Lucius Malfoy - Order of the Phoenix

iycis

Sr Member
I've been researching Lucius Malfoy's costume from Order of the Phoenix (he is also seen wearing this costume, without the over coat, in Deathly Hallows) for a while but I'm only now getting around to starting work on it. This will end up being done for Dragon Con for my husband.

The amber colored jeweled brooch, ring, and cane/wand will be coming from Noble Collection. The snake cloak brooches and the snake buttons were made by RPF member DZ-6489.

I attached a photo of the under vest fabric I picked up.

So, does anyone have an opinion on the color of the actual suit jacket? Is it dark charcoal gray or true black?

I've been researching Lucius Malfoy's costume from Order of the Phoenix (he is also seen wearing this costume, without the over coat, in Deathly Hallows) for a while but I'm only now getting around to starting work on it. This will end up being done for Dragon Con for my husband.

The amber colored jeweled brooch, ring, and cane/wand will be coming from Noble Collection. The snake cloak brooches and the snake buttons were made by RPF member DZ-6489.

I attached a photo of the under vest fabric I picked up.

So, does anyone have an opinion on the color of the actual suit jacket? Is it dark charcoal gray or true black?

It could be the bright lighting making it appear to be charcoal grey but, that is what it looks like. IMHO.... by the photos.... it is not black.

Yeah, I wouldn't have said it was black purely because I've heard that black can be really hard to film so if they want something to "look" black, they actually use a slightly lighter colour. I'd go for a dark grey unless you can find any pics from this costume at one of the exhibitions.

I think I may have already sent you a link for this, but check out my Lucius Formal Robes Flickr album as I've got a cracking high res image in there that shows you detail right down to the fabric construction:
All sizes | Best reference pic | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Of course I've been using your photos! :lol

So I think I will try to find a very dark charcoal gray then. Thanks guys.

I would call it a black. Not all blacks are created equal though, and this one definitely shows light. You'll be hard pressed to find that dark of a grey, but you may not have trouble finding that grey of a black.

That probably didn't make much sense. The moral of the story is to approach it from both the grey and black angles.

I would definitely say it's black. The material probably has a slight sheen to it that reflects some of the light. I have a few black jackets like that.

Got the fabric. Got the mock up done in muslin. Ready to get cutting.

I'm having a hell of a time finding black faux fur with the correct pile. I looked at the links in a couple of the "faux fur" threads on here but haven't come up with anything I like well enough.

Dustin went and bought the Noble Collection rings, brooch, and wand cane. This costume is getting pretty expensive but I hope it'll be one of the most accurate versions out there when its done. I haven't seen almost anyone with a costume that was close enough to accurate yet.

Got my shoes this week and I am pretty happy with them. Not an exact match, but the best I could find after searching through hundreds of pairs. I ended up going with a pair of Stacy Adams Teague. Here they are right out of the box and as you can see they are entirely too shiny.

5987965425_7f1aff327e_z.jpg

Wiping down with a little acetone fixed that problem in about ten minutes. It did no damage to the shoes although it looks that way during the process as the wax is being removed.

5987966337_ab6f39279c_z.jpg

As I said not perfect, but probably as close as I am ever going to get.

Have gotten a few photos back from Dragon*Con, but we are still waiting on the bulk of the Harry Potter photoshoot pictures. Here are some of the best of what we have so far of the costume. I will post more as we get them.

6120230132_42732080ea_b.jpg

6115658503_abee9089f6_b.jpg

6128044389_5092efd5db_b.jpg

I think I'll put everything on my dress form at home to show the individual layers more because it seems like every photo I've seen of it yet, is from a side view.

He's a guy from Massachusetts. I have never seen him around the RPF, but I met him at Leaky Con as well as Dragon Con. If you have facebook, I'll PM you his Voldemort cosplay page.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back