Luke Hero / Cave / MoM Build - DaveP Run

I'll just leave this here! Using modern SMD LEDs.

Really love that set-up, Dann. If I ever end up doing one of these again I'll definitely go with SMD's.

In the meantime I'm very much looking forward to receiving the new PCB from DaveP. Sourced a few parts from early 80's calculator I might add to it and curious to see how I'm going to fit it on top of the mechanics.

Very nervous to cut into such a lovely piece of work though!

what was odd was that for the blinking leds (datasheet) I found the low end Hz should have been fast enough to match the scene; however even using a 1.5v soloBattery they’re still not quite fast enough to match the scene. At some point I might try from a different bin (or more reliable vendor?)
View attachment 13507061.5Hz

View attachment 13507072.5Hz

I saw the 2.5Hz flickering LED you mentioned before, I bought a 2.5Hz flickering LED, and today I replaced the 1.5Hz flickering LED with the 2.5Hz flickering LED you said, which performed very well. The power supply is still 3V.(y)

View attachment 13507061.5Hz

View attachment 13507072.5Hz

I saw the 2.5Hz flickering LED you mentioned before, I bought a 2.5Hz flickering LED, and today I replaced the 1.5Hz flickering LED with the 2.5Hz flickering LED you said, which performed very well. The power supply is still 3V.(y)

That looks awesome! Might have to switch out my LEDs after seeing all these other great builds :D.

I finally had a chance to unpack my new PCB from DaveP and I have to say these things are absolutely awesome! Pictures don't do justice to how cool this thing looks in person. Major props to Dave.

Already made my first modification by cutting of the right side of the board to be more in line with the original prop, but I might just leave the other side the way it is for now. It looks too nice!

pcb-dave.png

Took the plunge and modified the other end of my new DaveP PCB and really happy with the results. Wiring set-up is similar to how it was before, with the addition of a much smaller switch box.

In terms of how it looks and functions now it's as close to the original prop as I could have hoped for :D.

*updated with some nicer images and video*

pcb2.png

In action:

Last edited:
Took the plunge and modified the other end of my new DaveP PCB and really happy with the results. Wiring set-up is similar to how it was before, with the addition of a much smaller switch box.

In terms of how it looks and functions now it's as close to the original prop as I could have hoped for :D.

*updated with some nicer images and video*

View attachment 1352665

In action:

View attachment 1352664

Please make and sell the electronics in kit form lol ...

Please make and sell the electronics in kit form lol ...
I appreciate it, but I already get frustrated enough working on my own builds :lol:. Especially when it involves tiny wiring and soldering.

Replicating a similar effect can be achieved without too much trouble with BRRogers wiring lay-out on the previous page.

Has anybody considered using and modifying Korbanths control box for this?

https://www.korbanth.com/products/ls6-gullwing-hero-control-box-with-light-up-function?variant=31284740161606

You could ditch the control box and use the PCB and battery. As the PCB is set up to make them flash in sequence ..

Video of them in action:

Credit to Khal at KR Sabers for the idea as I asked for his help and he suggested it .. legend.
I tried fitting the LS6 PCB, but it's too big to fit in the control box of this particular build. The electronics are also very close to the edges of the board making it practically impossible to reduce the size.

Rewiring the PCB to operate from anything but the set-up with the two black buttons also isn't an easy task.

Hylo133 Did you finish the saber/windvayne with a clear coat finish?

Hi there! All the painted parts were finished with a coating of Semi Gloss. No coating was used on the bare aluminium parts. I used a generic brand of clear coat, but would normally recommend to stick with the brand of whatever paint you might use.

The windvane actually had a double coating since the Humbrol paint is quite delicate. I let both coatings dry for about 12 hours before applying the next one.

Nice! Good to know. Been experimenting with the Ace Hardware Antique Gold with a matte clear coat on some scrap aluminum. I'm conflicted on which to go with since that Humbrol looks really nice.View attachment 1423670View attachment 1423671
That looks really nice. I don't think you can go wrong with either one of the two.

What I personally like about the Humbrol is that it looks quite different depending on the amount of light hitting it, much like what seems to happen on the original prop. The Humbrol on mine tends to look anywhere between a golden hue and a deeper copper tone.

That looks really nice. I don't think you can go wrong with either one of the two.

What I personally like about the Humbrol is that it looks quite different depending on the amount of light hitting it, much like what seems to happen on the original prop. The Humbrol on mine tends to look anywhere between a golden hue and a deeper copper tone.
Oh sorry I didn't actually explain the two pictures. They are both the ace hardware paint. The top one was direct light and the second was with indirect lighting.

Also did you use a primer for the aluminum before you painted? Or did the two coats end up fixing any weirdness?

Oh sorry I didn't actually explain the two pictures. They are both the ace hardware paint. The top one was direct light and the second was with indirect lighting.

Also did you use a primer for the aluminum before you painted? Or did the two coats end up fixing any weirdness?
:D All good.

I didn't use a primer, but in restrospect probably should have. Getting the paint to stick in the windvane area was quite tricky, taking a few tries to gently sand off any residue paint without chipping the main body of lacquer.

:D All good.

I didn't use a primer, but in restrospect probably should have. Getting the paint to stick in the windvane area was quite tricky, taking a few tries to gently sand off any residue paint without chipping the main body of lacquer.
Good to know! Thanks again and when I start that process Ill keep you posted how it goes :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back