Looking for "mold release" from local stores

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
I am in a bit of a pinch and looking for a quick solution to buying something that will act as a mold release from my local store (Walmart). Any advice would be appreciated.

I am in a bit of a pinch and looking for a quick solution to buying something that will act as a mold release from my local store (Walmart). Any advice would be appreciated.

I hear good things about Isopropyl alcohol and dish soap mixed together. Smooth-on actually recommends it in some of their documents. Here's an exact quote from one of them:

(1 part unscented dish soap to 2 parts 99% isopropyl alcohol works well) with a clean brush over all mold surfaces. Allow release to dry for at least 30 minutes.

And here's the link for reference: http://www.smooth-on.com/tb/files/Slacker_Tactile_Mutator.pdf

And in case you want to see it in action, skip to 3:00 in this video: https://youtube.com/watch?v=wd1fe4pMNa0

-Nick

Last edited:
Have you looked in the yellow pages? I always thought that art supplies such as this were only available in small quantities at hobby and art stores. Little did I know there is an entire industry that casts. The store that I found has all kinds of casting supplies.

TazMan2000

I've used Cake release form the baking section in the past, as long as you r able to wash the molded item in warm soapy water you should be ok

I can personally vouch for the Isopropyl and dish soap method; nothing sticks with that combo. Also, brushed on thinly, Vaseline is also a good substitute.

Dry lubricant with Teflon (or Cerflon, same thing). I've been using Liquid Wrench brand with great results, I get it from Ace Hardware.

For a silicone to silicone release I've used Vaseline in a pinch and it worked great. For casting resin in a silicone mold, I always use baby powder. I tried an actual mold release from a supply company and went back to the baby powder after just a handful of casts with the spray release.

For casting resin in a silicone mold, I always use baby powder. I tried an actual mold release from a supply company and went back to the baby powder after just a handful of casts with the spray release.

I have a questions about using Babypowder. I use i so that the resin flows into all the smaller details and eliminate air bubbles. But if i also want the part to be coldcasted How would i powder the mold?.. Or does the metal powder work the same as the baby powder so i don't need to use it?...

I have a questions about using Babypowder. I use i so that the resin flows into all the smaller details and eliminate air bubbles. But if i also want the part to be coldcasted How would i powder the mold?.. Or does the metal powder work the same as the baby powder so i don't need to use it?...
In my experience metal powders act VERY similarly to talcing a mold. I've cast some parts with intricate details without any noticeable bubbles appearing, all by coating the mold with my metal powder.

-Nick

Like Nick said, when you cold cast, the metal powder will basically take the place of the baby powder. So you only need the metal powder in those cases. I skip any kind of mold release when using metal powders for cold casting.

Just be super cautious with metal powder and use an appropriate respirator. They are not fooling around with the warnings on that stuff. I dropped a teeny bit of aluminum powder on the carpet in my office and now have a half dollar-sized spot of aluminum infused carpet. Nothing has gotten the powder out. Now just imagine that stuff in your nose and/or lungs!

Like Nick said, when you cold cast, the metal powder will basically take the place of the baby powder. So you only need the metal powder in those cases. I skip any kind of mold release when using metal powders for cold casting.

Just be super cautious with metal powder and use an appropriate respirator. They are not fooling around with the warnings on that stuff. I dropped a teeny bit of aluminum powder on the carpet in my office and now have a half dollar-sized spot of aluminum infused carpet. Nothing has gotten the powder out. Now just imagine that stuff in your nose and/or lungs!

I was about to suggest using a strong magnet ,but then i remembered that aluminum is not magnetic... How about pressing a vacuumcleaner nossle against the spot.

Dry lubricant with Teflon (or Cerflon, same thing). I've been using Liquid Wrench brand with great results, I get it from Ace Hardware.

I've seen you mention this before, how would you compare it to ease release 2000?

Blah, I've already got some uranium, thorium, plutonium, americium, and technetium in my lungs, what's a little aluminum. :p

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back