Luke Hero / Cave / MoM Build - DaveP Run

So, quite a few updates on this one! I planned on making relatively small changes, but after royally messing up my triangle plate while trying to accomodate a set of new triangles, I decided to expand my modifications.

Initially planning to replace the triangle plate with whatever exisiting model I could get, I decided to take the plunge and 3D-model my own along with new t-tracks. I had some time on my hands and knew it would be a fun test!

plate.png
rails.png

Had both printed through Shapeways, with the triangle plate in Brushed Silver. The latter turned out a bit softer than expected, but still very nice and after a bit of extra brushing it blends in very nicely with the aluminium.

IMG_2192.jpg

For the triangles themselves, I created small slabs of resin. After finding the right pigment, it came down to chopping them up and sanding down the cleanest pieces into the final triangles. Work in progress resin onslaught and painting of the rails:

DSC03308.jpg

DSC03313.jpg

To complete this round of modifications, I repainted and weathered parts of the grenade section to have a more accurate variation in size and also weathered the windvane to be a bit more in line with the current state of the prop -- more matte with a black wash on top.

Still a work in progress, but very happy so far!

DSC03338.jpg

DSC03328.jpg
DSC03330.jpg

Really happy here to have replicated the little peek at the reveal board underneath the clamp card.

DSC03331.jpg

And a few more updates!

I've finally had the time to switch out the LED's in the control box with 3hz-ish versions, which yields a result much closer to the original. Battery is running slightly low though, so they could (and should) still go faster! Thanks to Poikilotherm for inspiration by sharing his versions earlier.

Besides that, managed to get some work done weathering the windvane and rails, trying to find a look somewhere in between what I imagined the orignal prop looked like and the state it is in now.

DSC03340.jpg

DSC03344.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

Hylo133 I just received my MoM hilt and I was curious if you had any thoughts on spray painting the brass vs the aluminum windvane? I really like the weight of the brass.

I also painted the bottom rail and its looking pretty good! Thank for your inspiration :D

Hylo133 I just received my MoM hilt and I was curious if you had any thoughts on spray painting the brass vs the aluminum windvane? I really like the weight of the brass.

I also painted the bottom rail and its looking pretty good! Thank for your inspiration :D

Hi there! I imagine for the final look there shouldn't be too much of a difference. I haven't tried spay painting brass myself, but I imagine the paint wouldn't take very differently.

In terms of overall accuracy I'd go with having the whole hilt aluminum, but then again the extra weight of the brass is a nice touch!

And glad to have offered some inspiration, thank you for following the thread :). Definitely share some pictures of your final build!

Started the spray painting today! Yesterday I used acid etch primer on the brass and aluminum windvanes. Today I used ace hardware antique gold (humbrol was a pain to get right now). Also really happy with how the control box turned out!

Attachments

• IMG_20210327_110546.jpg
    IMG_20210327_110546.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20210327_110533.jpg
    IMG_20210327_110533.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20210320_193204.jpg
    IMG_20210320_193204.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 130
Started the spray painting today! Yesterday I used acid etch primer on the brass and aluminum windvanes. Today I used ace hardware antique gold (humbrol was a pain to get right now). Also really happy with how the control box turned out!
Great start! Are you planning on doing weathering or will you be going for a clean look?

You just steel wool the brass and submerge the piece then in a matter of seconds itll darken. Pull it out fast with some tweezers and dry it off with a paper towel. If you want it darker in some areas just use a q-tip and wipe it on the areas needed.
6$ i think on Amazon

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back