Lifesize E.T. sculpt, finished pics p3

Re: Lifesize E.T. sculpt

Lovin' it! Will be watching this with interest. Would love an ET bust. :)

Is the right (as you look at it) lower eyelid supposed to be that wobbly, or does it need straightened a bit?

Here's a couple photos of my E.T. I don't know who sculpted this. I bought it unpainted as a kind of "kit" from Monsters In Motion several years ago.

I tracked down Beverly Hoffman and asked her to do the eyes for me. (She made the glass eyes for the REAL E.T. in the movie.) She said yes and now my E.T. has "Cadillac" eyes. I couldn't be happier.

I had a guy named Dave Lowe rig up an animatronic mechanism inside the head so that the eyes would move left to right and around while his chest glowed red. (which explains the slight gap between the eye and eye socket) Unfortunately the electronics died a couple of years ago. Want to get it fixed someday.

I was sculpting my OWN E.T. when my good friend Willie Goldman showed me the E.T. for sale at MIM. I never finished my E.T. sculpt, but looking at photos of yours sure brings back memories.

I drove myself nuts trying to figure out how E.T.'s head looked, the proportions seemed to change in almost every photo I could find. There's a great "making of" E.T. book that has fantastic photos for reference.

Good luck with your sculpt! It's one of my top five all time favorite movies and I think E.T. remains a remarkable achievement in cinema.

Alan

Great start Frosty... I like the way you've sculpted the ridges etc around the eyebrows and the mouth area... I'd maybe make the folds on the eyelids more uniform though and with more of them ;)

Cheers everyone, i didn't expect a lot of interest in E.T., i allways loved the movie and the character.
And that E.T. is great moviefreak, never seen that before, cool, is it plastic?
good spot on the eyelid, i'll check that tomorrow howlrunner,
love that lifesize of yours alan, you should be able to fix it up.
Cheers phil, i have been trying to get those ridges right, hard to do in wed clay, i leave it to set up before putting details in.
I need to make up some smaller loop tools for those small wrinkles, i hate it when you sculpt in a wrinkle and it has that hard edge to it which is hard to then get at to smooth down, the referance i have is not uniform either, more or less wrinkles and ridges in different pics, i'm thinking the shapes etc are changed with the different animatronic skulls underneath.

Ahhh don't let the lack of some good tools prevent you from finishing this little masterpiece... Good hand made tools are great but just incase - heres a few links for really cool sculpting tools for the finer work ;) TIRANTIS and MOULDLIFE

Cheers everyone, i didn't expect a lot of interest in E.T., i allways loved the movie and the character.
And that E.T. is great moviefreak, never seen that before, cool, is it plastic?
good spot on the eyelid, i'll check that tomorrow howlrunner,
love that lifesize of yours alan, you should be able to fix it up.
Cheers phil, i have been trying to get those ridges right, hard to do in wed clay, i leave it to set up before putting details in.
I need to make up some smaller loop tools for those small wrinkles, i hate it when you sculpt in a wrinkle and it has that hard edge to it which is hard to then get at to smooth down, the referance i have is not uniform either, more or less wrinkles and ridges in different pics, i'm thinking the shapes etc are changed with the different animatronic skulls underneath.

cheers for the links phil, i'll check them out
I started changing around the eyes, adding more wrinkles etc to it, still got more smoothing and texture to do
DSCF9941.jpg

DSCF9940.jpg

Last edited:

Really nice job on your ET sculpt. :thumbsup

Are you going to custom make glass eyes or just hand paint the sculpted eyes.

Well i finally got a chance to carry on with this, reworked a couple of areas, and working on the back and sides now
DSCF0070.jpg

DSCF0069.jpg

That side shot is awesome. Great sculpt. Can't wait to see this completed. Are you going to put a light in his chest?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back