Lighting up an AT-AT

Zaphod

Sr Member
Hey all,
So I'm working on the ERTL?AMT re-release of the AT-AT
atat7tr.jpg

Anyway, I wanna put a light in the "eye". Figured the bulb would go in the head and run through the body and down a leg, into a base. The base would have a on/off switch and a wire leading out to plug it into a wall.

Sounds simple enough right?

Problem is I don't know how to do that. Wouldn't know what watt bulb to use or what kinda wire, etc...

Can anyone help a guy out here?

Thanks in advance

PS: that isn't my model, just a pic I grabbed off google. I haven't assembled all pieces, so that I could put the wires in.

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

There is plenty of room inside that kit for a small battery pack. You could hide the switch in the detail of the leg transmissions.

A red LED would be easy enough to hook up too. So you shouln't need more than two AAA betterys.

A regular LED should work fine.
I put one in mine many years ago that worked for a few minutes till it blew up cause I didn't know about resisters. :lol

since there isn't that much of it showing through the slot one should be fine.
Just make sure it's wired with the correct voltage.

Personally I have no idea how to do that sort of thing.

Are you also going to add the pilots.
I modified some 1/72 scale pilots and built part of the cockpit for mine.
One of them has a nice burn mark on the back of his helmet.

I really need to dig that thing out and finish it some day.

D6

Hey I'm build that same model right now. I used a red LED, 470ohm res. and a 9 volt batt. with a on/off switch in the under belly. worked great. Still gotta put the legs on and do some weathering.

Originally posted by cobywan@Jul 19 2005, 05:08 PM
There is plenty of room inside that kit for a small battery pack.  You could hide the switch in the detail of the leg transmissions.

A red LED would be easy enough to hook up too.  So you shouln't need more than two AAA betterys.
[snapback]1036875[/snapback]​
I'd thought of that, but, I wanna leave the light on most of the time and don't wanna have to change batteries. That's why I wanna be able to plug it in.

Originally posted by division 6@Jul 19 2005, 05:13 PM
Are you also going to add the pilots.
I modified some 1/72 scale pilots and built part of the cockpit for mine.
One of them has a nice burn mark on the back of his helmet.

I really need to dig that thing out and finish it some day.

D6
[snapback]1036878[/snapback]​
Nah, not gonna bother with the pilots, couldn't fit them/see them with the lights.

Originally posted by wishbon7@Jul 19 2005, 08:05 PM
Hey I'm build that same model right now. I used a red LED, 470ohm res. and a 9 volt batt. with a on/off switch in the under belly. worked great. Still gotta put the legs on and do some weathering.
[snapback]1036998[/snapback]​
Do you know how I could do that, but, by being able to plug it in?

Originally posted by Zaphod+Jul 20 2005, 05:38 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zaphod @ Jul 20 2005, 05:38 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-wishbon7
@Jul 19 2005, 08:05 PM
Do you know how I could do that, but, by being able to plug it in?
[snapback]1037315[/snapback]​
[/b]

Yeah, just get a DC converter from Radio Shack that has 9 volts out. Tou'll probably need a connector for it which they should have. Just use that instead of the battery.

Originally posted by hotcranium@Jul 20 2005, 01:45 PM
Yeah, just get a DC converter from Radio Shack that has 9 volts out.  Tou'll probably need a connector for it which they should have.  Just use that instead of the battery.
[snapback]1037645[/snapback]​
Thanks.

Can you post a pic of it lit up?
I have the same kit and this sounds really cool. :thumbsup
-Goldenrod

Originally posted by wishbon7@Jul 19 2005, 06:05 PM

Pic looks great. And as for the watts, just ask a guy at radio shack how to work with LEDs. I asked before, and they were great, they showed me everything that I need to buy. Shouldn't set you back any more than $10.00 for everything. Good luck.

Originally posted by jonnytrooper@Jul 31 2005, 07:33 PM
Pic looks great.  And as for the watts, just ask a guy at radio shack how to work with LEDs.  I asked before, and they were great, they showed me everything that I need to buy.  Shouldn't set you back any more than $10.00 for everything.  Good luck.
[snapback]1046650[/snapback]​
Thanks for the tip JT

Can you post a pic of it lit up?
I have the same kit and this sounds really cool. :thumbsup
-Goldenrod

Here is mine. I just finished it last night.

[snapback]1046426[/snapback]​
Very cool. What did you use to for lights? Haven't had the time to finish this yet :( I was gonna get some translucent blue plastic for th window & get white lights.

Very cool. What did you use to for lights? Haven't had the time to finish this yet :( I was gonna get some translucent blue plastic for th window & get white lights.
[snapback]1047643[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Hey I used a Red LED with a clear winsheild. There is a 9 volt in MR. AT-AT's butt to power it.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back