Looking for I robot NS 4 references

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Woodlake, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Woodlake

Woodlake Well-Known Member

I know this is a long shot, but I am looking for any references I can find for the older superseeded NS-4 model robots from "I Robot".
    I have ripped all the frames from the Bluray that show them (almost 4000 of them!), but apart from those I haven't been able to come up with anything else.
    The design work for the movie was done by Patrick Tatopoulos. I believe he may have released some art books, but I can't find if any of them conatin work from I Robot.
    I have the Cinefex issue (99) covering I Robot, but that mostly looks at the work for the NS-5's and Sonny. As far as I can tell ther is no "art of" book for "I Robot", or none that I can find anyway :(
    I don't believe any "physical" versions of the NS-4's were made for filming either as they were all CG (done by WETA Digital).
    I am currently trying to acurately model the NS-4 purely from the movie frames, but it's not easy! If someone has any other references they'd like to share, I be very grateful.

2. Mxlplx

Mxlplx Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I beleive board memeber Zorg has done an NS-4 head sculpt, IIRC!
    Do a board search and see what you come up with.

3. Woodlake

Cool - thanks Mxlplx. Looks like that is the only one that has been made at 1:1 that I can find (the Sideshow busts are 1:2).
    I did find one guy on the bc3pobuilders board who started a full size build of the FedEx robot, loosely based on the screen version (with the Zorg head), but it doesn't look like he finshed it.
    As far as I can tell no one else has attempted a 1:1 replica. Seems a shame because I think they are a great looking robots.

4. Woodlake

Here is a progress pic of where I'm upto with the modelling:

[​IMG]

5. mww13579

mww13579 New Member

i like where u are going, can i get acopy of this model?

6. nickw007

nickw007 New Member

Woodlake, I think your model looks great. Have you made any progress since your post?

7. Woodlake

I did make a little more progress, but I haven't touched it for quite a while. I will go back onto it eventually.

View attachment 257784

8. nickw007

nickw007 New Member

Woodlake, looks good, what software are you using to model in?

9. Woodlake

Cheers Nick,

It's modelled in Rhino.

10. nickw007

nickw007 New Member

Woodlake, if you don't mind sharing. I might be able to help out. I have solidworks and it shows I can import a rhino (part only), step and iges (part or assembly file). Let me know.

11. Woodlake

The model is essentially complete now. I just need to find the time to create the CNC files to be able to cut it out and build the fullsize model.
    I'm thinking I might go with the version that grabs Spooners leg seeing as I would only need to build the top half! :lol

12. nickw007

nickw007 New Member

Cool, if you wanted , I can have a figure 3d printed and mail you one.

13. G17RDY

G17RDY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

As you know I have a screen used NS4 torso in my collection, I don't mind giving you some reference shots and measurements if you tell me what you are after.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. G17RDY

I've also got a zorg head which is pretty stunning and looks as accurate as you would get. Prop store recently sold an ns4 head which was used for modelling I believe by the cg department as reference, I honestly thought after studying the pictures they're were selling a zorg head, yes zorgs replica is that close!!!

15. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

it was a zorg head, it was removed.

16. G17RDY

Haha, no wonder it looked so close!

17. zorg

yeah, take their descriptions with a pinch of salt ;)

18. G17RDY

They were obviously duped by the seller that they bought from, normally I think their diligence is rather good when it comes to the linage of props, it would be a massive risk to their business if they weren't 100% sure when they put their name to an item.
    Mistakes can be made but it does make you wonder about other items.

Anyway sorry off topic, let me know if I can help woodlake.

19. jontom

jontom Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi Paul,

I worked on the VFX for I, Robot, and have the 3D model file of the NS-4 as rendered for the movie (the work was split between Weta and Digital Domain). I can't send the file, but I can render out some orthographic views so that you can adjust your model to fit.

Movie Trivia: I did the texturing and lighting on the NS-4 that is in the sinking car and pulls Will Smith's character to safety. While barely noticable onscreen, the chest logo indicates that the robot is owned by "Weyland-Yutani".

-John

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  20. nickw007

nickw007 New Member

Jontom,

I would really appreciate some good views of your model of the NS4 (nester class 4).

21. Woodlake

Hi G17RDY - Thats very kind thanks you. I'll be in touch if I need that info. TBH I haven't touched this project for a while and now it seems to have had a flurry of activity all of a sudden!

Zorg, did you have any references other than the movie itself to create your (awesome) sculpt?

No problem at all - I'd missed the whole Prop store thing!

John, that would be fantastic. PM sent.

22. zorg

All I had for reference was the DVD.

Oh yeah, it wasn't a zorg head propstore had but a recast of a zorg head.

23. Woodlake

Wow, well done - you did a great job on it.

I'm glad it got exposed before it went to auction.

24. nickw007

nickw007 New Member

Jontom,

Did you work at digital domain? Did they have prop heads that they used to help with the lighting and effects of water running down the face of the ns4?

25. jontom

Yes Nick, I was at DD. The only prop robot we had was a full size Sonny/NS5, which was used for onset reference and most of the insert shots (Calvin holding his hand, etc). We had a full size car mockup too! (Wish I had sneaked some pictures of that)

All of the "wet look" seen on the robot that rescues Det. Spooner is a reflective displacement shader, designed to look like a smooth, reflective surface (i.e. flowing water).

Dug through some of the old assets over the weekend:

robot_small.jpg

torso_front_small.jpg

26. Woodlake

That's awesome John :thumbsup

Nick As far as I'm aware, there were no physical NS4's made for reference. The only parts that were made were for the fight scene at the shipping containers (one of which G17RDY has in his collection). Maybe you could confirm that John?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  27. jontom

As far as I know, they only made the few pieces that could lie in the sand and Will Smith could step on. It *has* been 10 years, but if nothing else there would have been reference photos of a practical NS4, and I don't ever remember seeing those.

28. nickw007

nickw007 New Member

$(KGrHqR,!mIFJpYzrhGlBSe8kneKug~~60_1.JPG IMG_2014011642395.jpg

Great pics Jontom.

I ask specifically, because I was hoping to possible validate a recent head I purchased. Claiming to be used from digital domain, and for that scene. I liked the story behind it.

29. zorg

that is one of mine or a recast of one of mine.

30. nickw007

nickw007 New Member

Zorg

I think I purchased one of yours several years back on ebay. He included a cast badge as well with the head. These two ns4 heads thst i have , definitely from different casts. The one I believe was from you looked like the fed ex robot in the opening scenes. The left side of its head is a little higher than its right side. This last one seems to be more symmetrical on the top of the head.

31. zorg

The blue and white one above is one of my sculpts/casts. End of story.

Z

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  32. dotails

dotails New Member

Do you know if anyone has produced a 3d model file for this head yet?

33. dotails

dotails New Member