Looking for advice on making a replica Crabclaw Keyblade from Kingdom hearts

LollyPopGal

I've made props before using sculpting clay but I have recently wanted to get into using EVA foam and air dry foam clay. I'm wanting to start my journey off by making my favorite keyblade from the Kingdom Hearts franchise: The Crabclaw Keyblade. One of the main thing I am most concerned about is making the skeleton of the keyblade itself. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the skeleton? Right now I have a Walkie Chalk sidewalk wand that I think will be perfect but if anyone has any other suggestions or concerns I would love to hear them. Also, as mentioned earlier, I want to start use EVA foam and air dry foam clay but I don't exactly know whether I should attempt to use EVA foam to cover the skeleton of the keyblade or use air dry foam clay? Which would be a safer bet? Sorry if this is long and confusing but I would really appreciate any help with this project that I can get.

I like your project idea. I am sure you have your own ideas but here are some of my observations. I think you are smart to start your project by deciding how to make the shaft of the key. I am not familiar with the chalk wand product so I cannot comment on it's suitability. One concern is if it will be rigid enough. When you put the weight of the crab and waves at the very top they may cause the wand to bend or maybe flop around more than you would like. If you think you need it, you could stiffen the wand by inserting a wooden dowel rod into the center. Using a piece of PVC pipe from the plumbing section of a hardware store could be another option to use instead of the wand.

I think the waves at the top and middle would do well as sculptures. Also the shell at the end of the chain.

I believe the yellow rings (disks) in the middle, the “funnel-shaped ”sections above and between the rings, the mermaids, and the crab would work well made from flat foam. You could then “carve” the details into the surface. As you probably know making a real prop from art often requires some design changes. For example the fine “lines” of the crab legs and the arms before the claws can be hard to replicate in a real object. You could use bent metal rods to connect the “end parts” to the body. Another approach could be to make the entire crab, one unit. I would draw a smooth curve that follows the outside edge on each claw down touching the tip of each leg, ending at the shaft. This would give you a larger foam edge to attach the crab to the shaft.

I look forward to seeing how you put your design together.

I like your project idea. I am sure you have your own ideas but here are some of my observations. I think you are smart to start your project by deciding how to make the shaft of the key. I am not familiar with the chalk wand product so I cannot comment on it's suitability. One concern is if it will be rigid enough. When you put the weight of the crab and waves at the very top they may cause the wand to bend or maybe flop around more than you would like. If you think you need it, you could stiffen the wand by inserting a wooden dowel rod into the center. Using a piece of PVC pipe from the plumbing section of a hardware store could be another option to use instead of the wand.

I think the waves at the top and middle would do well as sculptures. Also the shell at the end of the chain.

I believe the yellow rings (disks) in the middle, the “funnel-shaped ”sections above and between the rings, the mermaids, and the crab would work well made from flat foam. You could then “carve” the details into the surface. As you probably know making a real prop from art often requires some design changes. For example the fine “lines” of the crab legs and the arms before the claws can be hard to replicate in a real object. You could use bent metal rods to connect the “end parts” to the body. Another approach could be to make the entire crab, one unit. I would draw a smooth curve that follows the outside edge on each claw down touching the tip of each leg, ending at the shaft. This would give you a larger foam edge to attach the crab to the shaft.

Thank you so much for your suggestions, I really love your advice on the details of the keyblade. As for the wand, it is made from a pretty durable hard plastic (sorry, I should have added that in the description).

Thank you so much for your suggestions, I really love your advice on the details of the keyblade. As for the wand, it is made from a pretty durable hard plastic (sorry, I should have added that in the description)

I love your suggestions for the crab. However, would plastic foldable pellets or silicone work as well? I'm thinking of finding a silicone mold of a crab to use for the figure? This is because I think the colors would really pop in the mold made that way?

I love your suggestions for the crab. However, would plastic foldable pellets or silicone work as well? I'm thinking of finding a silicone mold of a crab to use for the figure? This is because I think the colors would really pop in the mold made that way?
I have not used either product, but a molded crab sounds good. It would be much closer to the original art than my suggestion. Molding could also allow you to embed the finer (thinner) metal arms and legs into the creature.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back