Looking for I robot NS 4 references

Woodlake

I know this is a long shot, but I am looking for any references I can find for the older superseeded NS-4 model robots from "I Robot".
I have ripped all the frames from the Bluray that show them (almost 4000 of them!), but apart from those I haven't been able to come up with anything else.
The design work for the movie was done by Patrick Tatopoulos. I believe he may have released some art books, but I can't find if any of them conatin work from I Robot.
I have the Cinefex issue (99) covering I Robot, but that mostly looks at the work for the NS-5's and Sonny. As far as I can tell ther is no "art of" book for "I Robot", or none that I can find anyway :(
I don't believe any "physical" versions of the NS-4's were made for filming either as they were all CG (done by WETA Digital).
I am currently trying to acurately model the NS-4 purely from the movie frames, but it's not easy! If someone has any other references they'd like to share, I be very grateful.

I beleive board memeber Zorg has done an NS-4 head sculpt, IIRC!
Do a board search and see what you come up with.

Cool - thanks Mxlplx. Looks like that is the only one that has been made at 1:1 that I can find (the Sideshow busts are 1:2).
I did find one guy on the bc3pobuilders board who started a full size build of the FedEx robot, loosely based on the screen version (with the Zorg head), but it doesn't look like he finshed it.
As far as I can tell no one else has attempted a 1:1 replica. Seems a shame because I think they are a great looking robots.

Here is a progress pic of where I'm upto with the modelling:

attachment.php

Woodlake, if you don't mind sharing. I might be able to help out. I have solidworks and it shows I can import a rhino (part only), step and iges (part or assembly file). Let me know.

The model is essentially complete now. I just need to find the time to create the CNC files to be able to cut it out and build the fullsize model.
I'm thinking I might go with the version that grabs Spooners leg seeing as I would only need to build the top half! :lol

As you know I have a screen used NS4 torso in my collection, I don't mind giving you some reference shots and measurements if you tell me what you are after.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've also got a zorg head which is pretty stunning and looks as accurate as you would get. Prop store recently sold an ns4 head which was used for modelling I believe by the cg department as reference, I honestly thought after studying the pictures they're were selling a zorg head, yes zorgs replica is that close!!!

Prop store recently sold an ns4 head which was used for modelling I believe by the cg department as reference, I honestly thought after studying the pictures they're were selling a zorg head, yes zorgs replica is that close!!!

it was a zorg head, it was removed.

They were obviously duped by the seller that they bought from, normally I think their diligence is rather good when it comes to the linage of props, it would be a massive risk to their business if they weren't 100% sure when they put their name to an item.
Mistakes can be made but it does make you wonder about other items.

Anyway sorry off topic, let me know if I can help woodlake.

Hi Paul,

I worked on the VFX for I, Robot, and have the 3D model file of the NS-4 as rendered for the movie (the work was split between Weta and Digital Domain). I can't send the file, but I can render out some orthographic views so that you can adjust your model to fit.

Movie Trivia: I did the texturing and lighting on the NS-4 that is in the sinking car and pulls Will Smith's character to safety. While barely noticable onscreen, the chest logo indicates that the robot is owned by "Weyland-Yutani".

-John

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back