Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

Point of interest. Hardenable (eg. aircraft) aluminium alloys are age hardening & not heat hardening. That is, they won't harden by heating & quenching. Left a few days after manufacture they acquire hardness by themselves, the crystalline change is slow & happens at 'room temp'. Pure ally - like mild steel - can only be work hardened. Stock tube ( & bar for that matter) is usually extruded so will have undergone some work hardening even if not an hardenable alloy.
What you're getting in your casts will depend on what scrap you are using & how long you leave it after casting.

A metallurgical test of the V3 & V2 would probably clear all this up but I doubt it would ever happen. I'm not sure comparing patina is a sure way to compare.

I've come across this researching for my saber experiments. I'm putting it here as it seems a more appropriate place.

Is this the 'V2' complete with cone knob ? - in ESB rehearsal. And if so is this old news?

OB1-V2.gif

Yep, the original wooden buck and an unfinished metal cast that were on ebay years ago just showed up at auction via Propstore of London.

I don't know how they found it, but I've been amazed. I hope someone here gets it and we can use either of them to hone our 3D models of the V2 and Shared Stunt (V3)

Boy, these undercuts are ugly but it's nice to see close-ups of this. It's a remarkably clean cast. I wonder how they went about making that pommel stump to cast based off of the wooden master. It looks to be cleaned up afterwards with a grinder but but the undercut of the pommel leading to the stump shows it was originally cast like that.

It looks to me that that it may have been a part of the pour gate and they hacked off the bottom. Like the original would have been cast similarly to the later resin pieces for RotJ, vertically with the end up. They may have realized the wood buck couldn't be cast in full (or as I've come to realize, too much of a headache) and only molded it up to the step of the pommel and the clean up on the one side of the seam line may have been for air traps. It certainly would avoid the problems I've only just overcome right from the start. The real practical downside is that you'd need to cast another one just to have the pommel.

I may have to try and experiment with another casting process to put this to the test. o_O

Going back to the V2 with cone knob in rehearsal - in ESB. I'm thoroughly confused by this. Everything I've read on the forum so far - including posts by eminent members - says that the cone knob was added to fill/disguise the old switch hole for it's role in ROTJ. So what's it (cone knob) doing here, on set, in ESB? There is zero chance of it (V2) making on screen so there is zero argument that it's (cone knob) a cosmetic addition. As It's a sticky out snaggy thing there's even room to argue that it could be detrimental to use as a stunt.

I'm not trying to start an argument just trying to get my head round this.

Everything I've read on the forum so far - including posts by eminent members - says that the cone knob was added to fill/disguise the old switch hole for it's role in ROTJ. ...As It's a sticky out snaggy thing there's even room to argue that it could be detrimental to use as a stunt.
I think there may have been a more practical reason for putting the cone knob (and, likely, the mystery chunk) in there. As you say, it could actually be detrimental to its use as a stunt/rehearsal saber (rehearsal, in this case). But, even in RotJ, there's no reason to fill it, aesthetically. It's not very big, and if you wanted to just cover it up, wrapping the thing in gaffer's tape seems at least as good, and maybe even better from an aesthetic standpoint, considering we never get any particularly close shots of it and it looks beat to hell anyway.

Pure speculation with little hope of confirmation either way, but: maybe they were holding some of the internals in place?

Yep, the original wooden buck and an unfinished metal cast that were on ebay years ago just showed up at auction via Propstore of London.

I don't know how they found it, but I've been amazed. I hope someone here gets it and we can use either of them to hone our 3D models of the V2 and Shared Stunt (V3)

I imagined it’s the same one from all those years ago

IMG_0440.JPG

I was just curious if anyone knew the story of how and who they bought it from

Tom I’ve searched prop stores site and can get the picture with out the fantracks logo on it. Have you found it on the prop store site?

I think there may have been a more practical reason for putting the cone knob (and, likely, the mystery chunk) in there. As you say, it could actually be detrimental to its use as a stunt/rehearsal saber (rehearsal, in this case). But, even in RotJ, there's no reason to fill it, aesthetically. It's not very big, and if you wanted to just cover it up, wrapping the thing in gaffer's tape seems at least as good, and maybe even better from an aesthetic standpoint, considering we never get any particularly close shots of it and it looks beat to hell anyway.

Pure speculation with little hope of confirmation either way, but: maybe they were holding some of the internals in place?

Having it as practical item - as you say fixing something - (in ESB) was also where my thinking was going & gaffer tape also would be more likely as a cover up whenever. But surely there would be something else less obtrusive that would also work as fixing item. They did have plenty of these cone knobs though as I discovered searching for more info (threads back as far 2010) but I can't find anyone/thread who specifically mentions the cone knob present during ESB filming. Seth's saber guide says it was for ROTJ or maybe before but that's as close as i can get.
There sure is something odd going on here that's not covered by 'just blocking up the switch hole with a greebly'.

It is very hard to tell.
Fortunately this is a rare case where a single reference is sufficient as just plain presence is the issue. That little sequence from 'birth of the light saber' shows a knob in the right place on a 'V' type hilt & this is also in correct relation to the D-ring for it to be the cone knob on the V2. This pushes the time line back well before ROTJ & adding the burning question why was it added ? Looks like we'll have to wait that one out.

I honestly don't see anything in that gif, sorry:confused:... It's another one of those things that are just too fuzzy for me to accept as evidence.

However, if it is there and since we've brought up PoB (point of balance) in hilts in another thread, by this time the motor would've been removed, if it is the V2, and the PoB of the hilt would be in the forward grip. If Bob Anderson had suggested adding weights to the other stunts, perhaps he did so for the fencing Obi Stunt as well, and the cone knob was just something on hand to help hold the weight in place. This is purely speculation on my part but considering we know nothing of the modifications for usage in the sequels of the OT, it's something that is plausible.

It does come with the caveat that if there is a solid weight in the motor chamber, a retention screw wouldn't really be necessary for it as just slotting it to fit inside the chamber, and then held in by the pommel, would probably have been enough to hold it in place, too.

After playing around with "cores" it became apparent to me that SOMETHING had to meet the blade tang in the V2. Simplest idea was a core in the motor chamber, or at the very least a nut inside there.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back