Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

Here's what I did to my booster section.i am gonna redo the pommel.i think it's pretty close,I used some acid,black clothing dye and a small amount of electricity,once the color changed I cleaned it up with a scotchbrite sponge then I buffed it to Being back the shine

Attachments

• IMG_2121.JPG
    IMG_2121.JPG
    821.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_2139.JPG
    IMG_2139.JPG
    830 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_2138.JPG
    IMG_2138.JPG
    722.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_2136.JPG
    IMG_2136.JPG
    755.9 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2137.JPG
    IMG_2137.JPG
    734 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_2135.JPG
    IMG_2135.JPG
    849.2 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_2122.JPG
    IMG_2122.JPG
    888.7 KB · Views: 150
Here's what I did to my booster section.i am gonna redo the pommel.i think it's pretty close,I used some acid,black clothing dye and a small amount of electricity,once the color changed I cleaned it up with a scotchbrite sponge then I buffed it to Being back the shine

lovely job matching!! :thumbsup

I'm curious about this method. Would you mind elaborating more?

I'm curious about this method. Would you mind elaborating more?
I first took some black fabric dye I got from Walmart,put that in a plastic container,then added acid(don't add dye to acid,always put dye first then acid cause it has a reaction if you put acid first then dye ,I learned that the hard way)once the two are mixed I took a 9v battery,I attached a wire from the neg side straight into the acid mix,then I attached a wire to positive side and attached the other end to the saber(I attached it into the hole from the set screw.)once you put the saber in the mix with the electric current it starts to make bubbles,you gotta keep checking it cause it starts to darken almost immedietly,and you don't wanna leave it in to long cause it can eat away the metal.i did it for 20 seconds then checked,another 20 then checked and so on until it was were I thought it should be.each time I took it out I had to dump distilled water on it to clean acid off.once it was darker I took it out and cleaned it off,first with distilled water then with regular soap and water.once it dried it was darker but completely dull,so I took a scothbrite sponge and lightly scrubbed it. Then I used a buffer that Is used to buff cars,I hit the boater area and it brought the shine back.one thing I did before I did my v2 was a practice run. I had some 2 cell graflite flashes lying around that I wasn't using so I did those first,getting a feel for how long to do it for,I saw what happens when I left it in too long,once I felt comfortable doing the 2cell I switched to my v2.i don't recommend doing it without a practice run first.

Has it been confirmed what kind of tape was used i.e cloth or plastic coated? It looks to me very similar to the grip tape that was used on old bicycle drop down handlebars
tape.PNG

I don't know for sure but I am under the impression it's normal cloth gaffers tape (anti shine)

Again this is just my own guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh ok thanks. I have only seen the shiny gaffer tape over here so I will have to start searching for a cloth version :thumbsup

mugatu was able to source some matte stuff. It's gaffer tape but the texture is smooth over the cloth, almost like fake leather.

Some photos showing off what I've recently done with my AS V2. Dunno if anyone will see what I did as I opted for a lighter touch of these details but it is there.

View attachment 703907 View attachment 703908View attachment 703909 View attachment 703910 View attachment 703912 View attachment 703914View attachment 703913 View attachment 703915
Mind if I ask what you did? It looks like a brown wash underneath the black - makes me wonder if it was repainted since the ANh shots show brown

Gave my parts several more runs through the dishwasher with different detergents, still never got anything close to the darkening others got, so I have no clue why. Going to have to go with the leather dye or aluminum black treatment.

Mind if I ask what you did? It looks like a brown wash underneath the black - makes me wonder if it was repainted since the ANh shots show brown

I detailed it here but I'll further elaborate:

I couldn't be bothered to strip off the paint on the neck or even mask it, as I wanted to keep the scratching, so I just opted for a light wash of this dirty brown mix I did and then a light dry brush after that. Before the paint could dry, I blotted it with a paper towel for pick-up to recreate the blotchy nature of the paint (on top of the black) on the neck that I see. Just finagling with my hilt, I've come up with some theories on my own as to how it looks as it does and one of them is that I doubt much anything happened to it after ANH as far as touch ups go. I don't think it was ever repainted and I also think that the tarnish on the booster is just from age. In a few close ups on the hilt from the Pop-Culture Quest show, I see the original sheen of metal where more paint has been flaked off. In fact, I think that darkness is actually just a difference in wear of the alu compared to the other parts of the hilt.

When I was aging my booster, when I removed the tape that was under my clamp to give it more grip, I noticed that under the tape, there was a great clash of color between that space and the surrounding metal. Where I handled it and where it was exposed to air, it looked lighter and duller. It feels so obvious to me now. Of course if you handle something for a long time, it would get lighter and duller. Naturally, it would! The booster, being covered in paint for most of its life, having had the paint worn away, the exposed metal underneath would look different from the rest of the body in color because it would've still maintained its luster and color. The rest of the hilt would've been handled more so it would've been naturally "buffed" with hands. Like a lucky stone, handling it a long time and rubbing one spot, the areas where it was handled would look starkly different from the rest.

As it is now, the booster has tarnished over time but in comparison to the rest of the hilt, where its been man-handled much more, it's darker in appearance because it wasn't handled as much and therefore "buffed" by hands, protected mostly by the paint on the booster.

Last edited:
I ran my TFA Luke Lightsaber through the dishwasher and I was really pleased with the results. I feel like the dishwasher process gave more of an even weathering than the oven cleaner I used in the past. I will be using this method on my v2.

IMG_9518.JPGIMG_9519.JPGIMG_9520.JPGIMG_9522.JPG

The dishwasher weathering looks great. When I was painting mine I never would've thought of that. Hell, I had a hard enough time trying to find anything that would weather it... & stick. I'd have thought the dishwasher would have only made it cleaner.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back