Logan's Run ---- Life Clock

Jintosh

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
IMG_8688.jpg

Yellow%20lifeclock%20closeup%20small.jpg

The top image is of Kathy's crystals. The bottom image is of a crystal from Barry Lasky and purportedly an actual prop.

I used these as reference to make a 3D file in Tinkercad. (pic to follow soon)

IMG_8688.jpg

Yellow%20lifeclock%20closeup%20small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Logan's Run -------------------------- Life Clock

lifeclock.jpg

Here is the 3D file in Tinkercad. This is the original file before weathering.
The outside ring is simple. I used only 2 shapes and just alternated them and tilted appropriately.

Crystal 2.jpg

And here's with weathering using Zbrush's smooth tool. With crystal for comparison.

Thanks, mine will be with some kind of reflective backing. The other team is working on possibly adding a battery and light source to theirs.
Should be interesting either way.

Why trouble with a reflective backing? Wouldn't the right size watch battery suffice as a reflective surface?

A battery, yes, anything metal would probably do. Apparently past replicas have simply used a small piece of aluminum foil.
I'll probably try several things with different crystals.

Looks good. I'm thinking that the smoothing is more an artifact of both whatever casting process they used on the film, and the presumed casting from a film-used (possibly stunt version) for the one we all seem to have bought at a long-ago convention (I have a red one lurking around somewhere at the bottom of a drawer). Given the uncomfortable look of some of the tech end in the movie I wouldn't be surprised if the original intent wasn't fairly defined edges.

Anyhow. Minor quibble; to my eye, the inside edges of the "petals" on your model -- where they face the center -- are a slightly more acute angle than what is shown on the sample prop. It is closer to a straight line there...10-15 degrees maybe? Otherwise, it seems very close.

Some match better than others. I'll settle for very close. :)

Don't disagree, and don't want to quibble. But to my eye, one of the things that comes out of the overall look is the sort of two-zone definition; the core, surrounded by the petals. This look happens in the sample because of the roughly parallel lines between inner and outer elements creating a space there:

Crystal 2mod.jpg

But I totally understand if other people interpret the shapes differently! You saw a LOT more than I did when I took a first glance at is (such as the way the pair of petals are taller to the outside and taper in....)

Don't disagree, and don't want to quibble. But to my eye, one of the things that comes out of the overall look is the sort of two-zone definition; the core, surrounded by the petals. This look happens in the sample because of the roughly parallel lines between inner and outer elements creating a space there:

View attachment 514847

But I totally understand if other people interpret the shapes differently! You saw a LOT more than I did when I took a first glance at is (such as the way the pair of petals are taller to the outside and taper in....)

Yes, subtle. But there. The large outside petal is hard to define because all the prop petals are rounded and "soft".

I'll have to go back to the Sharp version of my replica, make the change, and then smooth it again.

Looking great! I'm hoping you'll be doing a RUN (see what I did there?) of these! I need one to sit by my Sleeper Gun.

nomuse was actually very helpful. Hopefully, he'll come back and examine the new design. I need to know if any more changes need to be made before sending the new design off to Shapeways. I've got the prototype design coming on Tuesday, so I'll be able to experiment with that before the updated design arrives. (the one I haven't even sent yet.) :)

Looks good needs to be concave though

Looks good needs to be concave though

ummmmmm........................

:eek

I start to see why the other guy just wanted to cast copies of the one he had.

1. how important is concave ?
2. What is the width of the crystal ? (prototype is roughly 1 inch)

Only important if you are going for what was used on the Production.

Yeah these are NOT easy to do slipping one in silicone would be much easier. :lol

Yours looks fine :thumbsup

Okay, I found a way to make the surface slightly concave in Tinkercad. Still have to smooth it out in Zbrush. Picture coming later.

Been following with interest. I think you see a lot more of this thing than I do...I'm pretty much playing catch-up.

Concave? Well, yeah, the bottom I suppose. For comfort (although I remember the one I purchased at a con so long ago always seemed to dig into the tendons..!) Top surface seems, aesthetically, flat, but that's just me reacting to the Dallas Shopping Center architecture look of the rest of the film. I suppose the center diamonds might be slightly fatter and fill in the space a little more solidly, but that could easily be the light and I wouldn't sweat it!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back