks less black and more gray. But the chipped paint on the V2 looks to be the same black on the emitter AND grenade. Hmmm....

I have no idea where the bronze color (antique brass, whatever) would end on the narrow windvane "neck" section, so my color job is kind of arbitrary, but this is basically what I see:

Attachments

• v2new.jpg
    v2new.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
When I look at the second pic (attachment 468804 above) I can convince myself I do. Again, almost a highlight.

I know when collecting old action figures, like GI Joes, that any with a metallic paint job are a hassle to find with the metallic parts in pristine condition. So you'll have, say, a vintage hooded Cobra Commander, and the gold paint on his belts will have worn away although otherwise he seems to be in great shape. So like I've said, the theory I'm going with is that the windvane had a black undercoat, but was given the bronze/brass color over top--not an uncommon technique. But the crappy metallic paint wore away SUPER easy, leaving only faint hints, traces, and highlights. Might also explain why the black on the windvane is less patchy than the emitter and booster. In addition to being protected from wear by being narrower--less contact with other objects because wider sections hit things first--it had another paint layer.

This is TOTAL speculation. But I see bronze in ANH and ESB. And a repaint between ESB and ROTJ makes little sense given the paint's condition. So I've constructed a narrative that makes logical sense to me. It's not evidence, but in the absence of better pics, it seems like an ok way to proceed.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back