Lighting in Captain Kirk's quarters, and other things...

agreed. when I researched the mesh panels used under the workstations surrounding the Enterprise bridge I noticed that the mesh used on the fan made show was quite wrong, compared to photos of the original. I designed 3d printable mesh squares that could be glued together to make a single panel the non-screen-standard size that I needed for my of workstation build.
I noticed that too when I was researching the mesh screens! Long ago I was researching these for designing a custom photoetch mask to make scale screens for my AMT Command Bridge model kit. Your thread revived that research and inspired me to (maybe) include one or two mesh screens somewhere in my remodel project. I haven't decided yet on a location or even whether it will be doable - probably somewhere under the desk if I do. I already have your Thingiverse "Windsor" grille file downloaded and another website bookmarked where similar grilles are sold, in case I decide to include this detail.

I think you might want to revisit your 3D file, though. The original screen appeared to have the horizontal lines slightly wider than the vertical lines, and in your file all the lines are the same width. Here's a pic from "Balance Of Terror" where you can see an example:
BalanceOfTerror.jpg

The vertical lines look to be the same width as the "diamonds" and the horizontal lines seem to be significantly wider. Although your mesh is very good and a much closer match than what was used for the TOS Set Tour and "Star Trek Continues", it doesn't have the distinct "rows" look of the original:
20200403_123743.jpg

Have you made any further progress on your office project? It was one of the motivations for starting my own project and I'm interested in seeing how yours progresses.

Last edited:
I noticed that too when I was researching the mesh screens! Long ago I was researching these for designing a custom photoetch mask to make scale screens for my AMT Command Bridge model kit. Your thread revived that research and inspired me to (maybe) include one or two mesh screens somewhere in my remodel project. I haven't decided yet on a location or even whether it will be doable - probably somewhere under the desk if I do. I already have your Thingiverse "Windsor" grille file downloaded and another website bookmarked where similar grilles are sold, in case I decide to include this detail.

I think you might want to revisit your 3D file, though. The original screen appeared to have the horizontal lines slightly wider than the vertical lines, and in your file all the lines are the same width. Here's a pic from "Balance Of Terror" where you can see an example:
View attachment 1375657

The vertical lines look to be the same width as the "diamonds" and the horizontal lines seem to be significantly wider. Although your mesh is very good and a much closer match than what was used for the TOS Set Tour and "Star Trek Continues", it doesn't have the distinct "rows" look of the original:
View attachment 1375659

Have you made any further progress on your office project? It was one of the motivations for starting my own project and I'm interested in seeing how yours progresses.
you're right about the mesh, it isn't quite right, but I'm happy enough with it so just going to leave well enough alone. I did a video on my PC workstation build: youtu.be/losLmykVCEQ and it's also on my woodworking blog: david-moody.info/woodworkingadventures/?cat=129

TOS sets also evolved between seasons. The Transporter Room was also painted purple for the third season. The darker color (purple) in Kirk's quarters was supposed to fool the eye into thinking that this was a darker ceiling. In fact, it was just an extension of the tall wall. Heavy, big studio lights were hung above to appropriately light the room. While LED lighting might be able to simulate some of this effect, it's hard to beat a giant Desilu light with gels!

I think this pic definitely sells the fact it was painted - note the silver tape on the purple section:
View attachment 1375640

If the purple color was projected, 1 there wouldn't be such sharp lines along the gray edges (above and below) and 2 there wouldn't be a bright light reflection on the silver tape in a darker shadowed region of the purple area.

If these purple areas looked gray in some episodes (and it's in Kirk's quarters rather than some other crewmember's) then it could simply be another of the many "whoops" moments of the show where they forgot (or were too pressed for time) to repaint it purple before shooting.
Colors also changed throughout the three seasons of the show. "Ceiling" areas like the purple one in the Captain's Quarters were painted that way. The countertops (also visible above) in the Captain's Quarters were painted a glossy black in the third season. The entire Transporter room was painted purple for the third year, too.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back