Like to start a ANH Han Solo costume - - Need Help

Just got a cosplay vest gooood quality lined but to long had to have six inches taken off at my taylor, but good price for a vest. Got it on ebay

Hey guys. It's been awhile. Nice to see this thread is still going.

Bonded Hawk... To answer your question, I was going to go the cosplay route. But I've had to put the ordering on hold. There are a couple of things I need to have done to the homestead first.

I will be buying from cosplay's ebay store, if I do get the chance to order.

Going Solo... How long did it take to get your order? Was the vest too long due to a measurement mishap or is that the way they come?????

Quick update... Just ordered a gun belt from costumebase. I hope I'm not too disappointed.

I may work on a scratch built droid caller while I wait for it.

For a droid caller, you can also look at some flashguns online. I've found some Linhoff ones that aren't accurate, but look "close enough." I probably still have one if you're in the market for it.

Here we go. My mistake -- it's a Leitz flashgun, not a Linhoff.

Anyway, here's what the one I have looks like:

5632924186_0b1222af76.jpg

It's basically that flash, but without the lower mounting bracket. Also, you can take the "reflector dish" at the back off so that it's just the black tube-like portion, and the top silver tube-like portion.

As I said, not at all accurate, but a similar style and a damnsight cheaper (when I got it anyway, for like $35) than an actual Kobold.

I have a Costumebase vest. Its a decent budget vest. Length was ok and a few easy alterations can go a long way.

Hi gang, quick update regarding boots. I was going to order rubber riding boots online from a place in the States, but decided to try and avoid the obscene extra duty charges.

I decided to check around the local tack shops in my area. Most didn't carry rubber riding boots in mens' sizes. However one shop did have a vinyl boot that looks really close to Solo's and they're on clearance ($50 CAN).

Here's a photo, they're called "swing" boots.

Let me know what you think...

I think they have the right look. I'd say go for it.

Just a thought -- A few guys have gotten on here and talked about this detail and that detail and how to make your costume more accurate while forgetting that you stated you just want a better than store-bought costume to go with your kids. There's a lot of good information already posted here and I hope it keeps coming. A tell-all Han Solo thread would be great.

Just keep in mind that the average person on the street won't know the difference between an ANH jacket and a ROTJ jacket. I say, find something you're happy with that will compliment your kids. If later you want to go screen accurate, you've already got a base to build and improve upon. Only the die hard fans will notice the inaccuracies. You're kids will think you're the coolest dad ever!

Just my two cents. Good luck!

Hey everyone. Does anyone know what the actual size/dimensions are for the Micronox gas cylinder tool on Han's belt?

I was wondering if a common CO2 cartridge would work?

I have the actual microflame one. The Micronox cylinder is exactly 2 1/2" long and 3/4" wide. A CO2 cart will work, but I believe it is a little thinner and longer.

Some progress...

Ordered the vest and pants and talked my mother into sewing the shirt out of some old fabric she had lying around.

Gun belt is on the way (sitting in customs)...

I purchased a droid caller from Propsplus on ebay. I received it a few days ago, looks great but still needs paint.

A bit of bad news regarding the boots. I ordered a pair of vinyl "swing" boots ($50). They were excellent for the price, but they ended up not fitting right due to the thickness of the boot liner. To get a pair that fit with a wide calf (for pants to fit in the boot) would have cost me $90 + shipping (special order). So I went back to the tack shop and opted to exchange them for a pair of rubber riding boots for $44, they'll do for my purposes. They look very similar to the vinyl boot. Only difference is they have a slight seam on top of the toe.

Another option, for future reference, is Soviet officer boots. That's what I use. They're the right height.

As for tucking pants into them, here's a tip:

Wear men's dress socks and put them OVER the pants so that the boots go on easier. Makes it much easier to put the boots on in the first place.

As for tucking pants into them, here's a tip:

Wear men's dress socks and put them OVER the pants so that the boots go on easier. Makes it much easier to put the boots on in the first place.

LOL, I learned that trick at the tack shop yesterday.

Better still - and more comfortable - stitch an elastic stirrup on the bottom of the pants.

RRR

That's the best way to go. I just stitched stirrups on my Battlestar Galactica pants to fit under my motocross boots and they work perfectly. Very comfortable, the pants don't move and it only cost me $2.14 - I bought the 1" elastic at Wal-Mart and the sewing kit at a dollar store.

Having never sewn before, I just hopped on Youtube and watched a few videos on how to backstitch, and done.

I received the gun belt from costumebase this week. I'm really happy with it. Sure it's not exact but no one I know will notice. It actually looks a lot better than I had expected.

If you have any questions about it. I'd be happy to answer them.

I also found a three hole belt at the mall, so I'm slowly getting there.

Can you post up a couple of pictures? I'm making my own, but I'd still like to see some just to see what it looks like.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back