Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

I need some paint advice on my V2. I can't seem to get the peeling paint near the bottom of the hilt right. Anyone have any advice on how to achieve this effect without buying a stencil? I keep painting it with flat black enamel but can't seem to find the right tool to shave it off and create that peeling effect, so I am perpetually starting over. Are there special tools to use? Razor blades? Should I treat the metal with wax or soap before painting to make it peel more cleanly? Not sure where to go from here. My paint just looks scratched off when I am done The metal doesn't look clean underneath.

I'm going for kind of a MR look and not a totally weathered V2 look, so I want a clean metal beneath the paint.

popsicle sticks. i cut the ends at all different angles, i also use plastic forks and knifes

IMG_7120.jpg

here i am using the spoon to lightly tear the edge of the paint to give it a more "handled" feel

IMG_7119.jpg

here you can see the edges worn down after the spoon and popsicle stick trick

IMG_7121.jpg

Thanks Halliwax. It fought me. I thought it was going to be easy, but it wasn't. Even the D ring that came with it (unibody V2) was destroyed when I tried to pry it open. Luckily I had an extra wannawanga D-ring that was a little more flexible. This is all good though as it prevents me from thinking too seriously about building an R2D2. A weathered V2 is at the top end of my abilities.

Last edited:
What are the dimensions of the head of the square screw?

I took this from a barbell clamp. It's head is roughly .300" square.

8dc45101be16894dd1fb8a1fb149ddd3.jpg

The threading is definitely overkill for use on a V2. I can always chuck it up in the ol' lathe and trim it down/rethread with a die...

Maybe someone has already seen that, but in ROTJ, during the last clash between Luke and Vader, were there plans to make Vader having both sabers ? His own and Luke's? Screen ROTJ 1.pngWe can see clearly that Vader is holding something/a lightsaber in his left hand. Is that the ROTJ V2 ? Screen ROTJ 2.png

Yes, I've heard there was meant to be a moment that Lucas filmed where Luke threw away his lightsaber while he's hiding under the platform. Vader picks it up, and continues his goading of Luke. Luke then grabs the lightsaber out of Vader's hand via the Force, and the fight continues. Lucas cut this out of the final film, but you can still see the lightsaber in Vader's hand clearly in a few frames.
star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-13293.jpg

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-13294.jpg

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-13295.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I've heard there was meant to be a moment that Lucas filmed where Luke threw away his lightsaber while he's hiding under the platform. Vader picks it up, and continues his goading of Luke. Luke then gabs the lightsaber out of Vader's hand via the Force, and the fight continues. Lucas cut this out of the final film, but you can still see the lightsaber in Vader's hand clearly in a few frames.
View attachment 720007

View attachment 720008

View attachment 720009

That and isn't it Luke's saber Vader throws at the scaffolding to knock Luke down with the blade coming out of the pommel?

No, that's the RotJ Vader Graflex, only the blade was animated upside down:
http://caps.pictures/198/3-starwars6/full/star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-13019.jpg

It must be a resin copy or maybe rubber

we've recently learned that a solid cylinder of metal was used to anchor a lot of the stunt blades, especially the ROTJ Vader Graflex - that thing weighs a decent amount

I also see metal tape between the grips - a quick way of metalizing a prop - and the box is on the right, not in line with the "eye" socket. interesting prop though

Yes, I've heard there was meant to be a moment that Lucas filmed where Luke threw away his lightsaber while he's hiding under the platform. Vader picks it up, and continues his goading of Luke. Luke then gabs the lightsaber out of Vader's hand via the Force, and the fight continues. Lucas cut this out of the final film, but you can still see the lightsaber in Vader's hand clearly in a few frames.
View attachment 720007

View attachment 720008

View attachment 720009
Wasn't the original plan to have luke skywalker forcepull Vaders saber outta his hand and they continue fighting with each other's saber.a stunt that he also did again in revenge if the sith with obi one and anakin.you can clearly see obi one holding anakins saber when he is on top of anakin right before anakin forcepulls his lightsaber back to him from the ground.also he did it somewhat again in revenge if the sith with palpatine,originally anakin was there the whole fight between palpatine and the Jedi and palpatine forcepulls anakins saber from his belt and uses it to fight mace .if you watch the fight he is using the skinnyflex

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back